What Octane Do You Run?

What Octane Do You Run? - Just curious what everyones using.

• 87 Regular

Votes: 207 100.0%
  • 89 Plus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 93 Supreme

• Race

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manual says MINIMUM 87 octane. There aren't too many cases in which "minimum" means "best". Besides, I feel my bike runs smoother with 93.

Another reason I stick with 93 is because I notice my bike knocks with 87 from certain gas stations (Citgo and Race Track) but not with others (Chevron and BP). So due to this, I use 93 at any gas station I gas up at.

(Tango1300 @ Feb. 23 2007,09:57) IF I had a dollar for everytime I have explained this...

Running HIGHER octane fuel does NOTHING for performance or CLEANING than just using the octane fuel for what your engine NEEDS.  Octane is the resistance to detonation due to cylinder pressure.  It also SLOWS the burning process of combustion which can lead to MORE deposits, not less if you do not have adequate flame propagation across the combustion chamber.

If all your requirements are for 87 octane, and you still use 93 or higher... you will actually see a deterioration in power and response.  This is DYNO PROVEN and can be easily seen in the difference in mileage.  

Using the minimal octane available without a sign of detonation is the best performance option you can hope for.  Its also the cheapest.

I'm sure there are a bunch of people who will be interested in refuting this post, but I have over a 1000 hours of dyno experience that will back up my claims.  

In fact... if you want the best source of detonation suppression, pump gas with methanol injection is the greatest power boost but it does nothing for a stock engine.
bowdown.gif super.gif beerchug.gif NO bs MAN! Compression rules here!

(NightCrawler @ Jun. 13 2007,22:57) 93

Manual says MINIMUM 87 octane. There aren't too many cases in which "minimum" means "best". Besides, I feel my bike runs smoother with 93.

Another reason I stick with 93 is because I notice my bike knocks with 87 from certain gas stations (Citgo and Race Track) but not with others (Chevron and BP). So due to this, I use 93 at any gas station I gas up at.
Read the quote from Tango1300 in the post above this one. He is on track here.  Try some 89 Octane and see how it works at the track compared to the 93.

(Professor @ Jun. 14 2007,08:03)
(NightCrawler @ Jun. 13 2007,22:57) 93

Read the quote from Tango1300 in the post above this one. He is on track here.  Try some 89 Octane and see how it works at the track compared to the 93.
Kool. I'll do that next week. 60-70% chance of rain everyday though Sunday. sad.gif

Here in SoCal, the pumps don't offer 93 octane...just 91 as the highest option.

Hmmm.

my manual says to use 87...thats what i use...
it also tells me to use oil in the engine, maybe if i use water it will flow better and be cleaner...i am sure those engineers over at suzuki dont have any idea what they are talkin about... all_coholic.gif

11,000 miles no problems,always 87 octane!!But, got friends that swear their stock bikes, are faster on 110 race gas!If it ain't broke don't fix it,would apply here! bowdown.gif

I run 91 in everything I drive/ride. I only get gas from shell, chevron, or 76 no mom & pop stations.

when I bought my Busa they(dealership) told me to use 91 unless Im in B.F.E. then us 87.

Also I read an artical in a car mag, they drove a car across country and in the other states that had 91 the car ran alot better then catpiss you can get in CA.

Well when i first bought my bike and i coulden't find a octane rate in the owneres manual and i had the "bikes should be run off of 91 octane gas dumb ass friends" so i ran 91 for the first few tanks then i tried 87 and i thought it was running shitty and i felt it hesistate a few times but towards the end of the tank the bike was running much better but the best difference for me was getting 27mpg on 91 octane and when i switched to 87 it went to 31.5 same driving style same everything im sold as far as that goes

I would only run premium if I was using a TRE since it advances stock timing thus can be aided with a more stable fuel mixture. When you use premium in an engine that doesn't need it, the fuel is not burned completely resulting in fouled plugs (over time) and decreased power. 87 for me and then like a few others, some shell v-power to clean her out every few tanks. Can't hurt to just get a can of seafoam and run a little in every 4th or 5th tank of regular instead. I don't trust what they put in as "cleaner", would rather put my own in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back