Who Makes the Preferred Helmet?

Preferred Helmet Manufacturer

• Total voters
Shoei X-eleven, excellent peripheral vision, removable liner, light weight and lockable visor positions, love to ride with a small crack around town. Patiently awaiting 09's:-(

Your thoughts don't really give me much insight, but thanks for trying.

For example:

"...Shoei and Arai are known, typically, as industry leaders because they put the money they make into real research and development. Not saying that the other companies don't to some extent or another do the same thing, but not nearly to the degree of the generally perceived tops-of-the-line."

A lot of words, but not many helpful details. Reading more of your thoughts don't help either.

It sounds as if you are comparing Shoei and Arai to every other helmet manufacturer. I am comparing them to Shark alone.

Do you have any factual comparisons here?

I do know that Shark is relatively new to the US and head-shape makes all the difference in the world, but how long does it take to try on a Shark helmet? Sorry, Shoei just looks like a more dinky helmet compared to my Shark. Granted, it is one of their top-of-the line helmets and perhaps I have not seen the better Shoei's.

In the end you give Shark props. Sounds like you were just out for kill, but didn't have the ammo in hand.

Still awaiting further insight.

BTW, who's the English prof? I personally develop software. Not the most fun job in the world, but it pays for Busas... and Sharks. :)

Shark makes the best helmet I have ever found, in terms of comfort and quality.

Maybe only because I find Shoei and Arai to be lesser in these terms, I just don't get what the "hype" is about them. QUOTE]

Brother Pohl:

Here are some thoughts which might give you insight into the 'hype'

...Shoei and Arai are known, typically, as industry leaders because they put the money they make into real research and development. Not saying that the other companies don't to some extent or another do the same thing, but not nearly to the degree of the generally perceived tops-of-the-line.

Many companies will simply replicate the technology which the big companies spent countless hundreds of thousands of dollars (or yen) gathering and copy it, and in their quest for market share, will use lower grade materials, offer lesser warranties, build them en masse in likely sweatshops through Southeast Asia, and/or whatever other measures can be taken to attain and retain coveted 'real estate' on the shelves of retailers across the globe.

That's what I think. Of course, like people, the companies here fall somewhere on the gradient of black to white. Some are more reputable, others, well, less.

Shark has recently come across 'the pond' and is making quite a name for itself in the US. I was recently able to effect a special purchase of one of those (the RSR2, their #1 model) for a friend of mine. He has sworn by it.

Just some thoughts...

:beerchug:

Last edited:

As I mentioned, they're just some thoughts. I'm not trying to prove anything or influence anyone.

...just some thoughts.

As with anything, people should do their own research and make up their own minds; at least I hope they do.

Cool.

You know how when you look at a ZX-14, it just doesn't seem to have the same quality to it that the Busa has? At least, that is my take. Well, that is the same sorta feeling I get when I look at the Shoei. Prolly a great helmet, just doesn't look like it to me, when comparing it to my Shark... like the way the lid closes, for example... or the softness/thickness/look of the fabric on the inside. Entire helmet just feels more "plastic-ee", if that can be a word. I also dig the visor retention mechanism on the Shark - very nifty and convenient. Shark is also supposed to be the only lid manufacturer that uses visors that don't snap when bent backwards, I think I recall.

Also, the Shark is much more comfy to me... but I have a really round, monkey head, so I am told. :colgate:

I know I am generalizing - I know each brand has different models.

Perhaps, when they have been in America longer, they will have a larger following.

I do believe, as a whole Europeans ride a considerable amount more than us "Americans." I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a good helmet or two. :thumbsup:

Just my opinion. Hey, if you haven't heard of Shark, "give it a go" as they say.

As I mentioned, they're just some thoughts. I'm not trying to prove anything or influence anyone.

...just some thoughts.

As with anything, people should do their own research and make up their own minds; at least I hope they do.

Last edited:

For example:

"...Shoei and Arai are known, typically, as industry leaders because they put the money they make into real research and development. Not saying that the other companies don't to some extent or another do the same thing, but not nearly to the degree of the generally perceived tops-of-the-line."

