When will motorcycle technology catch up?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Wife just purchased a Honda Civic, 1.5l turbo.

It does 0-62 mph in 6.7 seconds, what a V8 did 10 years ago. Puts out 180hp and heaps more torque than a Busa. The gas consumption is not far off a Gen3 which weighs less than a 1/4 in curb weight.

It comes with a 150,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Simply looking at the duty in city driving the motor rarely goes over 2.000rpm and the transmission offers full 180hp from a standing start at full gas.

Hard to understand why motorcycle engine tech lags behind. Imagine the possibilities out of a 750cc turbo which has light duty in a bike weighing less than 600lbs.

Wife just purchased a Honda Civic, 1.5l turbo.

It does 0-62 mph in 6.7 seconds, what a V8 did 10 years ago. Puts out 180hp and heaps more torque than a Busa. The gas consumption is not far off a Gen3 which weighs less than a 1/4 in curb weight.

It comes with a 150,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Simply looking at the duty in city driving the motor rarely goes over 2.000rpm and the transmission offers full 180hp from a standing start at full gas.

Hard to understand why motorcycle engine tech lags behind. Imagine the possibilities out of a 750cc turbo which has light duty in a bike weighing less than 600lbs.
You are comparing.........a Honda Civic to a Hayabusa????

Yikes....

You know all about the Hayabusa so I won't insult you as to how ludacris this comparison is.

You are comparing.........a Honda Civic to a Hayabusa????

Yikes....

You know all about the Hayabusa so I won't insult you as to how ludacris this comparison is.
I think he was comparing the technology it takes to achieve those things in a CIVIC vs what we see in a bike. Bikes are easily 20 years behind cars. I think the answer to @jellyrug question is that amazing performance is so easy on a bike and you don't have to meet the same level of emissions (until now maybe), you don't need super compact engines (even an 1800 BMW is pretty small) and most people see them as hobbies. On top of that, the number of CIVICs sold compared to a bike like a Busa makes it hard to recover research dollars - especially for technology nobody wants.

I think he was comparing the technology it takes to achieve those things in a CIVIC vs what we see in a bike. Bikes are easily 20 years behind cars. I think the answer to @jellyrug question is that amazing performance is so easy on a bike and you don't have to meet the same level of emissions (until now maybe), you don't need super compact engines (even an 1800 BMW is pretty small) and most people see them as hobbies. On top of that, the number of CIVICs sold compared to a bike like a Busa makes it hard to recover research dollars - especially for technology nobody wants.
I don't think they are 20 yrs behind...

Modern motorcycles are equipped with a myriad of rider aids which is why the gen 3 Hayabusa will be so good and much better at putting down power compared to the other generations.

Bikes such as the current liter bikes are putting down over 200rwhp and weigh around 450lbs wet with full electronic suites, high tech suspension and get pretty good mileage to boot....

Take the Kawasaki H2 and it's technology, it's pretty much at the top of the heap when it comes to that department.

But just like you said, where is the market and how do they recover the R&D it takes to develop these bikes?

I looked up a 2021 Honda Civic and their site says it is 174 bhp....?

You should take a ride in my truck! These car's computers can predict failures in parts like lights. It not only has ABS but it can use the brakes to straighten a slide (obviously only possible with 4 wheels). It is a closed-loop system engine so the computer monitors the emissions, turbo temps, etc. to constantly adjust the fueling/timing. It has a 10-speed transmission and can be shifted auto or manual. Adaptive cruise control, side obstruction warning, 360-degree cameras, totally adjustable for off-road or street, automatic high beams, automatic wipers, the steering alerts you of lane departures, and even massaging seats that really do actually keep you alert on long trips. The crazy thing is it does all of this seamlessly so it feels completely natural. Most modern trucks are similar.

Very few bikes even have true closed-loop fueling, which is amazing. Direct injection could bring back the 2-stroke and we would have 500cc bikes making 180 hp, but not yet. Lots of tech that could make bikes radically better have been in cars forever. In all its glory, the H2 is just a supercharger - those have been in cars for decades.

