Two borrowed thoughts I'd like to share

2hip

Registered
Alan at Sports Bike Dynamics in Petaluma is the consumate bike mechanic...I trashed a chain and a sprocket due to shoddy maintenance of the chain so he told me this is what to do...

1. Go to the hardward store. Buy Mineral Spirits...next to the turpentine. Buy a plastic spray bottle.

2. Put said M. Spirits in the spray bottle. Jack up the back of the bike with your stand. Spray the M.S on the chain liberally and wipe off.

3. Spray the Chain Wax on liberally ...let sit 10 minutes and wipe off excess...u are done.

Here is what I really like about the mineral spirits. It doesn't stink like some of the chain cleaners I've used. My wife would hate it when I cleaned the chain in the garage...the whole garage smelled like a petroleum factory for 2 days.

The second thought is how to remember when to clean and oil the chain. He said no more than 400-500 miles. If u are like me...when the heck did I do it last? So what I'm doing now is one of the trip meters is reset everytime I gas up...the other trip meter is only reset when I clean the chain...it is simple and so far it is working for me...Only took me 15 minutes today from start to finish..deluxe, man

If you were using the DUPONT Chain Saver or Multi Purpose lube you could be done in 5 minutes!!! Just spray it on and let it dry. Never have to clean the chain. It is self cleaning and your chain will look pretty darn good! If your anal like some of us, we clean the chain with the lube and then relube it, but you don't have to. Go quick and easy and just keep spraying it on......:thumbsup:

Remember ONE thing, ride the bike about 1 mile to get the chain warm BEFORE you put the Chain Wax on. Then let it set for at least 10 min. Easy if you lube after a long ride or like he said, each 500 miles and you always have a lubed chain :beerchug:

If you were using the DUPONT Chain Saver or Multi Purpose lube you could be done in 5 minutes!!! Just spray it on and let it dry. Never have to clean the chain. It is self cleaning and your chain will look pretty darn good! If your anal like some of us, we clean the chain with the lube and then relube it, but you don't have to. Go quick and easy and just keep spraying it on......:thumbsup:

I only cleaned my chain once, after riding in a rain storm with the original OEM factory gunk still on the chain. Since then Dupont, never cleaned it again and close to 6,000 miles with no chain stretch. Adjusters are still where they were when new. Had to replace the OEM back tire at around 3,500 miles.

Good tips.
2hip I'm concerned about you though.
Are you so broke from buying the Racetech parts that you are now borrowing thoughts?

:laugh:

were the heck do ya get the dupont from...i cant find it around here!

Alan at Sports Bike Dynamics in Petaluma is the consumate bike mechanic...I trashed a chain and a sprocket due to shoddy maintenance of the chain so he told me this is what to do...

1. Go to the hardward store. Buy Mineral Spirits...next to the turpentine. Buy a plastic spray bottle.

2. Put said M. Spirits in the spray bottle. Jack up the back of the bike with your stand. Spray the M.S on the chain liberally and wipe off.

3. Spray the Chain Wax on liberally ...let sit 10 minutes and wipe off excess...u are done.

Here is what I really like about the mineral spirits. It doesn't stink like some of the chain cleaners I've used. My wife would hate it when I cleaned the chain in the garage...the whole garage smelled like a petroleum factory for 2 days.

The second thought is how to remember when to clean and oil the chain. He said no more than 400-500 miles. If u are like me...when the heck did I do it last? So what I'm doing now is one of the trip meters is reset everytime I gas up...the other trip meter is only reset when I clean the chain...it is simple and so far it is working for me...Only took me 15 minutes today from start to finish..deluxe, man

Not me. I clean and wax the chain after every ride, but a short ride is 350 miles and a long day ride nearer 500.

I use kerosene in a rechargeable aerosol can from Harbor Freight. Spray on, grunge brush, tooth brush, spray it off, run the chain through rags. Every 3rd or 4th time a little compressed air and clean the sprocket, hold the nozzle back so as not to force crap past the orings. Spray on the wax top and bottom, spin the rollers, spray again, wipe the side plates off. Check the slack, check the tire pressures look for nails/screws, check the coolant, oil, transfer the cycle pump/plug kit/tools/ first aid kit to the bike of the day and clean the bugs off while looking for leaks at forks/filter/engine/oil cooler/brakes etc. Standard pre ride check, not as time consuming as it may sound after getting the system down, except for the bugs.

That way all I have to worry about is not crashing.

were the heck do ya get the dupont from...i cant find it around here!

That because I bought it all!!! Muahahahahaahaaa!!!!

Chain Lube 002.jpg

Chain Lube 002.jpg

Not me. I clean and wax the chain after every ride, but a short ride is 350 miles and a long day ride nearer 500.

I use kerosene in a rechargeable aerosol can from Harbor Freight. Spray on, grunge brush, tooth brush, spray it off, run the chain through rags. Every 3rd or 4th time a little compressed air and clean the sprocket, hold the nozzle back so as not to force crap past the orings. Spray on the wax top and bottom, spin the rollers, spray again, wipe the side plates off. Check the slack, check the tire pressures look for nails/screws, check the coolant, oil, transfer the cycle pump/plug kit/tools/ first aid kit to the bike of the day and clean the bugs off while looking for leaks at forks/filter/engine/oil cooler/brakes etc. Standard pre ride check, not as time consuming as it may sound after getting the system down, except for the bugs.

That way all I have to worry about is not crashing.

Awesome. I'll have to check into the rechargeable aerosole can :) I do just about what you do. I use the kersosene in a spray bottle. Then the dupont to lube. I've even made a template out of cardboard, to block the rim & wheel, while spraying the chemicals. But I do mine every 600 miles, as the manual says. Just me though. Great job! :thumbsup:

Back