Volkswagen and Porsche

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
I am watching an interesting show called "Hitler's Engineers" and it is focusing on Ferninand Porsche and his role within the Nazi regime...

It showed pictures of Hitler commissioning the VW "Bug" although it wasn't called that and him driving one with Porsche sitting in the passenger seat with a big smile...

Makes one wonder how this brand became so popular and world reknown especially when one looks back at it's origins and the use of slave labor in its factories where they had concentration camps on their property....

I found it to be interesting how we can embrace one brand with evil beginnings while absolutely canceling out others

Vintage Driving GIF by Porsche Museum

The Bug was a cheap car, easy to produce in the millions, and it had quirky styling that never changed over the years.
It was 180 degrees different from what Detroit was producing at the time.
I suppose people didn’t know or care about its origins and just loved the car, but I understand your point.

Ferdinand Porsche had no choice but to help Hitler... Hitler wasn't a person that you said no to and live to talk about it.

The Japanese committed horrible atrocities during WW2 as well, should we not own Suzuki motorcycles?

Humans have a knack for forgetting, mentally moving on from trauma. It's how we survive.

Besides, Porsche cars are fantastic.

IMG_4584.JPG

Ferdinand Porsche had no choice but to help Hitler... Hitler wasn't a person that you said no to and live to talk about it.

The Japanese committed horrible atrocities during WW2 as well, should we not own Suzuki motorcycles?

Humans have a knack for forgetting, mentally moving on from trauma. It's how we survive.

View attachment 1676906
I believe your last sentence answers all the questions. For fast performance sports cars Porsche are right at the top when it comes to reliability. Sadly German reliability has gone down the drain, but Porsche seems to have maintained the excellence of German Engineering.

I believe your last sentence answers all the questions. For fast performance sports cars Porsche are right at the top when it comes to reliability. Sadly German reliability has gone down the drain, but Porsche seems to have maintained the excellence of German Engineering.
They've had their engineering lapses too... my 2001 Carrera is a perfect example. The 996 generation being the first water-cooled 911 had a clean-sheet design engine that had a number of Achilles Heels that could catastrophically destroy the powerplant without warning. The IMS bearing being the number one assassin. The following generation 911, the 997, had the same issue, as did the 986 and 987 generation Boxsters and Caymans. That was a massive engineering failure on Porsche's part.

The engines were also prone to bore-scoring due to a new cylinder coating they were forced to change to thanks to Euro-emissions regulations, and there could be enough movement of the cylinders within the block that it caused cracking and "d-chunking" of the cylinders where they met the head.

All of these issues were eventually solved by the aftermarket but Porsche never admitted any fault to the design. I suppose their greatest admission was that the engine they designed to replace the M96/M97 family (the 9A1) in the newer cars fixed every issue of the old...

Still, these known problems keep the prices down on these models which allows normal people like myself to actually get the chance to own them. The issues, as catastrophic as they can be, are not guaranteed with just a small fraction of the cars actually succumbing to failure (regardless of what the internet tells you) and when they're running well, they're freaking amazing. Even the lowliest Boxster is a fantastic driving machine!

And worst-case, an LS V8 fits nicely into all of them. :devil:

View attachment 1676906
What we buy from Japan today wasn't commissioned by their Emperor unlike what came out of VW.....when you see file footage of a maniacal murderer of millions driving a Volkswagen Bug that he had designed and built, it puts it more into perspective...and then there's the whole employment of slave labor from concentration camps to make them thrown in for good measure.....

The Porsche factory made turret motors for Tiger and Panther tanks......

Ferdinand Porsche could have fled Germany, he had ample opportunities to do so.......and he sure looked chummy to 'ol "crazy brain Hitler" in the file footage I saw....there was a Jewish co-founder in the company...guess where he went....

He sure looks like a good Nazi to me....

Porsche.jpg

What we buy from Japan today wasn't commissioned by their Emperor unlike what came out of VW.....when you see file footage of a maniacal murderer of millions driving a Volkswagen Bug that he had designed and built, it puts it more into perspective...and then there's the whole employment of slave labor from concentration camps to make them thrown in for good measure.....

The Porsche factory made turret motors for Tiger and Panther tanks......

Ferdinand Porsche could have fled Germany, he had ample opportunities to do so.......and he sure looked chummy to 'ol "crazy brain Hitler" in the file footage I saw....

He sure looks like a good Nazi to me....

View attachment 1676909
Well don't buy a Porsche then. :beerchug:

PS: Those Hugo Boss-designed uniforms were stylish!

I wouldn't anyway as cars don't interest me..

I just found it interesting that a company founded by the Nazi party is so revered and loved...and not canceled by those of today...

