What Octane Do You Run?

What Octane Do You Run? - Just curious what everyones using.

• 87 Regular

Votes: 207 100.0%
  • 89 Plus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 93 Supreme

• Race

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
(TurboSN95 @ Feb. 23 2007,07:19)
(BlueHaya @ Feb. 23 2007,07:13) All fuels have cleaners in them now.

My question is why are there 3 grades of fuel. Some gas stations have meters on the pumps to show how much fuel has gone through the pump...and unless a pump also has diesel there are only 2 meters. If there are 3 grades should there not be 3 meters. Makes you wonder if there even is a 87 octane or if it is actually 89 and 93. The ratings are minimums not exacts. Makes you wonder.
A lot of stations get 87 and 93 delivered, and then mix them to create 89. Not sure if this answers your question, but I think it does.
Where does this information come from? Not being a d/h but I highly doubt this is the case, although I have no information to refute your statement either. I just dont see this as being the case. Times like this I wish I worked on the "inside" to disspell some of the myth-rumors and/or back-up the facts. And I guess I never paid that much attention to the meters, hell I never even "seen" one meter, let alone 2 meters which would make me ask the same question.. "What about the third?"

Most newer pumps do not have viewable meters on the pumps.  Find an older station.  It does not have to be real old... just older.

(BlueHaya @ Feb. 23 2007,10:40)
(heavybusa @ Feb. 23 2007,09:37)
(TurboSN95 @ Feb. 23 2007,10:19)
(BlueHaya @ Feb. 23 2007,07:13) All fuels have cleaners in them now.

My question is why are there 3 grades of fuel. Some gas stations have meters on the pumps to show how much fuel has gone through the pump...and unless a pump also has diesel there are only 2 meters. If there are 3 grades should there not be 3 meters. Makes you wonder if there even is a 87 octane or if it is actually 89 and 93. The ratings are minimums not exacts. Makes you wonder.
A lot of stations get 87 and 93 delivered, and then mix them to create 89. Not sure if this answers your question, but I think it does.
There is a station out here that has 87, 89, 90, 92 & 93 or something like that.

I'll test this theory and try to shoot a vid for ya.
Dont use electronic devices around fuel pumps or we will see your video on You Tube. biggrin.gif
Hmm good call.

(S7R4NGER @ Feb. 23 2007,07:47) 95 or 98 are the options here... I prefer 95 (cheaper)
Portugal likes octane smile.gif Nice....98 from a pump would have made my old Camaro very happy on race nights!

We had 1 gas station when I was terrorizing the streets that had...I think it was 100 or 102 octane out of one pump. I think I am wrong on this, but I think it was GP fuel? Been 20 years ago.

(inthexring @ Feb. 23 2007,08:08) 87 is what these bikes are supposed to run on!!
I didn't believe it when everyone was telling me 87 ran best until I had a couple of dyno runs using both.

91 Octane = 173.84
87 Octane = 178.32

I have two cans of racing fuel in my garage I will probably dump in my Charger or in my Harley's. I never would have dreamed that 87 would produce more HP than 91, 93 or even racing fuel.

(TurboSN95 @ Feb. 23 2007,08:36) How about just running 89 ?
All I know is seeing my valves after running strict 87 versus running 93 for a couple tanks. I was sold after hearing from a shifty-eyed oil exec that Chevron/Shell (top tier) adds 20% more additives to the 93. I'm sure paying 20¢ more a gallon every few tanks will eventually land me in the poor house, but at least it feels good. rolleyes_extreme.gif biggrin.gif

I use 87 and then 93 ever 4th or 5th tank or so... (But I do like 87 better)

95 and 98 octane rating in other countries is NOT equivalent to our ratings in the US. Run it through our tests and it'll drop to something like 89 and 92.

Other countries do get crappy gas compared to us when it comes to refining. Guys from the UK are always obsessed with "de-coking" their engines regularly...something that doesn't exist in the US unless your vehicle is 2 stroke or has 500,000+ miles on it.

87 = street
89 = +$.10 per gallon
93 = +$.12 per gallon
race gas = racing only then drain
other = racing onlt then drain

First off I want to thank everyone for responding to this thread. Once again the board has proven to be a wealth of information full of very knowlegeable individuals. I am a little ashamed to say i am or better was of the simple minded school of thought more octane hotter burn more power. WOW! I was a little off it appears. Anyhow I think I'll be trying old number 87. I'll prob still splash some 93 in for cleaning additives now and again though. Thanks Again ALL! bowdown.gif

(Busa05_KY @ Feb. 23 2007,05:45) I've read that several people on this board say they run 87 octane. I personally only run 93 octane in all my bikes. I'm sure there isn't much difference, but only the best for my baby. smile.gif
So  wink.gif , explain why you think 93 is the BEST rock.gif ? Now, you must base this on gasoline facts and combustion needs, OK !!!

Just wondering  cool.gif

Me, I use 87 as recommended since I think the guy who designed the bikes engine probably knows alot more about it than me. And I've never had any problems with 87, with absolutely NO difference in driveability when I used higher. So, how do you define BEST  beerchug.gif

(Narcissus @ Feb. 23 2007,06:20) You really should run both. I'd switch between tanks. If you constantly run 87, you'll notice a buildup of carbon on the intake valves.

93 at Shell or Chevron is a lot cheaper than getting 87 and buying a cleaner.
Hummmmmmmm, when did carbon and octane levels equate to each other. Octane level is additives added to raise detonation levels, I really didn't think it took out anything  wink.gif

(Narcissus @ Feb. 23 2007,06:20) You really should run both. I'd switch between tanks. If you constantly run 87, you'll notice a buildup of carbon on the intake valves.

Hummmmmmmm, when did carbon and octane levels equate to each other. Octane level is additives added to raise detonation levels, I really didn't think it took out anything  wink.gif

(DaCol. @ Feb. 23 2007,20:10)

Hummmmmmmm, when did carbon and octane levels equate to each other. Octane level is additives added to raise detonation levels, I really didn't think it took out anything wink.gif
Umm, when did I say anything about octane ratings other than meaning 'regular' (87) versus 'premium' (93)?

I mention 'CLEANERS', then everyone reads "87 and 93" and goes onto a rant about 'OCTANE' levels and 'POWER'.

rolleyes_extreme.gif

OK, so let me clarify... the lowest OCTANE that does not result in detonation or pinging produces optimal POWER.

PREMIUM grade gas at TIER 1 stations (at least at Chevron and Shell that I know) contains 20% more CLEANER than REGULAR and PLUS GRADE gas.

Hence, the reason I run 87 and fill up with PREMIUM every other few tanks.

OK, now I'll sit back and watch another 15 posts quoting me as saying not to run 87.

firedevil.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back