What do you do?  When you have a buddy..

GIVE HIM A SLAP
biggrin.gif

OR, you could print this thread, and make him read it....maybe he would see that you're right and you're not the only one  telling him he'll look dumb on a sportbike without learning to ride first...  ;)
You know I have been thinking exactly that myself...What is this??? You and RSD sit around reading minds? Had to be tough reading such fine print....Heh...

It's a good idea though, I was thinking of taking screen shots and posting them around the office...

I say help him pick up a nice Busa.... Look at it as a good choice for a future parts bike..... Ok, ok, Im sorry that was a smart a$$ thing to say... Look all you can do for the guy is tell it like it is, I know its not what the guy is going to want to hear. I hope he will learn in short order he did the wrong thing and that he only scares the hell out of him self. Good luck its not going to be easy.

Basically, he puts you in the same position as if he wanted to drive home drunk.... 'cept he's legal on the bike and not in a car drunk.

One thing is that this fella seems WAY too concerned about how he's going to have people see him. BIGGG EGO deal there. "I won't take a class to teach me something, because people will know I don't know anything." Might be worth pointing out.

Another thing is people like your friend seem to see bike accidents as either you die or you laugh it off.... no in between. He can be "tough" by saying "Death doesn't frighten me."

What he doesn't see is all the in-between stuff where you don't die, but you are never the same again either. Smashed limbs, crushed joints, head and spine injuries ALLL suck. NOT dying but ending up a QUAD for the rest of their lives, having someone wipe their ass for them and change their diapers.... now that's worse than death.

Me, maybe I'd just tell him he can do this smart and I'd be glad to help all the way, or he can be a stupid prick about the whole thing and I won't have anything to do with it.

Basically, he puts you in the same position as if he wanted to drive home drunk.... 'cept he's legal on the bike and not in a car drunk.  

One thing is that this fella seems WAY too concerned about how he's going to have people see him.  BIGGG EGO deal there.  "I won't take a class to teach me something, because people will know I don't know anything."  Might be worth pointing out.

Another thing is people like your friend seem to see bike accidents as either you die or you laugh it off.... no in between.  He can be "tough" by saying "Death doesn't frighten me."

What he doesn't see is all the in-between stuff where you don't die, but you are never the same again either.  Smashed limbs, crushed joints, head and spine injuries ALLL suck.  NOT dying but ending up a QUAD for the rest of their lives, having someone wipe their ass for them and change their diapers.... now that's worse than death.

Me, maybe I'd just tell him he can do this smart and I'd be glad to help all the way, or he can be a stupid prick about the whole thing and I won't have anything to do with it.
Actually that is pretty much what I have told him...I have never met anyone like him...He's not that close of buddy but he was buggin me about bike stuff cause I ride...He's a good guy, funny as hell but he is just missing something when it comes to bikes. No matter how much I preach about my first bikes etc...he still wants to start at the top.

The whole MSF course thing is really buggin me. There will be a group of about 8 of us going, only two of us have a lot of experiance, one other has some riding experiance, and the the other five have none...I don't get it, no matter what Say he is just so concerned about looking like a "dork" that he wont hear it. Regardless of the fact that the whole course is designed for the absolute beginner....

ok.....lets help out Rev . Yer buddy needs a little tune up. hee hee hee . Try this one....use his own ego/testosterone against him , in order to save his butt . Sort of like judo,the aggressor gets his a$$ thrown to the mat by way of his own anger,weight,an' momentum.
 OK....get a few buddies , get a hold of the same number of dirt bikes , whatever you can find , rent them if you have too.
Make sure everybody can ride well...'cept for Dustin of course.  So,now you head out to the trails, with some eats,some beer , and some bandages for Dustin .
 Ok...NOBODY helps Dustin .  He thinks he's tuff e nuff , an' smart enuff to figure it out . Cool . If he's smart he'll watch everybody start their's , then he might be able to get his going . Cool,he's learning already . Now he's off an' rollin' . Without any instuction he's going to go down (his choice).
Now he's gonna find out in a real hurry there's more to this than meets the eye .  O ya....give him the slowest piece of crap you can find , an' gear him up to the 9's (we dont want to kill the guy , just hurt him a little ) hee hee hee .
   NOW....one of 3 three things are gonna happen....

1.  The guy turns out to be Evil Freakin' Kinieval .(doubtfull)
 2.  He dusts himself off,stops bleeding, and gets the "wake-up" call yer trying to deliver .(takes course,asks yer help,etc)
 3.   Dust's off,stops bleedin', get's pissed off,'cause everybody if laffin' at him , an' decides to never ride motorcycles again .

