Two very good questions......

(NightCrawler @ Feb. 08 2007,22:38)
(deldewey @ Feb. 08 2007,12
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) Candidate C: He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke,
drinks an occasional beer and hasn't had any extramarital affairs.

Candidate C - is Adolph Hitler.
War "hero"?
rock.gif
Is that what he is?
First he wasn't a war hero, he ended  WW1 as a private with NO Awards until his Political Appointment years later. Next he spent time in jail for sedition. Third he was and admitted to being very racious. And not only for Jews but Blacks, Polish, Russians and Bohemins. He had an affair with Ms Anna Brown (who committed suicide with him) and had young girls to MATE with PURE (as he saw it) German Officers to continue and increase the PURE RACE. So, ya got to give ALL the facts not just some. And all the above is supported in his book Mein Komp (SP?) (Except for Ms Brown) which he did while in prision.  
beerchug.gif

(MC MUSTANG @ Feb. 08 2007,13:47) Jumping to conclusions is a dangerous practice -
I was on a Commissioning interview board for a pair of USN 1st class Petty Officers, trying to go to OCS. One of the Petty Officers seemed to take a very hard line on every question posed to him, so I asked what he thought about people who burn the flag. He discussed his notion that it should be outlawed/banned and people who burn the flag should be flogged/drawn and quartered/deported; you get the idea. So I tell him that I have burned a flag; in fact, three - and ask him what he thinks of that. He tells the board that if I have that little respect for our national symbol, that I don't have the right to sit on his board --
After pointing out that my rights were not his to question, I asked him what is to be done with a flag that has become inservicable - the answer is that it is burned... context is very important; I guess look before you leap is a great adage to live by.
IMHO I don't consider burning the flag in protest as a first amendment right. However the Supremes do. I have trouble with a number of issues concerning the interpretations handed down in recent history by the Supremes. I often wonder what the Founding Fathers would have thought.
rock.gif

Well since we didn't have an official flag until the early 1800's (just read the flag story in my Military History Mag this month but have already given it away so exact date
rock.gif
) they probably wouldn't have cared since they did it to the Union Jack. Infact until the early 1930 no law provided for use of destruction of the flag. Then in the 30's we had laws on not wareing any repersentive flag design on clothing (which they did during the Civil War) or makeing any unrespectful speech about the flag. Infact the Navy in the late 1700 used a Flag that had the Union Jack where our stars are now along with the 13 Bars and Strips. Many States made their on Nation Flag using assorted Star Designs in the upper corner but they ALWAYS had the 13 bars and stripes. The flag that Francis Scott Key wrote about was a 40 X 30 Flag designed so the Brits (who had put on a blockade of  the inlet for 3 months) could see it
SHOCKED.gif
 !  As in  Kiss My  
super.gif

Actually, Hitler could be classed as a war hero. Certainly by todays standards. (His later acts cast a pretty big shadow of course). Though he may have been unpopular with his comrades (he was a P*ick, even as a young man), his bravery was recognised by his officers. Hitler was awarded Germany’s highest award for bravery - the Iron Cross. He called the day he was given the medal, "the greatest day of my life." In all Hitler won six medals for bravery.

Interesting point, the recommending officer (who he blackmailed, more or less) was Jewish. he finished up the war as a CPL.

Anyways, what I really wanted to say was that I enjoyed this line the best.

'Amateurs built the ark.........Professionals built the Titanic'. That is a top stuff.

(DaCol. @ Feb. 09 2007,12:36) Well since we didn't have an official flag until the early 1800's (just read the flag story in my Military History Mag this month but have already given it away so exact date
rock.gif
) they probably wouldn't have cared since they did it to the Union Jack. Infact until the early 1930 no law provided for use of destruction of the flag. Then in the 30's we had laws on not wareing any repersentive flag design on clothing (which they did during the Civil War) or makeing any unrespectful speech about the flag. Infact the Navy in the late 1700 used a Flag that had the Union Jack where our stars are now along with the 13 Bars and Strips. Many States made their on Nation Flag using assorted Star Designs in the upper corner but they ALWAYS had the 13 bars and stripes. The flag that Francis Scott Key wrote about was a 40 X 30 Flag designed so the Brits (who had put on a blockade of the inlet for 3 months) could see it
SHOCKED.gif
! As in Kiss My
super.gif
Sorry, I didn't state clearly. Americans burning the American Flag. I understand our Founders actions, given the circumstances. I think in that era Death without trial would have been the order of the day.

Hitler was not brave, he was insane. There is a VERY distinct difference.

--Wag--

A couple of points, just for fun...

"Crooked politician" isn't an oxymoron. An oxymoron are things that do NOT go together, like "jumbo shrimp"
or "good grief".

"Crooked politician" is redundant.

It is true that amatuers built the Ark, and professionals built the Titanic, but consider who the Project Managers for each were....

Back