Why are people religious

besause their parents teach them to be! just like language, what ever your parents speak you speak untill you are old enough to make your own decisions. Religon is mostly pier pressure, if you werent looked down upon for not beliving there would have been less belivers throughout history (maybe).

anyway i think people are religous because they are taught to think that way as children and it gets ingrained into their brain, and with so much of society following religous teachings it's hard to break away from the norm.

I was raised catholic and made to go to church and sunday school and did all that untill I got old enough to make up my own mind. After that i never looked back and moved on with my life without religon, and have been very happy. So for me I was religous because my parents made me be religous.

My "short" version (and it's my opinion only)...

People are religious because they have fear...fear of what happens when they're gone, fear of the unknown, fear of "this life being all there is", fear of not having a purpose in this world, fear of not seeing loved ones again...

And before anyone flames, I don't mean all of that in a bad way; I don't consider those that believe in religion as weak or anything like that...just an observation and also the reasons that float around in my own head...

Just my $.02

(usn04limited @ Sep. 07 2006,14:06) Now days ppl are religious because we have to have something to believe in.  Something that can not be tangible.  If it is tangible it can be proven wrong or can have faults.  If it is intangible, we can believe it is perfect and no one can prove us wrong.  

As a student of psychology, just my $.02.

Don

PS.  Use any, all or none of what I said.  I would be interested in you opinion of my thoughts.
Wow..

i agree. i see were ya coming from.

(usn04limited @ Sep. 07 2006,19:06) Humans, by in large, need the answer to the question, "Why?".  Originally the "Gods" were used to explain the inexplicable.  Science has explained a lot of things for us, ie.  Apollo's chariot doesn't really carry the sun across the sky.

Now days ppl are religious because we have to have something to believe in.  Something that can not be tangible.  If it is tangible it can be proven wrong or can have faults.  If it is intangible, we can believe it is perfect and no one can prove us wrong.  

As a student of psychology, just my $.02.

Don

PS.  Use any, all or none of what I said.  I would be interested in you opinion of my thoughts.
This why you can't draw or paint a pic of mohammed! You can't deface it, or mock it, or make it less than perfect.

some poor weak minded fools are easily fast talked into fear of retaliation for lack of servitude and eternity in hell, unless they pay Jerry Farwell and all the rest their life savings, some are born into religion so they dont know any different, some are looking for answers for the great or terrible things that happen to them.
I would have to say that 90% of the religious zealots are born into it. The freaks that shove it down our throats are just looking for attention. (Sorry Aunt M)

as I stare at a blank reply screen a million things come to mind at once so figuring out where to start is tough.
was christened greek orthodox,as a kid had to do the church things, as I got older,slowly religion fell by the way side and gave me a chance to think.
why do they pass a plate around? to get money to carry on thier or the clergys life to press more religion into more ppl to get more $$$.
God doesn't need my money, 20% that's ludicris, but if any of you pay that's cool, not my place to judge. churches have always been the most lavish all buildings, some even the tallest and most extreme examples of mans ability.They didn't get built for free...$$$$
So in a nut shell, church is big buisiness, and ppl want to be associated with wealth to give themselves a sense of belonging and to reserve a place in a socio-economic group of their choosing(some boast as to where they attend).
some may be trying to save thier souls, from damnation, but if the almighty can forgive just about any sin then why bother?(suicide I think is the only non-forgiving sin...or I could be way wrong).
Have you ever gotten up early to watch a sunrise? that's where I attend my church, fortunately I live on the east coast, great sunrise on the ocean.

So maybe it's the feeling deep in the pit of your stomache when you see something awe inspiring....Nah, I still think it's about the cash...my $.02

a lot of the people hear say fear, I say "Religion is a crutch for the weak." Do I believe in a greater power? sure. do I let it consume me or any aspect of my life? no.

Well where I work, I have noticed that the work groups that get picked on the most by management have a large number of personnel who convert to being "born again religious". These people were never outwardly religious in the past but since they are in dire striaghts they are now very religious. I think this proves some of the fear factor.

