Who also rides a Goldwing?

Looking thru the threads on the K1600 forum I finally found a discussion about the ‘weave’ and a ‘floating’ feeling in the front end. Most it seems we’re relying on the temp controlled TPMS system and running upwards of 41-2-3 psi in the tires. They said the manual recommends 42 as a cold setting psi. Most also said that they/we should just get used to it, that it’s not dangerous. :confused: I realize it’s got a very trick suspension front and rear and it weighs in around the mid 700 pound range but…I also see that the earlier models had 160 ponies but the later models got their power reduced. Funny, around the same time I read about the handling issue I answered an ad for a low mileage 2014 GT fairly close by but so far no response.
Some weave, some don't. A guy claimed he tracked the problem to the wishbone front suspension's bushing. Another claimed it was a design compromise (forgot the specifics). BMW refused to acknowledge it. The forum may have flushed much of it because it was getting to be pretty heated.

It was subtle. But take your hands or eyes off the front end, and you could get a surprise. I rode the bike to Skyline Drive and the VA Dragon, and I never felt comfortable because the bike demanded so much attention. I think the 2012 model was the best one. It had a normal throttle, but many complained it was too aggressive, and BMW tamed it to the point of making the bike a handful in critical throttle control maneuvers.

Some weave, some don't. A guy claimed he tracked the problem to the wishbone front suspension's bushing. Another claimed it was a design compromise (forgot the specifics). BMW refused to acknowledge it. The forum may have flushed much of it because it was getting to be pretty heated. It was subtle. But take your hands or eyes off the front end, and you could get a surprise. I rode the bike to Skyline Drive and the VA Dragon, and I never felt comfortable because the bike demanded so much attention. I think the 2012 model was the best one. It had a normal throttle, but many complained it was too aggressive, and BMW tamed it to the point of making the bike a handful in critical throttle control maneuvers.

Yeah they must have flushed it because before a new owner of the Grand America model recently brought it up I hadn’t seen anything about it. I commented that running 42+ psi cold might have something to do with it despite its 750 pound weight I was quickly shut down. From then on the TPMS system issues were discussed and the consensus was pretty much, just get used to it, it’s not that bad and it’s not dangerous. Sure makes me wonder though even for a -10K used one.

Geebus! I just painfully watched a couple half HOUR videos on how to replace the air filters on a Goldwing and a K1600. The process is ridiculous requiring the removal of around a couple DOZEN screws and clips, disconnecting several connectors and body panels, pretty much everything you can see from the seat to the windshield. This process alone would/should discourage potential buyers but maybe most have a dealer do the work although @ $190 per hour shop labor (here) replacing the air filter, just the air filter, would cost about $190! And changing the oil on the BMW is also quite the job with a sump plug (and) an oil pan bolt completely out of sight. The F6B does NOT have reverse or CC but does have heated grips and self cancelling blinkers :laugh:

All I need now is a real deal on a 2013 F6B (Flat 6 Bagger) with under 14,000 miles, still 18,000 miles away from it’s 32,000 mile valve check interval, and new tires for under $8,000 which is well below KBB high book of around $12,400. Oh wait….

Geebus! I just painfully watched a couple half HOUR videos on how to replace the air filters on a Goldwing and a K1600. The process is ridiculous requiring the removal of around a couple DOZEN screws and clips, disconnecting several connectors and body panels, pretty much everything you can see from the seat to the windshield. This process alone would/should discourage potential buyers but maybe most have a dealer do the work although @ $190 per hour shop labor (here) replacing the air filter, just the air filter, would cost about $190! And changing the oil on the BMW is also quite the job with a sump plug (and) an oil pan bolt completely out of sight. The F6B does NOT have reverse or CC but does have heated grips and self cancelling blinkers :laugh:

All I need now is a real deal on a 2013 F6B (Flat 6 Bagger) with under 14,000 miles, still 18,000 miles away from it’s 32,000 mile valve check interval, and new tires for under $8,000 which is well below KBB high book of around $12,400. Oh wait….

Well, I am just an admirer of the F6B, with no actual experience with it. I did ride a GW but only briefly. Did you check the service intervals? You might not need to change the filters that much, which would explain burring them in the frame!

Don't know if you have to be a member to read these but here are some links @WuzzaCBXRider

Weave: The wobble is real!
Transmission: Search results for query: transmission recall

Yeah that’s the forum I’ve been visiting. So, the F6B is out. It seems like a very good deal at that price but I don’t fit very well on it. A custom seat for these monsters is over a grand. The PO had some nice kuryakin hiway pegs on it but the floorboards just didn’t cut it. I heard a cold start up and it sounded fine. I could’ve ridden it but it just didn’t fit. It is heavy and I could feel the weight was down low, not top heavy at all. It’s also quite a chore to put it onto the center stand. Mileage was under 14K.

IMG_4018.png

And it seems it’s my week for red bikes as the owner of this BMW got back to me. It’s about three hours away in the east SF bay area. Has under 16,000 miles and he wants $8,500. It’s a 2014. Looks nice in the pics. Says it needs servicing and that’s why the price is low.

Back