What do you do?  When you have a buddy..

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
Here's a tough one, I have a friend who has been inspired.  He is dying to get a bike...BUT.  
[*]He cannot drive a stick,
[*]His driving skills are real sorry,
[*]He has never ridden a motorcycle, how he managed this...
[*]He insists that he start at the top. Ducati 999, RSV Millie R,
    GSXR 1000, R1, 12R, Busa.
[*]Has a pretty serious indestructable attitude.

Here's the deal, you all probably have a buddy or know a guy like this.  Real good guy, but, can barely drive an automatic, has no road sense, doesn't pay any attention, does not understand the mechanics/physics of driving (let alone riding) and is hell bent on getting a big ole' litre class bike so he can get out there and roll with me.

I have tried everything I can think of.  
1. Recommended buying a little $1000 used POS to ride for just a month or so. (says no way He'll look like a geek)
2. Told him he should go to the MSF basic course.  (Says no way, I don't wanna look like a geek,  not knowing how to ride...) yeah I know...
3. Preached until my eyes water about learning on something that costs less than $10K.  I am out of ideas...

pissed.gif

pissed.gif

pissed.gif

I finally told him that I am not going to ride with him, near him, help him get the bike home, help him learn or anything till he agrees to go to the MSF course, Hell I even offered to go along with him. BAH!
   What kills me is that he is an otherwise intelligent, courteous, guy...but man he is getting in over his head...

One bonus, he is all about the leathers and helmets and gear...

Yeah RSD... I have considered just beating some sense into him but he's an Ex-Green Beret, about 3 years younger, and about my size...I figure I'll need a bat and probably a buddy...Wanna Come down to Tampa?

pissed.gif

pissed.gif

I have a brother that is the same way. He was a sniper in the military and when he got out he was indestructible. He bought a horse and thought he could break it by jumping on its back and holding on until it stopped. It threw him off in about 3 seconds and he broke his back. Luckily he is ok.

If he won't listen maybe ask him to go for a ride and pull into a parking lot and show him the basics. If he can ride a bike he may get lucky and do ok on a motorcycle, with a little guidance.

Some people just need to make the mistakes themselves before they can learn. He is kinda putting his life in your hands. You know that, he doesn't.

OH A little more background...  I kinda got burned about a month ago by another co-worker.  He had been talking about all his experiance racing amatuer motocross, all the time he has spent on 600's and such.

Well I took him at his word, we go hunting for a bike he likes, after alot of thought he settled on the ZX9R.  I was like "Good Choice".  Well a week or so later he rides into work and we go for a spin at lunch.  Guess what?

HE DOESN"T KNOW HOW TO RIDE A STREETBIKE.  No Front brakes are being used, puts his little footy out in the corners, hadn't ever heard of countersteering, and basically is just hazardous on the road.   Grrrrrr.

So this is why I am getting so wrapped around the axel on this whole issue.  They want help, advice, suggestions etc, but they leave out important little details, like hasn't ridden since he was eleven...  

OK, So this guy is getting better fast, he knows the basics and he listens to what I have to say, he is using both brakes, has counter stearing figured out and his feet stay on the bloody pegs.   But Man, these two have me pretty stressed...

I hate havin to walk that fine line between ahole and honesty with a friend.
I would probably be honest with him I suppose......tell him how many newbies get injured and maybe even killed startin on liter class bikes.....and these are guys with some mechanical inclination and some common sense that had a 500 for a few months.
Better to be honest and piss him off... than to visit him in the hospital, or attend his funeral Rev!!!!!

They say most accidents happen withn your first 500 mi . Just help him get past that point if he's that eagered to get it .
Also it would be encouraging and a good refreshr if you took the safety class with him. Just my.02

They say most accidents happen withn your first 500 mi .  Just help him get past that point if he's that eagered to get it .
Also it would be encouraging and a good refreshr if you took the safety class with him. Just my.02
Absolutely Rhythm, We have about 5 riders here at the office.  We have about another 5 that want to ride.  I am calling the local MSF guys and setting up a class for us all here in the next month or so, and you bet I will be attending.  I have NO problem going back for a few days of the basics with a bunch of newbies, and some not so new, should be good fun.  I preach and preach MSF around here...

