weird battery - will/wont start

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
some weird stuff happened yesterday on my ride, got the bike out, wiped her down to get the dust off and then fired her up. Great weather here yesterday, 70something so I take a nice ride over to a buddy's house about 10miles away. Hang out there for an hour and come back out, the bike will not start! Lights come on, computer/odom. and the fuel pump all power up but she will not kick over. When I try all the power goes away (lights out/computer/odom off). So I roll start it and get going thinking well maybe I left the p lights on and it needs to charge. Ride a spirited trip over to a local hangout and find she wont start again! Roll start and take her home. About 8hrs later, she fires right up in the garage.

Thoughts? Is this a bad battery that needs to be charged or could this be something more?

Thanks
Zuk

did you have the kick stand down?? not tring to be a smart A$$. maybe check the conection down by the kickstand it might be lose and needs to tightened? hope it works out.

nah, trust me I messed with everything .... kickstand up/down, neutral....I finally couldnt figure it out and just roll started it 2x.

The dangest thing is it fired right up after sitting for 8hrs and fired right up that morning......only was acting up when it was away from home
wink.gif

If the starter motor is pulling all the juice away when you hit the button and killing the lights and other electrical, I'd say you have a bum starter motor.

hmm, thats no good .... would that probably a warranty issue or wear/tear?

Sounds like a connection problem to me. Check connections at battery and ground connection where it hooks to engine and connection at starter. Use caution around batteries when they act like this. They can blow up. Use safety glasses

I have the same problem for 2+yrs. I believe the engine is harder to turn when its hot, like 5 minutes after turning it off. Some of us got second rate batteries that aren't up to par of most stock batteries. My battery is almost done now, so when I get a fresh one I'll be curious to see if the problem continues. At least you can pop the clutch in second and start the bike that way.

....always stinks when you can't count on her to start when you're rollin' away from home! I had a very similiar problem. Found out it was a short in the positive side battery cable. It also likes to be tightened really well and covered correctly by the little red plastic/rubber flap. The flap is important, as it is easy to arc when not properly fitted over the connection. Be careful to if you are constantly taking the battery out, charging, and replacing. I have sometimes failed to button it all back up just right and found she wouldn't start after the first gas stop. Good luck!

Battery life span 12 to 18 months it is better to change the battery every year regardless
wink.gif
 if you can spend the $$$
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|madlyhs
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100360336 -->

Battery life span 12 to 18 months it is better to change the battery every year regardless
wink.gif
 if you can spend the $$$
cool.gif
no they last longer it all depends on how they were serviced from the start.
I worked in the dealership so I set mine up in April of 99 just replaced the OEM battery last week.
Thats 66 months

Back