Warranty issue

Rhythm

http://www.youtube.com/us
Donating Member
Registered
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok guys I need your opinions and input on a problem I having with an warranty issue with Motonation.com (http://www.motonation.com/)  . My fairly newly purchased boots (Sidi Discovery)  toe pad on the gear side stitching is starting to come loose and now the leather pad is starting to separate from the boot. After contacting Motonation on the phone I was given a RMA number to return the boot for inspection. Well a few days later I was notified by Craig, the boot damage was not covered and appeared to be abused beyond normal wear and tear and that I should not have removed the metal toe guard.   I called Motonation and spoke with Rob the assistant manager and was basically told the same story. Rob told me the reason the boot failed was because the boot made impact with somthing under other than normal use and that the impact in some way caused the stitching to pop loose. Bascially I understood him as to saying the boot sustained it's damage during condition the boot was not built for.

In response I tried to explain to Rob (Assistant Manager) the boot has only been used no more than 20 times since I purchased them back in Dec 07, and have only made contact with the gear shift lever which it was intended for.  Granted there is some scuffing on the front sole area where the metal plate should have been, but this area is no where near the problem area.  I agreed with Rob explaining there was impact to the area of concern, in fact repeated contact with only my gear shift lever . However, I also explained ,I do understand this is a problem area of a boot which recieves a lot of contact (rubbing) and that a high quality boot such as the Sidi Discovery with a year warranty was built for the purpose I used them for (shifting)  and should have held up longer for the  short period I've owned them.

I blown away with the response or better yet excuse's I was given by their Warranty Dept Rep Craig Watkins and Asstant Mgr Rob.
To some it all up I was told by removing the toe guard you void the warranty and that I abused the boot beyond it's intended use by dragging it or the boot made impact to somthing it was not designed for.

Copy of email response from Motonation Warranty Dept. http://www.motonation.com/

Hello Tyrone,

I got around to looking at the boot you sent in.  Unfortunately, I can't claim it as a "warranty"￾ return as it appears the boot was dragged on/near the toe area which is what appeared to have separated the toe cover from the toe area which was probably due to the metal toe piece missing..

If you like, I can have our cobbler take a look at it to see if he can affect a repair, although I highly doubt it will be a 100% fix.  Just a guess, but I figure it will run upwards of $30.00

Let me know"¦

Craig Watkins

Warranty and Small Parts Department

Ph. (619) 401-4100 x103 | Fx. (619) 401-4108

1100 N. Magnolia Ave. #A, El Cajon, CA 92020

Here are some photos I sent them prior to shipping showing exactly the problem with the boots.

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

What really burns me up about the whole situation is that I was accused of lying of how the damaged came about.  Here is a recent photo I took after recieveing them with a nice detail buff job I applied before taking them out on the road. The photo will also show the metal protector would not have protected if it was left on, it's almost an inch away.

Before:

SIDI20Discovery20Small.jpg

After:
DSC00457.jpg

Also note, if you look closely in the photos at the front toe area just below where the stitching is coming loose the slim vertical rubbing marks lines just in front of the leather gear pad in photo two will verifiy what caused the problem and that the boot was used as intended. If the boot was dragged as suggested the boot would have shown a larger impact(contact patch) area with a greater amount of damage tearing into the leather or scuffing it up comparable to the sole area , and  not slim vertical rubbing lines leading to the area where the stitching and pad has come apart.

Because I ride on the balls of my feet (toe area) resting on the foot lever, the  marks shown are caued by the rubber gear shifter lever rubbing against the front  of the boot  prior to me moving my foot foward to shift up or down and not scrape marks from impact made to the pavement or anything other than the gear shift lever.

The photos will justify the boots were used and failed during normal wear and tear. You guys tell me, do the photos and my explanation show this boot as  to being dragged or abused beyond normal wear and tear as I was told or a manufacture defect in workmanship or material used?

Thanks

sort of hard to see in the photo but the leather looks damaged as well as the toe being scuffed.. how did the toe get scuffed?

The tear in the seam at the toe (esp. photo #2) does not look like a warranty issue, at least to me. I can see their standpoint, to be honest, but I would not have used the word "abused". Not trying to dog you about it, just being objective.

