Why do people cover their plates in photos?

living in arizona in college i had someone in nebraska (i have never been to nebraska) printed up a copy of my plate and i got mailed several tickets thats why i do it, that was a nightmare

Okay, that would suck, but should be VERY easy to prove it wasn't you. :whistle:

Interweb has more prying eyes to worry about then just driving down the street. I don't expect anyone to break into my house and steal my stuff, but I have locks on my doors anyways...

I agree with safety/security reasons you pointed out. But what will stop the scumbags from doing exactly the same thing when you're out riding or when your bike is parked somewhere (in the mall, gas station, restaurant, etc.)?

Just thinking out loud here :beerchug:

A pic on the net exposes it to more thieves than just the ones that spot it while riding. An extra form of security is using a PO box kinda of a hassle going to the post office but people will have a harder time tracking you down either with your plate or someone who sees your driver's permit.

Many years ago, I had a brand new bike and riding gear stolen right out of the garage overnight while I was asleep with my family in the house. Really sucked to find out as a kid someone stole my prize possessions. Ever since then, I locked my bike overnight in my own garage. I chain my three bikes together then have a disc lock on each one. If I am away from home for an extended time, I park my pickup truck up close and tight across the garage doors to keep the thieves from getting my stuff out if they get in. Thieves suck!!

When i worked at a quick lube shop.. there were two guys noting the contents of the vehicles and signing up the "good" vehicles into the preferred club. This was a program that would keep your service history attached to your plate number... oh and whats your address so we can mail you coupons...and steal your stuff(that most insurances don't cover)

I cover my plates in pictures mostly because I know of arseholes that will scope out a desired make of bike that matches their stolen or whatever bike , and use that scoped legit bikes plate that they have duplicated , to run amok . The victim doesn't know , because his bike / plate is still in his possession , until he/she gets a visit from the law to please explain the often serious multiple traffic violations etc. . Also , I don't have any insurance . :mad:

Back