WHAT AN IDIOT!!!

neal

Registered
I somehow after 30 years of riding a bike and more driving a car actually filled my HAYABUSA with DIESEL FUEL! Yes I drove off , about 300 feet before she stopped. , and yes I tried to restart her 4 or 5 times . Then The insnane thought came to my head..... DID you just put diesel fuel in your bike?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?? Looked at the reciept and YEP I did. HELP please!!! I drained the tank but what next? I coul'nt figure out how to remove the fuel lines, seems like some sort of funny looking squueze lock on either end??? i was going to try and fill up with fuel and additives, then push the diesel through with the plugs still in... Any suggestions I would thank. Yes i am new to this forum but this is my 3rd Hayabusa, first in 99, I just plain screwed up and need yall"s help, Laugh a little then please respond with help! God Bless Neal

rock.gif

Don't worry, my brother filled my car with Diesel back when we were younger. I drained out all I could, filled it with gas, cranked it until is started again and then drove the tank out. It smoked a bit but came out as good as it was before.

Kevin

laugh.gif
.. I'm not laughin...
tounge.gif

Happens to the best of us~ Not sure, but I would try pulling the plugs and clean 'em real good or just replace them even~ Flush out your tank real good also~ Then refuel and try again...
wink.gif

clean gas, injector cleaner and get ready to replace the plugs (maybe). It's going to be a smoker when it does fire up.

Naw that aint stupid.. probably had other stuff on your mind..

Stupid is when I was about 17 working at a gas station and some dude came up, opened the hood (trunk if you will) of his old 70's VW bug and decided to fill the radiator with water.

I was kind of wondering what the heck he was doing with the water hose pulled out and going into his engine compartment.

While I am sure 99% of you get the point, for the other 1% that might not be familiar with the old VW bugs, they were air cooled, no radiator.

Guy was putting water into what he THOUGHT was a radiator and it was actually his oil.

Anyway, hate to really call the guy and idiot, but putting diesel in something I can see happening. Putting water in an air cooled system... well that kind of almost qualifies for the idiot part.

With that little story said, I wish I could offer some advice, the only thing I can think of is drain everything.... Doesn't diesel run hotter? so maybe draining everything, replacing the plugs etc might be in order....

Good luck..

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107669748 -->

You probably would be surprised at how many of us have done the same or put gas in a diesel tank, happens all the time, dont sweat it.:)

WOW!! this is refreshing!!!

A new guy didnt get flamed to ashes!!!! lol

Welcome to the board btw
biggrin.gif

That's one of those things where you hear the story and say, "But for the grace of god, there go I."  

I don't know about other states but in CA, the diesel nozzles at the gas stations are bigger than the regulr nozzles and they won't fit into the newer cars at all.  A few years ago, I was trying to stuff the nozzle of a diesel pump into my car and it simply wouldn't go.  I was actually getting rather pi$$ed off about it NOT letting me put diesel in my car!

Now THAT'S funny!

--Wag--

<!--EDIT|Wag
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107704390 -->

Welcome to the board. Sorry about your mistake. I know a guy who did the same with his Harley. He got it out and put clean gas in and it ran fine afterwards. I'm sure there are many others that have made the mistake.

I hear where you are coming from man.

When I had just got my bike, me and a friend went for a spin. When we stopped for gas he went inside to pay, and I payed at the pump. Well I took out the nozzle, hit the 93, and then put the nozzle in my bike. There I am squeezing and squeezing but nothing is coming out. I'm still there looking confused as hell why no gas is coming out of the pump when my buddy comes back. He goes, "what the hell are you doing!" I said "filling up my bike, what the hell do you think I'm doing." He said, "with diesel!?!?!?"

Hehe, at the left side of the pump I was at was the normal gas nozzle and at the right side was the diesel. I was so excited about riding the bike I wasn't paying attention and picked up the diesel nozzel. However I had hit the 93 octane button on the other side of the pump and not the diesel button....so nothing came out.

I thanked my buddy and god that day.

SO.....no you are not an idiot for doing that, I can see where you are coming from.....or you are an idiot, and I'm right there, riding to school with you in the small schoolbus!

As everyone has suggested, clean out the tank & lines as well as you can & it will fire up. Diesel in a gas motor won't hurt it. Just don't try putting gas into a diesel motor!!
wink.gif

Hey All, she is back running!!!! Allot of smoke as yall had said and running again. Thanks to All who replied. However it still isn't funny to me yet.............. hehe. neal<span style='color:green'></span>

Back