What a good $ for paint.

SHIRO HAYABUSA

Registered
Just called to get a quote on a basic white with decals under the clear coat. I was quoted 8-$900. Is this a fair price for sanding and paint for all fairings and tank? I wasn't sure what to expect but I figured 4 or 500 not 900!

Advice please.......

QUE5710N

thats about what it takes, with them providing all materials, except decal kit.

base clear has been about 800 for me. tri coat is usually about 1300. you can buy your own paint and save some money usually and get the exact shade you want. just be sure to get matching reducer etc..

Last edited:
Reducer? what's that? Would I save a significant amount of money doing it myself? I have zero experience with a gun and zero supplies? I read the thread on doing it yourself after tools and materials it seems like it costs more.

no i mean buy the color, clear, reducer yourself. you can save a little just by buying that.

yes you would save money by doing it yourself, if thats something you would be interested in, but i dont really reccomend it without live guidance or prior experience.

and on supplies, yes youll have prob close to the same money as a drop off job.

Here they start at 500 then you have to add the price of materail and repairs.

900 is not an high number but you can get it done for less if you shop around

I painted this bike for less then 300 in matrerial

I think the clear was only 75 for the gallon and the base was 36 a quart.

Primer runs like 80 a gallon

Where are you located maybe we could work something out.

I do not think that I would use that brand clear again but there are some other clears that cost about 120 to 130 that work great

2010-05-21_11.31.35.jpg

2010-05-21_11.31.48.jpg

2010-05-21_11.32.49.jpg

2010-05-21_11.33.01.jpg

Last edited:
$900 seems decent. I paid $500 and got a $500 paint job, those fairings are now sitting in boxes in the basement...

I'm in Johnson City, TN. By the sounds of it I'm for sure gonna buy the materials myself. I love the all black. That's what mine was factory. Then previous owner painted her white and left frame black. I'd be more than happy to bring where you are if it's not too far.

Fastfrog: I could live with $500 but $900 I just don't see the point for a basic white with clear. They don't even have to remove the tank and plastic.

I'm in Johnson City, TN. By the sounds of it I'm for sure gonna buy the materials myself. I love the all black. That's what mine was factory. Then previous owner painted her white and left frame black. I'd be more than happy to bring where you are if it's not too far.

Fastfrog: I could live with $500 but $900 I just don't see the point for a basic white with clear. They don't even have to remove the tank and plastic.

I could do it for you.. I do not think that shipping would be that much if you wrapped the parts in bubble wrap

Shipping the tank! What is that gonna cost? Never shipped anything heavier than a pack of oreos (don't ask)?

Shouldn't be too much, I paid $100 for shipping on a full set of body work from ebay. Not sure if that was actual cost, but i dont see the seller (Company not individual) losing money on shipping. They arent very heavy heavy, got some bulk tho.

Shouldn't be too much, I paid $100 for shipping on a full set of body work from ebay. Not sure if that was actual cost, but i dont see the seller (Company not individual) losing money on shipping. They arent very heavy heavy, got some bulk tho.

Like I said the money comes in fees for over size box. do not use a box. wrap them in bubble wrap put a label on them and mail them out.

but i need my tank more than plastics. I just figured I could get the plastics done since I'm also doing the tank. The tank is missing about an 1-1.5in. ring of paint around the gas cap.

but i need my tank more than plastics. I just figured I could get the plastics done since I'm also doing the tank. The tank is missing about an 1-1.5in. ring of paint around the gas cap.

So what are you trying to get done.

Do you want a color match.. Color rite paint is $124.00 for a pint

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow from shop, but I need my tank repainted same white as plastics. However, since tank is gonna be painted may as well have all plastics redone.

Everything repainted white (plastics and gas tank). If I ship em to you I'm guessing tank is gonna cost quite a bit. I'm just assuming here I really have no idea. Anyone every shipped a tank?

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow from shop, but I need my tank repainted same white as plastics. However, since tank is gonna be painted may as well have all plastics redone.

Everything repainted white (plastics and gas tank). If I ship em to you I'm guessing tank is gonna cost quite a bit. I'm just assuming here I really have no idea. Anyone every shipped a tank?

i am going to try this one more time. i must not be asking the right question

Are you talking about a factory white busa paint.

If its a factory color you are trying to match then there is only color rite paint at $124.00 a pint

So are you trying to match a factory color or just a plan off the shelf white

My guess to ship a tank in bubble wrap will be about 20 bucks. I told you a guy just shiped me a tank and I know it was not more then that

I painted my bike for alot less than that. But I know that the amount of time I spent sanding and cleaning then re-sanding can lead to high labor cost. So 800 or so is pretty solid. I bought my paint materials for National coating (Carquest). I spent 225.00 for everything needed to paint the 11 pieces, 12 if you have an undertail. The color was a basic white and I added the pearl to the clear. The Dupont professional grade stuff is pretty good. For my first attempt I didn't want to use HOK or PPG stuff that may extend my budget. More so I didn't want to screw up and waste good paint. Below is a picture. The decals I found on ebay. Not the best adhesive but it works for now

2010-06-02 18.51.33.jpg

SSPX0157.jpg

Back