Wadda ya think....cool huh....
 A bit "heavy-handed" , kind of like a slap in the face with a coal miners glove...  but effective .

If he still wants to ride,he'' be beggin' for yer  
1zhelp.gif
stop "Pussie-footin' " around Rev.....get this guy out.....

AN' GET HIM HURT......I know his type.....its the only way.

Get him BLEEDING.....fun for you , fun for the bro's , fun 4 all.

GET HIM LEARNING....

I don't know, Revlis. You have done more than enough to give him a realistic idea of what riding requires. That's really all you can do....lead him to the trough. He must accept his own responsibility.

He's sort of like somebody with a bad illness that doesn't seem to respond to treatment. No point in being mad at him because he's sick. Be of good cheer and don't let it get you down.

He has his own karma and his own destiny. You probably can't keep him from them.

Gentleman, I know your right. In the meantime, I have pretty much just refused to talk to him about bikes. He is swearing up and down that he is going to go borrow his brothers old Honda Magna, and learn how to ride...We'll See... Otherwise I am all about renting some dirtbikes on the beach and letting the sand educate him...

I always say, "You can't save an idiot from himself." I know this because I have been the idiot before and nobody could save me from myself no matter what they said or done. I had to see for myself. Luckily, so far I've survived all my hard learned lessons.
wink.gif

He's got to check that massive ego at the door! I was embarrassed to be the only one in our group of Harley riders that needed to take the course (crashed and said "hello, you don't know what you're doing and this poop isn't just absorbed by watching others!"). I hated that, and coupled with being the only girl, sucked. But, like so many others have said, what's worse - two days of learning how to do something properly via the MSF course, or being in a heap along side the road while others try to get you help!? :0

A group MSF course is a great idea...everyone can use a refresher from time to time anyway...good luck with this guy Revlis - I know you'd hate to see him hurt or worse...but, ultimately he's the only one that can make the decisions...

Green Beret huh?
rock.gif

You may just have to shoot this guy...more than once probably.

Green Beret huh?
rock.gif

You may just have to shoot this guy...more than once probably.
Well, return of the long lost thread....
Yeah Big O, I work with a lot of interesting people.  There are Green Berret's, Rangers, a handful of 82ND Airborne troops, an Air Force Pararescue troop, and even a couple of Ex SEALs.  It makes for an interesting work environment and ensures that Friday Happy Hours are never boring.  
drinka.gif

Well it looks like I either wore Dust down or he went out, wrecked his brothers bike a few times and doesn't have the stones to tell me about it.  Yeah, he has gotten really quiet about getting bikes all of the sudden.  Sort of a relief in my mind.  The other guy at work "T" is doing just fine.  He is working on his stoppies on his 9R but I figure hey, better his than mine, and the 9R is pretty well suited for hooliganism.   Only problem I have with T is that I cannot get him into the right gear.  He insists that it is much "cooler" to ride in a helmet, T-shirt, and shorts...I told him he looks like a dipSh*t but he is pretty sure it's "cool"...   I give up, I think there is something that the Army does to their "Spec Op" troops that shuts down some critcal reasoning parts of the Human brain...
tounge.gif
 Anyway, thought I would give a bit of an update.

Rev

Hey Rev - maybe he's been reading this thread...
baaa.gif

(note to self...pay attention to the dates of threads...didn't realize it was old)

Direct him to the horrible accident sights.  tell him he is your friend and you do not want anything to happen to him.  Tell him people who have rode for years can get hurt.  You need to know how to avoid people, read their movments and almost become Emphathic to there actions.

Tell him if he cared about his family and friends he would take a course.  Tell him that even experience riders take refreser courses, and it would be a good thing for you to brush up with him.
Tell him if he's truely your friend take the class for YOU even if he doesn't want to. And then coach him as much as he'll allow it.... And explain that there's a difference between being a sportsbike rider and a motorcyclist. Motorcyclist not only ride the bike but are familiar with the bikes they ride as well as the rules of riding

man do i know what your going through, my 21 yo brother wanted to get a bike talkin about ninjas or cbrs. he had minimal experience on a xr100 and wanted 100hp first bike!!
i pleaded with him to stay away from full fairings,reasoning he would drop it a few times, and told him to take the msf . where mark lives NC if you take the class you can get a licsence real easy, its good incentive really. he ended up getting a kawi zr7s but hes already dropped it and had a low side in the rain (sometimes realize pain is the best teacher)

I don't know about you, but people that always ask for my advice but always refuse to take it don't remain my friends for very long, if at all.

Let him get what he wants. At least when he pulls a wheelie and wrecks in that full Starbucks parking lot, he won't look like a geek. A total dumbass, maybe, but not a geek.

Back