At least they offered to have it repaired for you, even though it would have been at your expense. That is better customer service than I got from them two years ago. If you aren't a dealer, they pretty much could care less about your problem(s).

It looks like you got them back to 100%, so just enjoy them. Chalk it up to experience.
beerchug.gif

sort of hard to see in the photo but the leather looks damaged as well as the toe being scuffed..  how did the toe get scuffed?
The sole and leather is scuffed from me sliding my foot underneath the the rubber gear shift to upshift.

See how the slim vertical rubbing marks are consistant from the front of the boot to the top?

DSC01009.jpg

Remember when you shift you have to move your foot outward a bit to get the boot underneath the gear shifter. This is where the lip of the pad was catching prior to the boot getting  positioned directly under to lift up, showing the trail from the front to the top of the boot.  Did that make sense?

looks for all the world like it got dragged....
If that was the case, the entire front side lip of the sole would be scuff to hell. What you're seeing is fraying from the rubbing effect. Look closely at the sole, theres' no scuffing or heavy damage the would justify the lifting of the pad. Download it and increase the image.

The tear in the seam at the toe (esp. photo #2) does not look like a warranty issue, at least to me. I can see their standpoint, to be honest, but I would not have used the word "abused". Not trying to dog you about it, just being objective.

At least they offered to have it repaired for you, even though it would have been at your expense. That is better customer service than I got from them two years ago. If you aren't a dealer, they pretty much could care less about your problem(s).

It looks like you got them back to 100%, so just enjoy them. Chalk it up to experience.
beerchug.gif
The afterward photos taken were prior to me wearing them for the first time. I took the iniative to buff and seal the boots in order  help them last longer. Which clearly indicate I don't abuse my property.

I just read some of your replies, and it sounds like you are acknowledging that you caused the damage. Maybe those boots don't match your riding style. Maybe something with molded in shifter pads, rather than stitched on with untucked seams. Sidi makes a damned good boot, and there's got to be something that they make that will work for you. If not, try A-Stars. I know the SMX Plus boots have molded in (plus backstitched) shift pads.

I just read some of your replies, and it sounds like you are acknowledging that you caused the damage. Maybe those boots don't match your riding style. Maybe something with molded in shifter pads, rather than stitched on with untucked seams. Sidi makes a damned good boot, and there's got to be something that they make that will work for you. If not, try A-Stars. I know the SMX Plus boots have molded in (plus backstitched) shift pads.
Your absolutely correct, this boot is probably the most comfortable boot I've owned straight out the box. However, the boots were used as intended or designed for and should be repaired! The burden shouldn't fall on the customer because the boot did not hold up to their expectation (warranty tme limit). The boots have only been ridden in no more than twenty times total in the four months of owning  The damaged was caused and has been shown as to using under normal riding. You don't agree?
Thanks for you opinion and recommendation on an alternative.

Perhaps you should try going directly to SIDI? Sounds as if your dealer has made up their mind.

I just wanted to get some opinions on this issue prior to contacting them.

I bought a set of very expensive Kitchen Knives from a reputable retail chain. The handles started to whiten up and I took them back and the retailer would do nothing for me. I was at the Chicago Housewares show and ran into the Manufacturer and they gave me another set on the spot and asked that I mail them the set I bought when I got home. I called the guy when I got home and he told me not to even bother with sending the original set back. I think the manufacturers tend to take customer service more serious than their dealers.

I bought a set of very expensive Kitchen Knives from a reputable retail chain. The handles started to whiten up and I took them back and the retailer would do nothing for me. I was at the Chicago Housewares show and ran into the Manufacturer and they gave me another set on the spot and asked that I mail them the set I bought when I got home. I called the guy when I got home and he told me not to even bother with sending the original set back. I think the manufacturers tend to take customer service more serious than their dealers.
I hope my outcome will be similar.
rock.gif

If it got dragged, while riding the drag mark would be going the other way !! I can tell that was from shifting, because I have the same marks on my old boots.

If it got dragged, while riding the drag mark would be going the other way !! I can tell that was from shifting, because I have the same marks on my old boots.
Exactly my point, thanks for takoing a closer look and using your rider judgement to determine the cause.

Back