Help bike wont start

candybusa07

Registered
I am trying to fix my buddy's bike. hes got a 2009 yamaha r6. The bike wont start and the headlights wont come on. Everything else works turn signals, tail light, gauges. The bike turns over but wont fire. I already checked the usual spots. any help would really help

thanks

Is it still under warranty? Has the bike been laid down? How thorough is checking the usual spots?

sometimes its the most ridiculous thing that can give you headaches. its wierd how they tie electrical stuff together on things now day.

start checking fuses....a 10 dollar volt meter will do you good here....

Sounds like a fuse burnt up.

Or he shorted something out and in turn should pop a fuse....whatever fuse you burnt out buy multiples until you find the issue.

Does it try to crank at all or just dead?? If it is just dead I would try the fuses 1st. then checking the battery. If it make a noise like it tries to start but can't just can't even turn over if the battery is good it may have oil in the cylinders. A friends cbr600rr was thrown in a creek took forever to get it cranked a battery charger and turning the back wheel while in gear finally got it cranked (smoked like crazy). That would probably only be if it fell over though.
With the headlight not coming on I would say a fuse thought, most of the newer bikes won't crank unless the headlight comes on these days, you could also trace the ignition wire jump the wires with a paper clip and see if i will crank I would look into the fuses first

can you hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key with the engine kill switch on, if not then you might want to check the plug on the left side that hooks up your headlight/gauge bundle just or the fuel pump wires....it might be also a fuse

Last edited:
Back