Throttle won't snap shut??

rockethead

Registered
The throttle worked fine till I messed with it and put aftermarket billit grips on. I don't think it's a figment issue with the grips I think when I messed with the adjusters I screwed up. Throttle tube won't snap shut. I can twist it and it will stay put instead of snapping shut. Throttle moves easy inside the housing. I've tried messing with the adjusters again but to no avail. And when I took oem tube off I broke tab off return cable so I can't put it back to stock to troubleshoot. Any thoughts or suggestions ? Thanks.

Rockethed using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304950970.356085.jpg

make sure the cables aren't pinched any where. Make adjustments at the tb's to give some slack to the cables. Sounds like things may just be to tight (no cable play).

Remove it, try a stock one. If the stock one works you know the new one needs to be trimmed down or something. If the stock one won't work it is because you have the return cable adjustment too tight, no play.

P.

The throttle worked fine till I messed with it and put aftermarket billit grips on. I don't think it's a figment issue with the grips I think when I messed with the adjusters I screwed up. Throttle tube won't snap shut. I can twist it and it will stay put instead of snapping shut. Throttle moves easy inside the housing. I've tried messing with the adjusters again but to no avail. And when I took oem tube off I broke tab off return cable so I can't put it back to stock to troubleshoot. Any thoughts or suggestions ? Thanks.

Rockethed using Tapatalk

If you broke the OEM tab off the return cable... ya need another one. That's why it's not snapping shut! The return cable, I believe, is what pulls the throttle back to it's original position.

ill have to get another oem throttle tube to try it out. im sure i have the adjustments wrong. i dont know which way to twist the adjusters at the throttle to give more play. either way i twist it seems no change.. it worked fine before i fiddled with it so i know i messed it up, i only messed with the adjusters at the throttle so IDK. there is some play like manual says to have just seems like nothing is pulling throttle closed. thanks for the responses and i'll keep foolin with it.

If you broke the OEM tab off the return cable... ya need another one. That's why it's not snapping shut! The return cable, I believe, is what pulls the throttle back to it's original position.

not broken cable tab. you know the little slot the cable fits into on the throttle tube, its the little plastic part that holds the end of the return cable, i can't put the oem throttle tube back on cause it wont hold the cable in position. ill find another tube and try it after i fiddle with it some more..

I just did the same thing, broke the plastic tab on the oem and all! I had a hell of a time getting the billet on and when I finally did it wouldn't pull closed just like you. I was however able to adjust the screws and tighten up the return cable and it snaps back perfect now. I don't know what else to say to do if that don't work tho....Good luck

Most likely culprit is the throttle cable is to tight. I see this all the time when teching bikes at the track. Try loosening the throttle pull cable so there is an eighth of an inch of movement in the throttle before you feel the cable pull. I'm sure this will cure your throttle return problem.

If that doesn't do it, chech the new grip for the possibility of the grip making contact on the left inside end causing friction?

Thanks tuff I'll check that out. I figured it's something simple. I never messed with this before so I'm lost a little.

Rockethed using Tapatalk

The shaded area is what I snapped off lol. I'll fool with it a bit more this evening.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304958595.302482.jpg

I just did the same thing, broke the plastic tab on the oem and all! I had a hell of a time getting the billet on and when I finally did it wouldn't pull closed just like you. I was however able to adjust the screws and tighten up the return cable and it snaps back perfect now. I don't know what else to say to do if that don't work tho....Good luck

Which one is actually the return cable and which way do I twist the screws to tighten it up? Twist em away from throttle or towards it ( if that makes sense) gen1 also.

Rockethed using Tapatalk

Not sure if your bike is a Gen 1 or Gen 2, but I have a stock throttle tube from my Gen 1 if you need one. Let me know.

Thanks,
BMW5

Does the grip have a little bit of side to side play?
Try to remove the bar end and see if it will do it then.
Bar end might be pressing too hard against it and putting it in a bind.

WoW thanks to the Org, I never even took my throttle tube off when I changed my grips. the left side I was able put a little muscle to it and pull it off. The throttle side I cut off. Use the good old hair spray and slid on my new grip and left some room so it didn't brush up against the switch housing also. Again thx Org turned out great.

Truth be told I don't remember which way I turned it without looking at it and I'm at work right now, I can check later when I get home.

Does the grip have a little bit of side to side play?
Try to remove the bar end and see if it will do it then.
Bar end might be pressing too hard against it and putting it in a bind.

It has a bit of movement when I shake it. Grip and barend are one piece.

Rockethed using Tapatalk

To reduce slack turn the adjuster barrel CCW. Increase slack Turn it CW. The throttle butterflies are pulled shut (by the spring) not pushed shut with the cable. The second cable is there so that if the throttle sticks, the spring fails or the other cable breaks it can be physically pulled closed with the second cable.

If the spring and cable is good check for friction in the tube or grip some where. Are you sure you don't have the two cable installations reversed on the tube? Routed around the cam incorrectly?

Where is the spring ? Yes the routing is correct. No friction or binding in the housing. Could I have lost the spring or something? It has plenty of slack/play just seems like no force trying to pull it shut.

Rockethed using Tapatalk

That's what I thought I read too :laugh:

Back