Yet they'll rip statues down and rename buildings and streets named after our Canadian founding fathers....
We're living in Clown World, indeed.

Remember this? You can't write comedy better than real life.

Screen Shot 2024-01-27 at 12.33.24 PM.png

I wouldn't anyway as cars don't interest me..

I just found it interesting that a company founded by the Nazi party is so revered and loved...and not canceled by those of today...

Yet they'll rip statues down and rename buildings and streets named after our Canadian founding fathers....
Bee, you are not serious about this are you?

Japan supported Hitler, Pearl Harbor, and Suzuki was making armaments at the time to help the Nazi’s.

So you going to sell the Busa?

Bee, you are not serious about this are you?

Japan supported Hitler, Pearl Harbor, and Suzuki was making armaments at the time to help the Nazi’s.

So you going to sell the Busa?
You obviously aren't tracking what I'm talking about....

Suzuki wasn't a motorcycle company during WW2, Suzuki didn't make a motorcycle until in the '50s.

There is little doubt about the role Japan took in WW2, that isn't being disputed.

I'm talking about an actual brand and model of car that was spawned directly by the nazi party and is accepted worldwide without question or thought and nobody is cancelling that brand in any way, shape or form yet will cancel the very foundation of our country if given a chance. Statues of our founding fathers are being torn down, streets and buildings are being renamed.

Honestly I never really thought about it myself....

I just thought it was ironic.

Bug.jpg

Last edited:
You obviously aren't tracking what I'm talking about....

Suzuki wasn't a motorcycle company during WW2, Suzuki didn't make a motorcycle until in the '50s.

There is little doubt about the role Japan took in WW2, that isn't being disputed.

I'm talking about an actual brand and model of car that was spawned directly by the nazi party and is accepted worldwide without question or thought and nobody is cancelling that brand in any way, shape or form yet will cancel the very foundation of our country if given a chance. Statues of our founding fathers are being torn down, streets and buildings are being renamed.

Honestly I never really thought about it myself....

I just thought it was ironic.

View attachment 1677002
LOL, you are getting like Blanca, who will never forgive the Israelis, regarding their response after enticed into the 1948 war by the Arabs.

It’s 2024, what Canada did to the indigenous peoples and what Americans did to the native Indians, is part of the past, it’s part of our history, we learn from it and life goes on.

LOL, you are getting like Blanca, who will never forgive the Israelis, regarding their response after enticed into the 1948 war by the Arabs.

It’s 2024, what Canada did to the indigenous peoples and what Americans did to the native Indians, is part of the past, it’s part of our history, we learn from it and life goes on.
It's obvious you aren't tracking the point I'm making.

It's obvious you aren't tracking the point I'm making.
I get the point, you don’t get the relationship of what I said to the point.

VW has the second largest world wide market share, second to Toyota, so obviously not many care about marketing, as it relates to the brand name associated with Hitler.

Those folks in Canada who want to destroy history have it too good in life. They have too much time for BS, rather than using their time to put food on the table.

I get the point, you don’t get the relationship of what I said to the point.

VW has the second largest world wide market share, second to Toyota, so obviously not many care about marketing, as it relates to the brand name associated with Hitler.

Those folks in Canada who want to destroy history have it too good in life. They have too much time for BS, rather than using their time to put food on the table.
^^^^^
Sadly, what we are seeing is a decline of people to where they have no respect for anything. This is also related to your VW thing.

Mona Lisa: Protesters throw soup at da Vinci painting Mona Lisa: Protesters throw soup at da Vinci painting
I only brought up what was happening in Canada as an example but as you pointed out this is a global movement of protest and cancel culture..........yet.......

Even I forgot about the link to the Volkswagen "Bug" and the nazi creators that gave it to the masses and how beloved it has become over the years.....it seemed that people didn't link it to the evil that designed and promoted it....

I only brought this whole thing up after watching a documentary on TV called "Hitler's Engineers" which featured Ferdinand Porsche wearing a nazi unform shaking hands and laughing with Hitler.....

Even I forgot about the link to the Volkswagen "Bug" and the nazi creators that gave it to the masses and how beloved it has become over the years.....it seemed that people didn't link it to the evil that designed and promoted it....
Hitler was a protagonist in the advancement of rocketry and weaponry, an advocate of conservation and even the practice of child support started during the Hitler years. Should we link those to evil as well? It's the whole of a man that is judged, and that is why we don't have statues or monuments celebrating him. What bothers me about the point you tried to make is I feel it makes light of people not wanting racists celebrated by those same statues and monuments.

Edit: I'm not implying that was your intent

Last edited:
Back