Why Helmets are good

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, another helmet thread. Why do you ask? Well I got called out at 3:30 this morning to a one vehicle crash and just got home awhile ago. No I normally don't get called out for traffic related stuff but this one had my departments crash re constructionist as well as a re constructionist for the Illinois State Police baffled. They at first thought we were looking at a homicide staged to make it look like a vehicle crash.

I'll spare you the boring details of the whole thing and get to my point. Driver of a 99 Ford Explorer crashes and in the process hits a group of trees. He would have been ejected had it not been for a tree. Of course he went head first into the tree. Cage drivers don't wear helmets of course, and this one didn't wear a seatbelt either. Needless to say the only injury visible was a head injury and a graphic one at that. I could provide detail and photos but I'm sure either would be enough to probably get this thread removed.

The point here that I'm getting at is the head is a very fragile part of the body. It does not hold up well even at speeds of 30-40 mph when it makes a sudden stop. This guy had his cage take most of the impact, a convenience you don't have on two wheels. Regardless of the mode of transportation the result is the same.

Bad part of this. The guy had kids, luckily they were not with him at the time. They will wake up this morning without a father.

Wear those helmets guys! If not for you, for those that are close to you. They aren't a guarantee but they do drastically help your odds of survival.

I always wear mine!Its law up here in Canada,but i wud wear it even if it wasnt.When I'm in the US and see these guys riding around without helmets,it just does not look right!

I hate em, but I wear em. I've already got a 3" scar on the side of my head from an accident when I was 16. The helmet did it's job but the strap broke and it came off after the initial impact. I can only imagine what would have happened without the lid.

Helmet law here in Mo. but I wear one even when I'm in a state that doesn't require one.:thumbsup:

A guy I know patures son @ my church got hit in head with baseball last year @ a game.

Starting getting lazt eye+having dizzy spells they think brain tumor has go to hospitol in nashville 4 operation.I wont be caught without my lid on even on my little 50.

A helmet isn't going to save you from hitting head-first into a tree at 30 MPH.... so along those points, in a car, wear your seat belt. I still don't understand why people can't take three seconds to strap one. ???

No helmet law here in Ohio. way to many Harley lobbyist in ohio ...lol.. Always wear mine. If safety wasnt enough of a reason. I dont like to eat the bug protein.::laugh:

I used to NEVER wear one, but the last five years of seeing pictures on the interwebs and now I'm scared to ride and I never leave the the house without one of my three lids. I'm just glad nothing happened to me in my stupid younger years.

I tip my hat to all of you who never throw a leg over the seat without a helmet strapped firmly in place. One thing I would like to remind everyone of, is a helmet is only as good as it fits. If your helmet is loose on your head, you can get seriously injured upon impact well beyond the fellow who has a proper fitting helmet. In order for a helmet to do it's job, it must fit properly.

Your Helmet should fit your noggin firmly all the way around with no room for movement but not so tight it's uncomfortable. It should also fit firmly along your cheeks. When you look in the mirror, your cheek pads should have a little skins pooched up along the top of the pads under your eyes. If anyone has doubts about how to fit a proper helmet, go to a shop who has a wide veriety of helmets and usually they will have someone who can properly fit you. Don't go cheap on a helmet. Your head is indeed the most vulnerable part of your body! :beerchug:

yep, im a firm believer in helmets and seatbelts. I dont even ride without my jacket in the summer. rather be a little hot and uncomfortable then having roadrash scrubbed at the ER...

A helmet isn't going to save you from hitting head-first into a tree at 30 MPH.... so along those points, in a car, wear your seat belt. I still don't understand why people can't take three seconds to strap one. ???

A good solid square hit, no you most likely aren't surviving it. However more times than not impacts happen at angles or glancing blows as many call them, as for me I'll take my chances with the helmet.

Good post Curt! :thumbsup:

Thanks, as always you can't convince everyone, but if it makes just one person stop and think and maybe wear a helmet where they otherwise wouldn't have, well then it was worth the time and effort involved. :beerchug:

Back