Whats wrong in these pictures?

denraweb

Registered
Ok so I just got my bike back a few weeks ago (had to repo it). Just went over everything, cleaned the chain, lubed it, and started riding it. When I first rode it, I heard a "popping" noise in like 1st-2nd and sometimes 3rd gear coming from the rear sproket area. So I thought the chain wasn't adjusted right. Pulled it back in, checked it, it was a little out of adjustment, readjusted it, and the sound went away. Well just a few days ago, the sound is back, except it's in all gears, all speeds, all rpm ranges. So put the bike on the stand, cleaned it real quick and started checking the chain for wear. Pulled the chain from the sproket to see if it seperated; looked good. Tried to twist the chain left to right; didn't move and looked good. Then I spun the rear wheel to see if it was hitting something on the sproket or if maybe I had a hooked, bent, broken tooth. And here's what I noticed....

Is it possible for just the master link to go bad? Is that the right size? It kinda seems like its causing the problem like if it's too long or something. Also the chain only does this after the master link hits, and the following 4-5 links will do the same. After the master link is passed, the other links don't do this (see pictures of the letters/numbers). If you look in the 4th picture, the link stamped with the "RK" branding is perfectly fine, then the master link hits and starts to lift the following links off the sproket... No matter how many times I spin the wheel, it always does it at the same spot; right after the master link.

First 5 are of the issue...

Last 4 of all the markings on the chain. It's an '06,

IMAG9319.jpg

IMAG9320.jpg

IMAG9321.jpg

IMAG9322.jpg

IMAG9323.jpg

IMAG9324.jpg

IMAG9325.jpg

IMAG9326.jpg

IMAG9327.jpg

Last edited:
From your description it sounds like the master link it out of lubricant and frozen. What do the sprockets look like, including the front one? From the way the chain loosely sits on the sprocket I'd say the whole set up is worn past it's useful life and your best bet would be to replace the sprockets and chain.

cheers
ken

From your description it sounds like the master link it out of lubricant and frozen. What do the sprockets look like, including the front one? From the way the chain loosely sits on the sprocket I'd say the whole set up is worn past it's useful life and your best bet would be to replace the sprockets and chain.

cheers
ken

But does it matter that it only sits loosely after the master link and only about 5 teeth up? When its passed the 5 teeth on the rear sprocket, it all sits well. Its just that 1/2"-1" going onto the sprocket

It looks like your right the master link is the wrong one. I would mic. (micrometer) and see how it compares to the links. good luck

But does it matter that it only sits loosely after the master link and only about 5 teeth up? When its passed the 5 teeth on the rear sprocket, it all sits well. Its just that 1/2"-1" going onto the sprocket

If that's the case, try replacing the master link. They are inexpensive.

cheers
ken

Get new chain and sprocket kit. I wouldn't trust it with a new master link. chances are the damage is done to the links and the sprockets. It's less expensive that repairing the bike after a chain breaks.

The sprocket looks like it might be ok, how many miles have you put on that chain with that master link? I would definitely replace the chain, you have already stressed it too much for my comfort. Dave has a good point too, may need to replace the sprockets too. Who put that chain/masterlink on your bike? Dont take it back there.

Replace the chain. It is stretched beyond the service limit. Looks like the stock chain, mine stretched at 5,000 miles. The OEM units aren't the best for quality.

+1 chain, and sprockets. it doesnt look like the sprocket is that worn, but fresh is always better. :)

Replace the chain. It is stretched beyond the service limit. Looks like the stock chain, mine stretched at 5,000 miles. The OEM units aren't the best for quality.

+1

That's exactly what my OEM chain looked like...and made the same noises. I measured it out and it was stretched beyond the service limit. I caught it early enough and the sprockets were fine. I replaced the chain and all was well again.

All of the shots of the masterlink look like the adjoining link to the left is not aligned behind the master, indicating that the pin(s) of the master is/are stretched.

Riding it in that condition may have screwed both sprockets and chances are it's not just the master that's been stretched. You can try to save some money and measure the chain and sprockets to make sure they're within spec. If chain & sprockets are good then get the master replaced, otherwise replace all.

Well as for mileage on the chain, no idea. If it's the OEM one then 22k, but I don't recall my chain being gold when I bought it in '06. If it's aftermarket, i have no idea who put it on. I didn't have the bike in my possession from the end of '07, up until like 1-2 months ago. Haven't done anything to it besides paint it and have a good go over on it. I dont think the guy that had been paying payments on it knew much about them, or really cared for his safety at that. When I got it, the rear brake caliper bolts were loosened by hand. The front pinch bolts that hold the axle in were also loosened by hand. The chain was black, didnt realize it was gold until after I cleaned it. The bike was sitting for idk how long 'cuz when I got it, it was dusty.

Anyways back to the link. I don't have money to change the chain and sprockets right now so I was hoping to just change the master, clean it, and lube it and be ok. The sprocket looks good, but I'm gonna go pull the wheel off and check the sprocket to be sure (i'll take some pics).

Also does anyone know the measurements off hand for the service limit? I dont know what it is and I dont have a service manual. I'll do a search right now to try to find it.

Edit: 12.57 correct?

Last edited:
the chain/sprocket is worn... the chain should fit snug on the sprocket, there shouldnt be gaps where the chain rest on the sprocket teeth

edit: is it a o-ring type chain? and did it sit outside? the links could have stiffened up.....

sprocket.jpg

Last edited:
the chain/sprocket is worn... the chain should fit snug on the sprocket, there shouldnt be gaps where the chain rest on the sprocket teeth

edit: is it a o-ring type chain? and did it sit outside? the links could have stiffened up.....

From what I understand it was in a garage for most of the last 2 years.

I think the master link stiffened up, or possibly whoever put the chain on tightened the rivet too much and basically binded the link. Half way on the sprocket, the link all sit well. Its only when the master link hits the rear sprocket that it does this, and for only about an inch. I'll take pics of the master link meeting the rear sprocket and leaving the rear sprocket so you guys can see what I'm saying. I think its just binding. Gonna replace it. $7 for a new one. cheap enough.

Blue master link is stock. The chain is shot. The chain is the expensive part so you may as well just get the sprocket's also. JT steel sprocket's are inexpensive and you will get good life from them.

Ok, went to the Suzuki dealer today and gave them all the numbers on the chain and they informed me the chain was aftermarket and wasn't even the right one for the bike as they couldn't find that number for my particular bike.

Now my next question to you guys is can the chain be removed without breaking the master link? I want to take the whole chain in as it sits so they can inspect it and tell me if the master link is in fact the culprit. But if I remove the rivet, the master link will then be freed and will not be binding anymore. Also wanna know if this is in fact the wrong chain.

I was thinking maybe they changed the chain and kept the master, but it's rivet type and wouldn't it be useless after removing it?

Can i remove the front sproket cover, loosen the rear adjusters/axle, and then just pull the chain off the sprockets?

Impossible to remove the chain without breaking the master, it loops around/through the swingarm.

IMO The master link is stretched and the culprit of you chain issues. Did you measure the rest of the chain to see if it's within service limit?

You don't have to break the chain at the master link. pick any link, grind the head off the pin. it will push right out with a chain breaker.

Back