Maybe they will let me use my Busa for the course, I can get some good high speed shots of me in action...Yeah, High speed MSF...
sarcasm.gif
I'll still spend all day getting yelled at to cover the brake and clutch with four fingers....Grrrr...still fun though...

Monster, Whats killin me is that I have brow beat him with the evidance, showed him a couple of my scars.  Showed him the stats... told him he's being a dipsh^t...I wonder sometimes if "Dust" just isn't paying attention.

BTW, Dustin is the pain in the ass who will not listen, T is picking things up fast but had fabricated experiance...but he listens and applies what he hears, so I think he will be just fine, and Hey I get to tromp around on his 9R now and then. Surprisingly sweet bike, I forgot how smoooooth Carbs can be.

If they are that pig headed and wont listen to reason, put a life insurance policy in his name with you as the beneficiary, LOL

Mike

Absolutely Rhythm, We have about 5 riders here at the office.  We have about another 5 that want to ride.  I am calling the local MSF guys and setting up a class for us all here in the next month or so, and you bet I will be attending.  I have NO problem going back for a few days of the basics with a bunch of newbies, and some not so new, should be good fun.  I preach and preach MSF around here...[/QUOTE]

Good deal  Silver(leader of da pack)
thumbs-up.gif

I know how you feel...I have agroup of younger friends who are just getting into riding this year. One of them took my advise and got a used '91 FZR600 for 1,800 bucks. It needs some cosmetic work, but with only 1,400 miles, the bike is plenty for him. I've been teaching him about maintenance, cornering, riding in traffic, etc., and he is doing great, and having a blast. We went on a 200 mile ride on Saturday, and both of us had a great time. My other friend saw how much fun we've been having, and went straight to the local dealership and bought a Bandit 600. Now this would be a great first bike in my opinion, if he were tall enough to properly put his feet down at a stop. Paying the dealership costs sucks in my opinion too. I'm more pissed at whatever salesman sold this bike to him tho, as it is obviously too tall for him. Plus, instead of buying a leather jacket for himself, he spent another wad on a helmet for his girlfriend and is already taking her for rides. He recently had a problem which the dealership told him was a need for a $300.00 jet kit. He brought the bike over to my house so that I could "get it running well enough to get him home", and after I took it for a spin, I told him to put some gas in it. He's already dropped it twice that I know of, once about 15 minutes after I told him that he was going to drop it! And watching him ride is terrifying! He's not riding stupid, he's just one of those guys that's not so well balanced. I don't want to take him on any of our excursions until he's taken the course and has 6 months uner his belt. I hope he stays alive that long.

Direct him to the horrible accident sights. tell him he is your friend and you do not want anything to happen to him. Tell him people who have rode for years can get hurt. You need to know how to avoid people, read their movments and almost become Emphathic to there actions.

Tell him if he cared about his family and friends he would take a course. Tell him that even experience riders take refreser courses, and it would be a good thing for you to brush up with him.

ok.....lets help out Rev . Yer buddy needs a little tune up. hee hee hee . Try this one....use his own ego/testosterone against him , in order to save his butt . Sort of like judo,the aggressor gets his a$$ thrown to the mat by way of his own anger,weight,an' momentum.
OK....get a few buddies , get a hold of the same number of dirt bikes , whatever you can find , rent them if you have too.
Make sure everybody can ride well...'cept for Dustin of course. So,now you head out to the trails, with some eats,some beer , and some bandages for Dustin .
Ok...NOBODY helps Dustin . He thinks he's tuff e nuff , an' smart enuff to figure it out . Cool . If he's smart he'll watch everybody start their's , then he might be able to get his going . Cool,he's learning already . Now he's off an' rollin' . Without any instuction he's going to go down (his choice).
Now he's gonna find out in a real hurry there's more to this than meets the eye . O ya....give him the slowest piece of crap you can find , an' gear him up to the 9's (we dont want to kill the guy , just hurt him a little ) hee hee hee .
NOW....one of 3 three things are gonna happen....