Just an observation.

Well some peole love relgion but don't know God and some people love God and don't like religion.
Religion to me is a set of rules and regulations set forth by a religious institution. Generally very strengent and unrealistic which is something God never intended.
I do not think in his plan he wanted everyone to "work" their way into heaven but rather just accept his gift, free of charge. I don't think saying 100 Our Fathers or Hail Marys is as affective as saying" Man I screwed up, help me to do it right next time Lord.

"I believe in god........just dont believe in the ones he's got working for him"in my opinion there are two differant kinds of religious,the one that might believe in a higher power know the differance between right and wrong and go living their life as correct as possible ,then you have your ..............          
bible thumpers, water walkers,the rightous those are the people i can't understand(mentality wise),as long as they live their life in the eyes of the lord (their lord)they can do no wrong,i've accidentally meet one that would brag how he could shat on everyone(cause we're all hethans)and come sunday he is forgiven and can start all over come monday.....remember.........
nowhere has there been more people killed or driven to kill than over religion. i wish people could live by these words............"don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see"

hey just my .02 everyone knows i'm nuts

people need a relationship with someone that has control and since we are limited in what we can control when we run into things we cannot control we look toward religion. this world has a lot of things happening and i look at it as there is to many little things working together somone has to be in charge. the chance that there is not God is greater than the chances that he exsist.
Saying that God does not exsist is saying that you can take all the parts of a watch throw them in the air and they will come down into the correct place and the watch will work. No someone had to put the pieces together in the right place to make it all work right.

i not leaving my life to chance i want the creator to make it work out right. aand he has worked things out right for me be it good or bad. It turns out good because i made it through.

(diesel @ Sep. 09 2006,09:50) What are the new colors for 07?
Fire Red and Brimstone Black
laugh.gif

<span style='color:blue'>Wow!  This topped asking what tire or oil is better? by far! I haven't been into what is called a church in so long it's a sin! I don't have to! to converse with my supreme ?? Yes i think religion is an anesthetic to the question of life!! us humans & maybe apes ponder!!! But i once was in a life threatening situation! In the middle of a 60 60 (Micro burst) or just a bad a** summer storm, in ocean so going adrift was a good possibility! Poorly prepared, not even a compass, small boat, almost out of gas, rain and wind so bad!! it was terror!! I started asking for help! I was such a hopeless case that is all i had left to cling too!! Just like on the TV the rain stopped, water was calm, land that i was aiming for was just where i intended it to be!!!  Man this does work!!! Well the promises i made in exchange for my safety! which included letting me get back to dry land, was forgotten when my feet were on it!! I think i did all the stuff the church goers wouldn't dare do, that night! We are all speed demons as long as we get away with exceeding life's limits!!! But when the flashing lights descend on you!! BTW what the he!! does FWIW mean?? [you can talk as long as you want... but just FWIW..] if the ape thing above bothers you? just think! gods work too! so why not?? Otherwise they are just smart sub humans that haven't evolved as fast! I probably say OH god this job sucks a few times a day!! Is that taking it in vain??? or talking to??</span>
rock.gif

sad.gif

smile.gif

<span style='color:green'>Go Atlantis!!! All a go, and gone! Wasn't there a tower of Bable???
rock.gif
</span>

FWIW.. = for what it's worth..

yes there was a tower of babel.. but that was in ancient mesopotamia.... had nothing to do with atlantis.

Babel was not much different than some of the spires on churches today.. or minarets if your islamic or buddhist temples.. etc.

nearly every religon has a fascination with things that point "up" to heaven and stand over everything else.

good opinions though.

and I applaude everybody for not taking something personal cuz there was plenty in there that could have been taken the wrong way.

I've never agreed with that religious folk are "weak" minded thing for the record.

I believe they just admit to themselves that they do fear things and would like some console, or a sense of what will happen. Some people that proclaim they don't need any reassurance from "something" are trying hard to deny to themselves that they are apprehensive/anxious/scared of what happens next when they close the coffin lid.

Back