A lot of words, but not many helpful details. Reading more of your thoughts don't help either.

It sounds as if you are comparing Shoei and Arai to every other helmet manufacturer. I am comparing them to Shark alone.

I do know that Shark is relatively new to the US and head-shape makes all the difference in the world, but how long does it take to try on a Shark helmet? Sorry, Shoei just looks like a more dinky helmet compared to my Shark. Granted, it is one of their top-of-the line helmets and perhaps I have not seen the better Shoei's.

In the end you give Shark props. Sounds like you were just out for kill, but didn't have the ammo in hand.

BTW, who's the English prof? I personally develop software. Not the most fun job in the world, but it pays for Busas... and Sharks. :)

Well i have "GAVE THE SHARK A GO" just yesterday! I was down at a local MC shop, and tried on there "TOP OF LINE MODEL" and IMO....ITS NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE as ARAI or SHOEI. I popped on a RX7(what i currently own,so maybe biased opinion,but looking for a new lid that matches)and OMG, what a difference, fit, comfort, style, finish, and most impressive graphics out there hands down! MY :2cents: :super:

For example:

Well i have "GAVE THE SHARK A GO" just yesterday! I was down at a local MC shop, and tried on there "TOP OF LINE MODEL" and IMO....ITS NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE as ARAI or SHOEI. I popped on a RX7(what i currently own,so maybe biased opinion,but looking for a new lid that matches)and OMG, what a difference, fit, comfort, style, finish, and most impressive graphics out there hands down! MY :2cents: :super:

Can you explain why "ITS NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE as ARAI or SHOE," because I feel just the opposite, for the reasons I gave.

I can understand the comfort factor. For me, the Shoei's are extremely uncomfortable, while the Shark's are quite comfortable... and I know not everyone's head is shaped like mine, so... understood. I think if a helmet is comfortable and one is not, well, the one that is not just loses, even though it may be an Arai and it looks completely bad azz.

We expect safety. We see DOT4 (or Snell, though I have some info here against Snell rating) and we assume it will protect us, right? I do know the Shark has a "Crumple Zone" at the top that craters in the event of impact that prevents the skull from absorbing the majority of the force. Does Shoei or Arai have this feature? It may just be hype, but I bought into it, literally.

Styling (and graphics) is of course subjective... maybe there is a general consensus, though. That's cool. I dig some of the Shark's design's no doubt however, I have seen some Shoei's that I really wished fit my head, ya know?

But, fit and finish? IMO, quality is not so much a subjective thing. Are you sure you were looking at Shark's "top-of-the-line" RSR2 model? The RSX, which is what I have is pretty much as good. Now, I have seen some more entry-level models from Shark that I would agree are entry-level... and are priced accordingly. Again, maybe I have not seen Shoe's best.

Aww well, I am glad there is a helmet for everyone.

Shoei for me because it is well made, fits my head and the face shield can be changed easily in seconds.:thumbsup:

I even wear my arai when having safe sex, makes it much more quiet at high speeds, although my wife wont let me wear the boots she says the helmet helps me look better and it protects me when she kicks me out of bed.( I heard 17mph to the head can kill) better safe than sorry:whistle:

i never liked hjc but i was broke and needed a lid cheap and quick. i finally bought a quantum f arai back in 01' and it is lighter, much more comfortable, and the wind noise is reasonably tolerable compared to the hjc.

Shoei just seems to fit better. Interestingly enough, when I was 30 years younger and 50 lbs lighter, Arai had a better fit!

Mine was left out retired my Shoei in favor of the GMAX... it's ok I know we the new lid on the block and us high airflow designed lids are hated for the noise lvl. Should keep the squishy stuff inside, hopefully I never find have to find out.

I like my GMAX too, LOUD but alot of airflow my head has stayed reasonable cool all summer. Also, don't hang your head out at high speed because those scoops catch a humongous amount of air. Thinking about adding a little more padding in the ear area and see if that helps any. Not alot of lids locally to try out and none of them fit me as well as this one did. Maybe sometime I'll be able to go to a show and compare then can make a better pic. On top of it, I can buy 5 of these for one of those top brands.

GMAX.jpg

Back