Why do people cover their plates in photos?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
What difference does it make if people see your plates unless you are in the act of doing something illegal?

Its so theives/stalkers dont run your tag number , find your address (along with other info) and take your bike ..... amazing the amount of info you get retreive from just a tag. Recently did this with guy my daughter is seeing, found some "dirt" out....

Its so theives/stalkers dont run your tag number , find your address (along with other info) and take your bike ..... amazing the amount of info you get retreive from just a tag. Recently did this with guy my daughter is seeing, found some "dirt" out....

I agree with safety/security reasons you pointed out. But what will stop the scumbags from doing exactly the same thing when you're out riding or when your bike is parked somewhere (in the mall, gas station, restaurant, etc.)?

Just thinking out loud here :beerchug:

because there are scumbags that work at DMV and if a theif wants to know where you live and have friends that work at DMV they can get ur address and try to steal ur bike, dont think it doesnt happen cause it does.

last year I know of someone who was walking by bikes at a cruise night taking pictures of license plates with their cell phone thinking he was slick. lets just say it didnt go well for him when the owner of the bike saw him taking pictures of his plate.....:whistle:

I agree with safety/security reasons you pointed out. But what will stop the scumbags from doing exactly the same thing when you're out riding or when your bike is parked somewhere (in the mall, gas station, restaurant, etc.)?

I feel that way too but i guess its better to take the "yeah you could get hit by a truck, but that doesnt mean help the whole thing happen by walking in the middle of the street" approach. On top of the theft thing add to that, what if a cop got a good description or dashcam of you and your bike but DIDNT get the plate? also just depends on how private you are too...some people have net stalkers and groupies lol

Wow, I guess I'm just too honest (or stupid). That never occurred to me. I wanted to post me new plate, maybe I'll just keep it to myself.:banghead:

Of course the people that scare me the most I meet at Busa bashes. :laugh:

Wow, I guess I'm just too honest (or stupid). That never occurred to me. I wanted to post me new plate, maybe I'll just keep it to myself.:banghead:

lol id probably post mine if I got a new cool custom one or something...im a walk in the middle of the street kinda guy unfortunately...always have been. I live more like if they want it come get it, id never know if it was from posting my plate or not. ive lost enough stereo systems out of my vehicles before there was ever an internet to think thieves need a plate to find what they want

It has nothing to do with Honest or stupid, it's called being pro-active in trying to cut the risk down.

I think most of the members here would do the right thing and not mess (steal) your bike.
However there are MANY guests on here, some wish they had a Busa or a bike and wouldn't
think twice about ripping someone off, given the chance. :banghead:

Think of it this way - you wear a helmet, right? For protection, does that mean you couldn't be injured or killed because you
wore your helmet, of course not. Same with not putting out extra info, does that mean that you couldn't have your bike ripped off.
of course not. Your just trying to lower the odds when you are pro-active. Like some one said, if they want it bad enough
they will find a way to get it. I guess that is what insurance is for, as a last resort, because you still wouldn't want it stolen.

Good point. We recently had some a-holes bust here for going to local bikenights and taking pics of bike & tags then stealing them. They had a person working at DMV helping...

Your tag is public anyway, and yes, those are some pretty nasty folks at the bash :laugh:

Worry warts i see it as. Do you cover it when your out riding or cover your plate when you go in a store? Who givs 2 flyin fukn watermelon seeds if someone gets your info address etc.

Plus i am sure a hacker can get your ip address from here and get your exact location. Pay your insurance and keep one in the chamber and live life.

Here you go. Insurance paid in full. :poke: I've got MUCH bigger things in life to worry about than someone wanting to steal my bike.

I'm WAY more worried about my bike being stolen at a hotel than at my own home...

Like Bots said, pay your insurance, and who cares!

Hell, i give you my address!

GsxrBots said:
Here you go. Insurance paid in full. :poke: I've got MUCH bigger things in life to worry about than someone wanting to steal my bike.

I'm WAY more worried about my bike being stolen at a hotel than at my own home...

Amen!!!

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

living in arizona in college i had someone in nebraska (i have never been to nebraska) printed up a copy of my plate and i got mailed several tickets thats why i do it, that was a nightmare

Back