You should take a ride in my truck! These car's computers can predict failures in parts like lights. It not only has ABS but it can use the brakes to straighten a slide (obviously only possible with 4 wheels). It is a closed-loop system engine so the computer monitors the emissions, turbo temps, etc. to constantly adjust the fueling/timing. It has a 10-speed transmission and can be shifted auto or manual. Adaptive cruise control, side obstruction warning, 360-degree cameras, totally adjustable for off-road or street, automatic high beams, automatic wipers, the steering alerts you of lane departures, and even massaging seats that really do actually keep you alert on long trips. The crazy thing is it does all of this seamlessly so it feels completely natural. Most modern trucks are similar.

Very few bikes even have true closed-loop fueling, which is amazing. Direct injection could bring back the 2-stroke and we would have 500cc bikes making 180 hp, but not yet. Lots of tech that could make bikes radically better have been in cars forever. In all its glory, the H2 is just a supercharger - those have been in cars for decades.
The H2 also has a full electronic suite....automatic wipers would be wasted on it....:lol:

The Gold Wing has the full electronic suite, adaptive cruise, auto headlight, etc, etc....

But like you already alluded to, where is the market for such things on motorcycles where most of their R&D goes into MotoGP tech.

I personally believe the myriad of tech on modern vehicles are creating some of the worst drivers to ever sit behind a wheel. I know the end goal is to not have drivers at all but I still don't trust that tech at all. The neighbor couldn't even back up his truck and trailer without his cameras...they were covered in slush and he had to get out and wipe them all down.

Hackers are already getting into vehicle software and are able to drive them right out of a person's driveway....Just imagine when all these self driving cars are going down the highway at speed and some "E terrorist" pushes a button shutting down the system.....

We have technology now in a man pack which will jam all transceiver signals in a certain radius.

The H2 also has a full electronic suite....automatic wipers would be wasted on it....:lol:

The Gold Wing has the full electronic suite, adaptive cruise, auto headlight, etc, etc....

But like you already alluded to, where is the market for such things on motorcycles where most of their R&D goes into MotoGP tech.

I personally believe the myriad of tech on modern vehicles are creating some of the worst drivers to ever sit behind a wheel. I know the end goal is to not have drivers at all but I still don't trust that tech at all. The neighbor couldn't even back up his truck and trailer without his cameras...they were covered in slush and he had to get out and wipe them all down.

Hackers are already getting into vehicle software and are able to drive them right out of a person's driveway....Just imagine when all these self driving cars are going down the highway at speed and some "E terrorist" pushes a button shutting down the system.....

We have technology now in a man pack which will jam all transceiver signals in a certain radius.
All true. I heard they can hack your truck and change the lock pin so you can't get in but they can, haha. I can start my truck from my phone in the house. The worse thing is the dealer/manufacturer can talk to my truck remotely whenever they want. Wouldn't want them to know I was doing 200 mph on my motorcycle in a state with 70 mph top speed limits.

Don't know about those drivers being worse though. They were pretty dang bad before haha!

I don't think they are 20 yrs behind...

Modern motorcycles are equipped with a myriad of rider aids which is why the gen 3 Hayabusa will be so good and much better at putting down power compared to the other generations.

Bikes such as the current liter bikes are putting down over 200rwhp and weigh around 450lbs wet with full electronic suites, high tech suspension and get pretty good mileage to boot....

Take the Kawasaki H2 and it's technology, it's pretty much at the top of the heap when it comes to that department.

But just like you said, where is the market and how do they recover the R&D it takes to develop these bikes?

I looked up a 2021 Honda Civic and their site says it is 174 bhp....?
The 174 is Canadian. Your beers have more alcohol than ours, otherwise everything is smaller. Just jokin.

Wife’s is an upgrade model, 180 Hp.

The point I am trying to get across is that the duty on a motorcycle engine is very light compared to a car. A Hayabusa motor does not have to lug around 3,000 lbs. New cars have motors almost the same size in capacity as a motorcycles, delivering the same power below 6,000RPM and these engines are reliable working five times harder.

I have not looked at Suzuki cars, they pulled out of the US, but will be surprised if the new models are behind in technology.

The 174 is Canadian. Your beers have more alcohol than ours, otherwise everything is smaller. Just jokin.