1. The guy turns out to be Evil Freakin' Kinieval .(doubtfull)
2. He dusts himself off,stops bleeding, and gets the "wake-up" call yer trying to deliver .(takes course,asks yer help,etc)
3. Dust's off,stops bleedin', get's pissed off,'cause everybody if laffin' at him , an' decides to never ride motorcycles again .

Wadda ya think....cool huh....
A bit "heavy-handed" , kind of like a slap in the face with a coal miners glove... but effective .

If he still wants to ride,he'' be beggin' for yer
1zhelp.gif

ok.....lets help out Rev . Yer buddy needs a little tune up. hee hee hee . Try this one....use his own ego/testosterone against him , in order to save his butt . Sort of like judo,the aggressor gets his a$$ thrown to the mat by way of his own anger,weight,an' momentum.
 OK....get a few buddies , get a hold of the same number of dirt bikes , whatever you can find , rent them if you have too.
Make sure everybody can ride well...'cept for Dustin of course.  So,now you head out to the trails, with some eats,some beer , and some bandages for Dustin .
 Ok...NOBODY helps Dustin .  He thinks he's tuff e nuff , an' smart enuff to figure it out . Cool . If he's smart he'll watch everybody start their's , then he might be able to get his going . Cool,he's learning already . Now he's off an' rollin' . Without any instuction he's going to go down (his choice).
Now he's gonna find out in a real hurry there's more to this than meets the eye .  O ya....give him the slowest piece of crap you can find , an' gear him up to the 9's (we dont want to kill the guy , just hurt him a little ) hee hee hee .
   NOW....one of 3 three things are gonna happen....

1.  The guy turns out to be Evil Freakin' Kinieval .(doubtfull)
 2.  He dusts himself off,stops bleeding, and gets the "wake-up" call yer trying to deliver .(takes course,asks yer help,etc)
 3.   Dust's off,stops bleedin', get's pissed off,'cause everybody if laffin' at him , an' decides to never ride motorcycles again .

Wadda ya think....cool huh....
 A bit "heavy-handed" , kind of like a slap in the face with a coal miners glove...  but effective .

If he still wants to ride,he'' be beggin' for yer  
1zhelp.gif
Cold Blooded or not RSD that's a damn fine idea. It's killing me that he won't even consider the MSF basic course because "I've never ridden anything, I don't want to look stupi." I asked him how stupid he would look wobbling around on an advanced bike with no skills, or how he will look on a freakin gurny with pins holding a leg together.

Thats a real good idea though, operation make him or break him is in effect...

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'></span>Dont let him se BIKER BOYZ...<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span>or any of the stunt vids out there he will start thinking he can do all of the stunts as well

he may never listen and will have to learn on his own
needs a big ol can of actright served up to him !

hope he makes it to some day be able to ride and make it
rock.gif

rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

just be sure to keep yer distance if he rides with ya

cool.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'></span>Dont let him se BIKER BOYZ...<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span>or any of the stunt vids out there he will start thinking he can do all of the stunts as well

he may never listen and will have to learn on his own
needs a big ol can of actright served up to him !

hope he makes it to some day be able to ride and make it
rock.gif

rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

just be sure to keep yer distance if he rides with ya

cool.gif
I ampretty serious about cutting him out of any rides, until he starts listening. If I do ride with him I'll let him lead, that way I can follow...at a distance...

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

If they are that pig headed and wont listen to reason, put a life insurance policy in his name with you as the beneficiary, LOL

Mike
I second this, fortunately my friends listen to me or they know I won't talk to them, I seem to be the level headed one in the group.
It sounds like your buddy is so consumed with the look factor that he doesn't see the big picture here. Keep nagging at him until he listens or stops talking to you. He will eventually understand what you are saying, either by listening to you or by bad experience.

