Why Helmets are good

Helmets :thumbsup: It would not have been a pretty site without it :whistle:

Kif_2034.jpg

Helmets :thumbsup: It would not have been a pretty site without it :whistle:

Wow BA! That would not have been good. Good gear made it possiable for me to be doing this fifteen min. after getting out of the hospital!

IMG00314.jpg

Yup totally agree.Its the law in our country too in Singapore.In Thailand the pilion doesnt need to wear only the rider.:laugh:

+++1 always on :thumbsup:, never ride without! I got used to wearing one riding, I can't ride without one no more!

Helmets are optional here in CT but I always wear one. I don't like dirt or bugs hitting me on the face when I ride.

I started ridingback in 1964, and didn't even think about helmets. Started wearing one after a bug almost knocked me off the BSA. While roadracing at Willow Springs I low sided off the Honda at 120 mph. Slid for what seemed a mile. My helmet was ground down to a paper thin strip of fiberglass, but my head was fine. I never ride without one, and I hope you all will do the same. Just think about an egg, and how easy it is to crack open, just like your head.

I took this picture of a road sign in Jamaica....mon.

member_2166002.jpg

10-4 good post. Never hurts to get a reminder of the impact of not wearing a good well fitting helmet.

to read about a bad mishap, or be told about one such as this one just doesn't have the same impact as actually seeing one. To stare death in the face often stirs a new outlook on helmet use and an appreciation for proper riding gear as well. Some have witnessed fatalities where a helmet would have likely saved a person, others have been in crashes where the helmet has been the difference between life and death (an elite club I pray I am never a member of) These are the ones that are passionate about helmet use.

I have a cousin that has a black 07 and refuses to wear a helmet. Helmets aren't mandatory here in IL. He's coming around a little and I keep praying he changes his ways before he finds out the hard way he isn't indestructible. I continue to not only tell him but also make it a point he never sees me ride without one.

I've got another dear friend who's wife is a coworker. Back in October of 2008 he was in an auto crash, had his seatbelt on, still took a hard blow to the head. He is still in a coma. Sure it's far from a motorcycle crash and sure he did most everything right to protect himself. But it's still a head injury. He and his wife also ran a very successful heating and cooling business. She is going to be forced to liquidate the business and much of their savings and retirement just to qualify for assistance with medical bills because they have already maxed out their insurance. Their health insurance has reached max payout and she is now on her own to pay for continued care. His chances of coming out, waking up, and not needing long term care are slim to none. He's not on life support of any kind so there isn't an option of just unplugging him and letting him go so someone has to pay for the care. Nobody here wants their loved ones to have to face anything such as this, especially if it could have been prevented by just choosing to wear a helmet.

Others on here argue different points as to why they don't wear helmets. For those I have a question. If I'm going to hit you in the head with a ball bat or anything else for that matter, would you want that hit with or without a helmet?

Wear them, don't be a statistic or the focus on a thread about how you would have survived had you just worn you helmet.

Thanks for the "heads up" :laugh: All kidding aside, I wouldn't be here if I had not been wearing my helmet a few years ago. My head hit the ground so hard it knocked me out for a few seconds (mercifully) and took a big chunk out of my helmet. Then when my tumbling body impacted the truck that had turned left in front of me it made a very deep gauge in the back of the helmet that would surely have sliced through my skull and into my brain. The initial impact with the road would have smashed my head open and the bottom of the truck would have finished me off if I had survived the initial impact with the ground. The plain and simple fact is that no one PLANS on going out and getting in an accident. I just happens. In the blink of an eye. And you don't have to be doing anything wrong to ask for it.
There isn't a helmet law here in Florida but I always wear mine.

Funny story: I was riding my M109R (only had it for a few months) when out of nowhere, this seagull comes in for a landing right in front of me. WHACK! right in the face. Thank God I had a helmet on. I was going 45mph. It would have surly broken my nose and knocked me off the bike. The cars behind me woud most likely run me over (just like they did the seagull that hit me). But I'm sure it was sure funny as hell to see riding behind me. :laugh:

Back