When will motorcycle technology catch up?

My apologies, it certainly sounded like we were comparing the technology and power of the Civic to our Hayabusas.....and motorcycles in general....

Your original post mentioned:

"heaps more torque than a Busa" and "The gas consumption is not far off a Gen3 which weighs less than a 1/4 in curb weight"..

You can see where I got confused.
LOL, lets try once more...

We are comparing engines to engines, take them out of the car, take them out of the bike, put each side by side on a dyno and do specs off the crank.

LOL, lets try once more...

We are comparing engines to engines, take them out of the car, take them out of the bike, put each side by side on a dyno and do specs off the crank.

....and if we are comparing apples to apples, it has to be a boosted bike engine as the Civic you speak of is boosted...and only one manufacturer makes a boosted engine.

Pretty hard to compare....a non boosted 999cc engine puts out over 200 hp but only around 90ft lbs of torque.

A Supercharged H2 puts out 230rwhp but only 120 ft lbs of torque

I hear you, the torque figures of the car engine are higher-could be the intake plenum that makes the difference...??? High torque figures like that would be hard to manage in a motorcycle...the lighter weight makes up for the lower torque.

Now if Suzuki or Kawasaki factory boosted the Hayabusa and ZX14R, I wonder how the numbers would compare...

My 2004 Neon SRT-4 has a stock 2.4L turbo making 230hp.... mid-5s 0-60, high 13's 1/4 mile... seems like Honda is 20 years behind Dodge. ;)

My 2004 Neon SRT-4 has a stock 2.4L turbo making 230hp.... mid-5s 0-60, high 13's 1/4 mile... seems like Honda is 20 years behind Dodge. ;)
1.5 to 2.4 = 60% increase in capacity.

180 to 230 = 28% increase in power.

The Honda Engineers win when it comes to volumetric efficiency.

I don't ride a motorcycle for drivers aids and electronics, the only electronic aid that would be useful and I would enjoy is cruise control. If I want a relaxing ride I'll drive my brand new civic, I want my bike to scare me, I want it to loose traction when I get into it I want the rush hahahaha I'm sure you could ram over 300hp in a factory bike with driver aids interupting all that power but is it really a 300hp bike then?

My son had one of those...it dissolved before our eyes...driving them in winter salt sure isn't a good thing...he ended up scraping it.

Wasn't a bad little car though...he went from bad to worse and got an SVT Contour of all things...that thing is long gone now...

My son had one of those...it dissolved before our eyes...driving them in winter salt sure isn't a good thing...he ended up scraping it.

Wasn't a bad little car though...he went from bad to worse and got an SVT Contour of all things...that thing is long gone now...
They are incredibly rust-prone for sure, I've seen some online that are totally Swiss-cheesed. Luckily being a Vancouver Island car its entire life, mine doesn't have a spot of rust on it.

Let’s not forget how high the rpm differences are at these HP and torque levels comparing any motorcycle engine to a car engine. My car lopes along around 2,100 @ 75-80 and my Busa is at 5,000 @ 95 in 6th. Car engines don’t rev into five digits.

Let’s not forget how high the rpm differences are at these HP and torque levels comparing any motorcycle engine to a car engine. My car lopes along around 2,100 @ 75-80 and my Busa is at 5,000 @ 95 in 6th. Car engines don’t rev into five digits.
Good observation and the point of this discussion. A motorcycle engine performs at low duty most of the time. It is impossible to use all the available power at high RPM during a large portion of a street ride. A car engine works much harder most of the time if the HP is comparable with that of a high performance bike. It follows that a car engine has to be much more reliable and always operates at lower RPM.

So in comparison if a turbo 1500 puts out 180 HP in car and it is reliable, a much smaller motor turbo charged and light weight putting out the same 180HP at almost double the RPM could be reliably used in a bike, as the times that motor works at full load are minimal.

Back