Mike
You Know I was thinking about that...Then I can recommend the Gixxer 1000. Perfect euthanasia device.

Actually...I Have been kinda eyeballing the 1000....Power and handling....in revliS...I mean Silver...Hmmm...

Some people just have to learn the hard way. Keep an eye on him and just make sure he doesn't make any major mistakes. Sometimes it doesn't matter how many times you tell them how it's supposed to be done they need to screw up a few times before they will listen.

Geez....I don't like to look stupid in front of others...and thats specifically WHY I took the MSF class. What is the most embarassing thing? To take the class with other newbies like you and learn to do it right, or just try and get out there, wobble wobble on your bike and crash in front of everyone? I think we all know the answer. I took the class, I walked in there on Saturday morning, not knowing how to ride at all, walk out on Sunday night with my license, and went home, took my bike for a ride. I got my brand new bike before I did the class. But I refused to ride it until after the class. I wanted to learn to ride first. And I also got all the gear BEFORE I got the bike (boots,leather jacket, gloves, pants...) I felt much more confident and less at risk to crash right away. I don't speed on my bike either...well, I mean, I go over speed limits, but you won't see me at 100 miles an hour on the highway. I don't need a ticket, I don't need to loose my license, and I don't need to die...I have two little kids who need me. I got a bike to enjoy riding and feel like I'm more part of the nature. Not to kill myself. In my opinion, your friend WILL look a lot more stupid getting out there on a bike with no skills. Yup, people will laugh at him big time...and that's exactly what he don't want, right? There's only one way for him to avoid that, and it's MSF class, gear, and getting a bike easy enought o learn on, not a beast to get killed shortly after.

Geez....I don't like to look stupid in front of others...and thats specifically WHY I took the MSF class. What is the most embarassing thing? To take the class with other newbies like you and learn to do it right, or just try and get out there, wobble wobble on your bike and crash in front of everyone? I think we all know the answer. I took the class, I walked in there on Saturday morning, not knowing how to ride at all, walk out on Sunday night with my license, and went home, took my bike for a ride. I got my brand new bike before I did the class. But I refused to ride it until after the class. I wanted to learn to ride first. And I also got all the gear BEFORE I got the bike (boots,leather jacket, gloves, pants...) I felt much more confident and less at risk to crash right away. I don't speed on my bike either...well, I mean, I go over speed limits, but you won't see me at 100 miles an hour on the highway. I don't need a ticket, I don't need to loose my license, and I don't need to die...I have two little kids who need me. I got a bike to enjoy riding and feel like I'm more part of the nature. Not to kill myself. In my opinion, your friend WILL look a lot more stupid getting out there on a bike with no skills. Yup, people will laugh at him big time...and that's exactly what he don't want, right? There's only one way for him to avoid that, and it's MSF class, gear, and getting a bike easy enought o learn on, not a beast to get killed shortly after.
Well Love, Thats what I have been telling him.  I don't know where it is going to end.  Hopefully I will be able to goad him into coming to the MSF with a group from work.  I thought the MSF was entertaining, a little boring maybe but fun.
 I think I am going to try the military argument, they  didn't just toss a rifle and floppy hat on him and tell him to go to it, they provided years of training.  Maybe I can get through that way.  Remind him that he didn't make his first jump without some training.
 You pretty much made my point though, he is going to look real dumb wobblin around the streets on a top of the line rocket.  If you gotta wobble, wobble on an Enduro or a naked bike of some sort for just a month or two... Ah Well.  In the Meantime I am doing my best to keep him out of town...been whispering in his bosses ear.  This week he's in NM, week after in San Diego for two weeks...He can't buy a bike if he's never home right?  
thumbs-up.gif

Later, Rev

OR, you could print this thread, and make him read it....maybe he would see that you're right and you're not the only one telling him he'll look dumb on a sportbike without learning to ride first... ;)

Back