Which GoPro?

They are nice, you can see mine mounted on the front in this pic.
Wide.

Dragona 2.gif

Wide will Fish-Eye the video. It's not as noticeable with closer shots, but it's painfully obvious if you mount it so you don't have a reference point on the bike to work with. Also, if you mount it looking down the side of the bike, the side of the bike is what you will see in 50% of the video. The camera would need to be pointing away from the direction of travel to get more scene and less bike.

Neither the Hero or the Hero Wide are HD or record wide-screen. Both record NTSC 4:3 through different lenses. The Hero Wide looks better for front facing shots where you want the dash, rider, ground, and everything to look distant. The standard Hero will be the better camera for along side, and more normal depth and distance shots.

I have played with both. These are my findings.

Thanks for input, everyone. I was just wondering if there was any new info since this thread was started. I didn't see any reason to start another thread since we have about 100 of them on the GoPro.

Is the Hero wide for motorsports still the best one to go with for applications where you want to show the bike/council/rider while filming?

Any new info on GoPro? I'm about ready to order.

I just got one of the new GoProHDs. $100 more than the original GoPro, comes with a rechargable Lithium battery pack (works in cold weather without paying $10 for 4 Lithium AAAs), uses up to a 32GB card (got an 8GB for mine so far, 2+ hour record time using the HD settings), 720P (30FPS or 60FPS), 960P, or 1080P Hi Def recording.
Has all the mount options and toughness of the original.
Weather still sucks here so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but the videos I'm seeing on the dirt bike forum that people are posting are unreal. Full screen, crystal clear, totally different than the GoPro Wide vids.
Worth looking into.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I just got one of the new GoProHDs. $100 more than the original GoPro, comes with a rechargable Lithium battery pack (works in cold weather without paying $10 for 4 Lithium AAAs), uses up to a 32GB card (got an 8GB for mine so far, 2+ hour record time using the HD settings), 720P (30FPS or 60FPS), 960P, or 1080P Hi Def recording.
Has all the mount options and toughness of the original.
Weather still sucks here so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but the videos I'm seeing on the dirt bike forum that people are posting are unreal. Full screen, crystal clear, totally different than the GoPro Wide vids.
Worth looking into.:thumbsup:

What's the best current price on those?

Yeah, you'll have to look around. I got mine at the shop by my house, so I don't know what they're going for online.

Tim "Pashnit" has a deal going on right now, you should PM him man. :beerchug:

Thank you mike. i saw Pashnit's name mentioned in other threads/posts concerninf the GoPro. I'll PM him.

For info on this thread, is the new GoPro HD a wide angle, standard view, or is it available in either wide or standard?

Last edited:
The HDs are a wide angle. But can vary by the recording mode used.
Standard Def WVGA, and 720P (30 & 60FPS) are listed as 170 degree wide angle.
960P is also 170 degree, but says it has the most verticle viewing area of all the resolutions. Wide, but also tall.
1080P is 127 degree field of view. Same as the standard GoPro.
Read all this from my instruction sheet.

One thing with the GoProHDs I've been reading (and it plainly states it in the instructions), you HAVE to use a HDHC Class 4 card for them to work. People are using the normal cheaper SD or SDHC cards that aren't class 4 rated and are having "freeze up" problems.
I have a PNY 8GB class 4 for mine, but weather is STILL in suck mode, so I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Soon as I can get out and ride (may be "dirt bike in the woods" videos at first), I'll post my thoughts, results, and videos with the HD.

Last edited:
Couple quick answers - Yes, we have the GoPro HD in stock. At least as of today. ;)

Yes, we are running a special on them for our Pashnit members & past buyers. An additional bonus discount is running now for PashnitMoto 2nd Time Buyers.

In reference to the earlier part of this thread from last fall - we've discontinued the GoPro Hero, and also the GoPro 5, which was the non-wide angle camera from 2008. Just not enough demand for those items, and this technology keeps getting better. Also no longer selling the Helmet model or the Surf model - it was much easier to simply offer those items as accessories. If you surf, get the surf attachment & done. Bicycle- get the helmet strap and all good there.

:easy: Main specs on the GoPro HD can be found here...

:easy: GoPro Mounting Options & Photographic Tutorial :thumbsup:

The difference in the battery type, storage capacity and output quality makes the HD model the clear choice. Tim, I just posted some original HD output a moment ago in another thread, you might wanna take a look.

Mythos said:
give a good view of rider while cam is mounted to tail.

Have played with this alot. Busa is not easy due to its plastic. The looking over the riders' shoulder style of shot is sort of like being a fly on the wall. What I ended up doing was using the mounting bolts for the grab rails to add a RAM mount to both sides. The left side in the end worked out better as you can see down the road in the shot.

The end result looked like this:
displayimage.php

Took the mount, and started bending to match the curvature of the busa tail.
displayimage.php

Mounted
displayimage.php

Adding the RAM arm.Trick is you don't want the mount to rotate on the bolt.
displayimage.php

All set to record.
displayimage.php

In the end, this arm didn't quite work out as well as I'd hoped. The distance between the bike and the camera wasn't quite enough to show the proper proportions in the shot. 1/3rd rider, 1/3rd road & 1/3rd scenery is the textbook formula for a great shot.

This shot, there's a little to much rider in the frame.

Video freeze frame
displayimage.php

So in the end, used a longer RAM arm and that was the shot I was going for.

If you compare the two forward-facing shots, this one feels much better, but it's the length of the arm.

displayimage.php

Mythos, you had also asked about mounting the GoPro on the tank and being able to see the gauges. Likely easiest to do this setup with the included suction cup mount.

Just keep in mind if should shoot the footage and your gauges are 2/3 of the shot, makes for a sleeper video. Put the gauges at the lower 1/3 of your frame and have some fun. :thumbsup:

gopro_busa_tank1.jpg

gopro_busa_tank2.jpg

gopro_busa_tank1.jpg

gopro_busa_tank2.jpg

Same thing, but on a Buell.

Dsc04577_buell_gopro.jpg

This one is about a 50/50 ratio of gauges vs. scenery. Might have to play with the height a bit to get the right feel to your photos or video.

tank_mounted_168.jpg

Dsc04577_buell_gopro.jpg

tank_mounted_168.jpg

That's how I mount mine. Suction cup as high up as it will go. Just be carefull adding too many links to raise it, or it can get shakey.

Back