vertical tag mount??

drnick

Registered
To anyone who resides in Florida; can I mount the tag on my bike in the vertical position??? THX...

you can mount it anyway you want, but the only place you wont get a ticket ...is to mount it where its supposed to go

Vertical License Plate Laws on Motorcycles

The plate must be at least 18" above the ground, be centrally located and mounted horizontally. The plate must be rigidly mounted and clearly visible from any angle behind the motorcycle. This means that plates mounted forward of the rear wheel, or on either side of the motorcycle, are in violation of the law. And, if a plate is mounted on a pivoting hanger it is also in violation of this vehicle code. The first time violation of this code is a fine of $1,141.00. The second infraction costs $2,500.00, the third costs $5,000 and loss of motorcycle license endorsement for 10 years.

Vertical License Plate Laws on Motorcycles

The plate must be at least 18" above the ground, be centrally located and mounted horizontally. The plate must be rigidly mounted and clearly visible from any angle behind the motorcycle. This means that plates mounted forward of the rear wheel, or on either side of the motorcycle, are in violation of the law. And, if a plate is mounted on a pivoting hanger it is also in violation of this vehicle code. The first time violation of this code is a fine of $1,141.00. The second infraction costs $2,500.00, the third costs $5,000 and loss of motorcycle license endorsement for 10 years.

Do you reside in florida???...each state has different laws in regards to specific placement of tags.

Do you reside in florida???...each state has different laws in regards to specific placement of tags.

That law is Florida's look at the link. It was very public when it was passed because of all the bike weeks that are on Florida. It's pretty straight forward if you ask me. Pretty much NO leniency so if you decide to mount it any other way get ready for the hefty fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main violations strictly enforced down here are vertical mounts and lack of a rigid backing plate. Lots of cruisers sport the horizontal side mounts so LEOs give a little slack on 'em. But the law is the law, better to be legal than to have your ride spoiled by an infraction for something so ridiculous and costly.

Put the Tag vertical as long at it is visible. The ABATE bikers fought and won to have the law overturned. Seems like the Bikers were owed a favor or two.

Put the Tag vertical as long at it is visible. The ABATE bikers fought and won to have the law overturned. Seems like the Bikers were owed a favor or two.

4hsmen,are you a Florida resident???please explain about ABATE,and the overturning of the plate law in Florida. THX

There was a 2010 Harley came out last year with a factory vertical tag mount. Times are changing.
Posted via Mobile Device

There was a 2010 Harley came out last year with a factory vertical tag mount. Times are changing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Didn't see the vertical mount, but there's a swinging side mount on the Rocker that is probably illegal by FL law.

It will in Florida too. They are very strict in some parts...

Very! No leniency here on the west coast. Too many idiots and really bad behavior by squids (wheelies, running, being asshats in general) has spoiled it for all.
I'm by no means a saint nor prude, however there is a time and place for everything and in the general public, during the day in traffic isn't it.

4hsmen,are you a Florida resident???please explain about ABATE,and the overturning of the plate law in Florida. THX

Yes I am in Ft Laud.
Abate of Florida reports that governor Charlie Crist signed an amended bill restoring the legality of the use of a vertical tag for motorcycles and scooters if it cannot be adjusted or flipped up to conceal the plate numbers. New law took effect on July 1st.
no worries

Yes I am in Ft Laud.
Abate of Florida reports that governor Charlie Crist signed an amended bill restoring the legality of the use of a vertical tag for motorcycles and scooters if it cannot be adjusted or flipped up to conceal the plate numbers. New law took effect on July 1st.
no worries

THX for the reply,is there a link to find out about the amended bill that Crist signed..so I can print it out,( just in case I get stopped by a LEO)P.S. where you on the run Nov 20 to Lake Okeechobee???..I just checked Abate of florida....there link to
Florida's Traffic Laws,and did not find anything about Vertical tags being legal...316-2085-003 Paragraph 3 states Horizontal
and has to be read from left to right...and you can put a plate perpendicular to ground,but the plate #'s and letter's have to be read from top to bottom....meaning the letters and #'s can't be sideway's....no plate in this country is made that way.

Last edited:
THX for the reply,is there a link to find out about the amended bill that Crist signed..so I can print it out,( just in case I get stopped by a LEO)P.S. where you on the run Nov 20 to Lake Okeechobee???

YOu can show anything ya want to a LEO on the side of the road, you're still getting the ticket:banghead:

Better to not argue with him and wait for court, IMO

Back