Who Makes the Preferred Helmet?

Preferred Helmet Manufacturer

• Total voters
I've had 2 Shoeis now, an RF900 (bounced it off the side of a van at 45mph, am here to tell the tale) and my current RF1000. But tried a buddies Arai Vector on for fit and it was like heaven on my head. I've been wishing on an RX-7 Corsair for a long time but had no idea of fit, since it's an intermediate oval shape like the Vector, it's my next helmet.
Shoei makes a great helmet and one saved my life, but the fit of that Arai was unbelievable.:inlove2:

I like my Shoei...especially since Mr Bogus showed me how to fasten it :)
:rofl: funny stuff huh?

but I got it from a young user here on another thread that was something like... 'How you fasten your helmet"

Of course he prefaces it with "yea this sounds stupid but here is how I do it" and he showed how the Shoei clip worked.... Stupid me just passed it on to stupid you... now you get to pass it on to another dummy... :rofl:

Oh and I voted Shoei and Arai... in order of how they fit me... Rule 1 Helmet MUST fit correctly regardless of name brand..

Oh and I voted Shoei and Arai... in order of how they fit me... Rule 1 Helmet MUST fit correctly regardless of name brand..

True story! An ill-fitting helmet will ruin a ride and won't do what it's theoretically designed to do.

I have a Shoi RF-1000, an Arai Quantum, and a Scorpion 400. I have owned Shoei's in the past (RF-200 and RF-900) and got an Arai 3 Years ago. I went back to a Shoei this year and love it compared to the Arai and Scorpion. The Shoei has a better defog mechanism and vents alot better and also is more Quieter than the other two. The Scorpion has a very good anti-fog sheild and vents very well, but is very noisy. The Arai is quiter than the Scorpion and the defog doesn't work very well at all, and I do not like the way the shield cracks open, no notches. My opinion the Shoei helmet is superior over the other two by far in all catagories, except the Scorpion's anti-fog sheild does work great and is a good economical priced helmet for a passenger or a tight budget, just my 2 cents.

Mine was left out retired my Shoei in favor of the GMAX... it's ok I know we the new lid on the block and us high airflow designed lids are hated for the noise lvl. Should keep the squishy stuff inside, hopefully I never find have to find out.

I have three ARAI helmets. I would consider SHOEI I'm pretty sure they're about the same caliber when it comes to quality, but when it comes down to it ARAI will always be on top.

Shark makes the best helmet I have ever found, in terms of comfort and quality.

Maybe only because I find Shoei and Arai to be lesser in these terms, I just don't get what the "hype" is about them. The most I can gather is perhaps it is name-brand recognition to some degree. I know they are good helmets, granted...

Shark is of course a European helmet and not as widely popular.

Check out their RSX or RSR2 line, if you get a chance.

Second Shoei I've owned. They just fit my head shape the best. I'll never buy anything else.

i've had a fulmer modular for the last 2 years......im waiting for the Akuma Apache to come out. unless I find something else in the mean time :thumbsup:

I've tried on abunch of different helmets, for looks and feel, and whether it clogged up or not, and how well it fit my head... Icon gets my vote.

Interesting poll. Thinking back I have had more shoei helments than any other brand, and my newest helmet is an RF1000, which I really like. The fit is really good and the venting isn't to bad. I also have an Arei Quantum, a Suomy and a KBC. I actually use all of the helments I have. If I had to put them in order it would probably be Shoei, Suomy, Arai, and GBC. I guess we all have our preferances.....

Maybe only because I find Shoei and Arai to be lesser in these terms, I just don't get what the "hype" is about them. QUOTE]

Brother Pohl:

Here are some thoughts which might give you insight into the 'hype'

...Shoei and Arai are known, typically, as industry leaders because they put the money they make into real research and development. Not saying that the other companies don't to some extent or another do the same thing, but not nearly to the degree of the generally perceived tops-of-the-line.

Many companies will simply replicate the technology which the big companies spent countless hundreds of thousands of dollars (or yen) gathering and copy it, and in their quest for market share, will use lower grade materials, offer lesser warranties, build them en masse in likely sweatshops through Southeast Asia, and/or whatever other measures can be taken to attain and retain coveted 'real estate' on the shelves of retailers across the globe.

That's what I think. Of course, like people, the companies here fall somewhere on the gradient of black to white. Some are more reputable, others, well, less.

Shark has recently come across 'the pond' and is making quite a name for itself in the US. I was recently able to effect a special purchase of one of those (the RSR2, their #1 model) for a friend of mine. He has sworn by it.

Just some thoughts...

:beerchug:

Maybe only because I find Shoei and Arai to be lesser in these terms, I just don't get what the "hype" is about them. QUOTE]

Brother Pohl:

Here are some thoughts which might give you insight into the 'hype'

...Shoei and Arai are known, typically, as industry leaders because they put the money they make into real research and development. Not saying that the other companies don't to some extent or another do the same thing, but not nearly to the degree of the generally perceived tops-of-the-line.

Many companies will simply replicate the technology which the big companies spent countless hundreds of thousands of dollars (or yen) gathering and copy it, and in their quest for market share, will use lower grade materials, offer lesser warranties, build them en masse in likely sweatshops through Southeast Asia, and/or whatever other measures can be taken to attain and retain coveted 'real estate' on the shelves of retailers across the globe.

That's what I think. Of course, like people, the companies here fall somewhere on the gradient of black to white. Some are more reputable, others, well, less.

Shark has recently come across 'the pond' and is making quite a name for itself in the US. I was recently able to effect a special purchase of one of those (the RSR2, their #1 model) for a friend of mine. He has sworn by it.

Just some thoughts...

:beerchug:

I SWEAR THIS GUYS AN ENGLISH PROFESSOR :laugh:

Being a new Busa owner who hates helmets! (go ahead fire away) I find this poll very informative. I learned: 1. spend alot of money. 2. make sure it fits right. 3. Hope to god you never have to see if you made the right choice!
Oh I forgot, my choice? Havent a clue yet, but coincidently i am off to try on as many different kinds I can find.
Thank you all for the opinions.

Back