The point I am trying to get across is that the duty on a motorcycle engine is very light compared to a car. A Hayabusa motor does not have to lug around 3,000 lbs. New cars have motors almost the same size in capacity as a motorcycles, delivering the same power below 6,000RPM and these engines are reliable working five times harder.

I have not looked at Suzuki cars, they pulled out of the US, but will be surprised if the new models are behind in technology.
Mine does Haha.
Photo1.jpg

I just want to k ow who you bought it from to get that warranty? Honda states 5/60 on powertrain

I'd give up all the new technology to get the feature the 1928 Cadillac had where you press a button and the chassis has a self lubrication system pumps grease to all the fittings.

For that matter, phuck Bluetooth Wi-Fi apple/android auto, and just put zerk fittings back on the suspension... LOL

chers
ken

I just want to k ow who you bought it from to get that warranty? Honda states 5/60 on powertrain
LOL, it's a long story. I purchased her a really nice convertible Merc, serviced it and repaired a few things, it was as good as new. She told me every week she almost hit a deer on a certain road, so then it happened and she totalled the Merc. When I asked her if she really was surprised about that she took offence, so I told her I am not helping again, she must go do her own thing.

So she did and because she thought I will no longer work on her cars she purchased the Civic Hatchback Sport. Linky below. And, she purchased an extended warranty, 8 years 150k miles.

I have ridden passenger only so far once, must say they have come a long way with this Honda.

LOL, it's a long story. I purchased her a really nice convertible Merc, serviced it and repaired a few things, it was as good as new. She told me every week she almost hit a deer on a certain road, so then it happened and she totalled the Merc. When I asked her if she really was surprised about that she took offence, so I told her I am not helping again, she must go do her own thing.

So she did and because she thought I will no longer work on her cars she purchased the Civic Hatchback Sport. Linky below. And, she purchased an extended warranty, 8 years 150k miles.

I have ridden passenger only so far once, must say they have come a long way with this Honda.
Those Civics have come a long way...I saw a Type R not long ago and it is a serious car...

My neighbor beside me has a '16 Civic with a whole pile of kms on it, it runs like a champ but the body is breaking out something terrible...

Right, I was looking at an EX...(174 hp) she must have the sport...

If we look at this in perspective...most motorcycles will destroy an average car and to get a car in the same league as our Hayabusas one would have to pay $90,000 to well over $100,000 to get anything which compares in performance...

I don't know about your Hayabusa but mine will stomp the ever loving crap out of a Civic at any RPM-well maybe if it was idling in the driveway....:lol:

Take the gen 3, it has the electronic suite to make it as technical as most cars and it is one of the last bikes to get a similar suite....

Right, I was looking at an EX...(174 hp) she must have the sport...

If we look at this in perspective...most motorcycles will destroy an average car and to get a car in the same league as our Hayabusas one would have to pay $90,000 to well over $100,000 to get anything which compares in performance...

I don't know about your Hayabusa but mine will stomp the ever loving crap out of a Civic at any RPM-well maybe if it was idling in the driveway....:lol:

Take the gen 3, it has the electronic suite to make it as technical as most cars and it is one of the last bikes to get a similar suite....
You are missing the point, we are not comparing cars to bikes.

I hope one day, before electrics take over the world and before I am too old, someone will use comparable technology and make a 500cc bike, which pushes 200hp with a bunch of torque low down and weighing around 350lbs.

That will make me buy a new bike, otherwise the heavy Busa is stuck with me.

You are missing the point, we are not comparing cars to bikes.

I hope one day, before electrics take over the world and before I am too old, someone will use comparable technology and make a 500cc bike, which pushes 200hp with a bunch of torque low down and weighing around 350lbs.

That will make me buy a new bike, otherwise the heavy Busa is stuck with me.
My apologies, it certainly sounded like we were comparing the technology and power of the Civic to our Hayabusas.....and motorcycles in general....

Your original post mentioned:

"heaps more torque than a Busa" and "The gas consumption is not far off a Gen3 which weighs less than a 1/4 in curb weight"..

You can see where I got confused.

Back