Hayabusa Owners Group

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When the tarmac ends

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Like cities in Australia, Reno has an outback that doesn't end. If I just go out the rear of my neighborhood, with enough gas, I could ride to Oregon and not on one paved roadway! So this morning I decided to dust off my KLR and do some exploring. Following are a few pics, I forgot how fun offroad adventure touring is!

1) that hill in the background turned out to be a major "can I make it" experience.

P1000701.JPG

2) Reno looking down

P1000702.JPG

3) looking S/W, the Sierras

P1000703.JPG

4) looking West, the cassinos with Peavine Mountain...the one between the Sierras and the city.

P1000704.JPG

I started going up this one fractured rock trail that kept getting steeper and steeper, wide open in 3rd gear, downshifted, major boulders, no traction (60/40 tires suck for this stuff) and finally it got so steep I just had to go sideways and shut it off on the side of this slippery vertical! I left my house a confident expert level rider, on the side of the mountain, a humble person with new insights into my limitations.

This shot was at the top of that trail, the view is East, looking down at I/S 80 and the Truckee river. The picture doesn't do any justice at all, the wind was blowing @ 40 kts.
(for scale, look at the size of the big rigs on 80)

P1000705.JPG

6) going directly down on the rock trail would only be possible on a quad with off road knobbies...SO....I went down the face at an angle. When I realized how steep it was, I crawled away to take this picture, barely having to lay the bike over! I know this pic looks like a KLR laying on it's side in a stupid field but believe me it's steep!

P1000706.JPG

7) 1/2 hr later, on the way back down and the road surface is much better.

P1000707.JPG

8) and finally, getting back to my neighborhood...Civilization!
For those of you that don't ride off road, you owe it to yourself to "jump in the deep end", I think slick surface skills really help your streetbike riding. For those of you that have dirtbike riding history, you know exactly what I mean.
Take care, Raydog

P1000708.JPG

man Doyle, I would love to be able to do something like that! just take off right from the house with gas and supplys and go for an adventure!
bowdown.gif
do you ever go camping out there? im sure you do, that would be fun
thumb_up.gif

Sweet pics man!! Unfortunately, I live on the tarmac. But...I plan on buying a KTM supermoto bike and go do some Motard at a nearby track, Grange Motorsports Ranch here in Apple Valley. Nicky Tommy and Roger Lee Hayden all ride that track once in a while. And Max Biaggi was seen here last year training on that track (he's got a home in SoCal during the offseason-Palos Verdes I believe).

Hey GTR, I knew a guy that bought a 650 Honda with motard wheels on it (18" ft and 17" rear I think) and bought a spare set of wheels with aggressive knobbies (21" and 17") for adventure touring...he later sold the motard wheels but I think he regretted that. My KLR is amazing on paved twisties but I can't imagine it with 17" street tires! BTW, I know Apple Valley and you have some great exploration geography in your area. Later, Raydog

right on raydog!! Apple Valley has been under this crazy development/construction phase the last few years. Some of my fave ride spots from when I was a young kid are long gone, thanx to some track homes and businesses. But the Grange motorsports ranch is a breath of fresh air. Only $20 gets you an entire day of motard madness.

There's still an area between AV and Barstow that's still plenty good for off-tarmac excursions. I can't wait to hit the dirt again!!

Thanx for the pics ray!
beerchug.gif
thumb_up.gif

Man RAYDOG, you've got the best of both worlds !! Thanks for the pic's
beerchug.gif

nice pics!
beerchug.gif

I've been looking at picking up a KLR, but I don't have much like that around here. It would be mostly trail riding. Still looks like fun!
thumb_up.gif

Top Bottom