Twist of the wrist

billbell

Jap is where it's at!
Donating Member
Registered
I was told that these books have some very helpful tips on cornering at speed, brake control, etc.  Has anyone read them? I am interested but have only heard of them from one person.  Any feed back would be great!  Especially since it seems so many accidents are happening.

TOTW I&II are both worthwhile. Code offers a good deal of advice for the track and on bike control. However, I found Lee Parks Book, "Total Control: High-Performance Street Riding Techniques" to be much better written and more useful over all. Also another good read is David L. Hough's books "Proficient Motorcycling" to be about the absolute best book out there when we are talking real world riding situations and strategy. Not so much a riding technique book, but more of a street survival guide. Both are really good reading where Code's books, though full of information, tend to be more track biased and are just poorly written.

My .02, Read Lee Parks Book first, then Hugh's then you can read TOTW I&II.

Wrist one is not as good as Wrist two for street riding. I highly recomend Wrist II. Rev has a point
about the writing. It is more instructional than readable. Good stuff tho. Parks book is also pretty
good. I got more from Wrist II tho. Maybe because I read & reread many times before Parks book. I
Still reread wrist II. I buy a copy for every new rider I know. Hough's books are more about mental
attitude & safety than about specific techniques. I think of Hough's books as strategic and Code/Parks
books as the tactical guides.

I read the first code book and got so pretty good information from it. Very instructional. I really had to take my time to fully understand what he was saying. I'm looking for something more readable and probably more useful for street riding. I'll trying Code 2 and the other book mentioned.

I actually was disappointed – to the extent that I did even pursue trying to get corrected what I felt was the problem.

Please keep in mind, I very seldom say negative things. I am of the school, if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say it. But being this topic was created by someone else I feel obligated to post my experience.

At others recommendation I placed an order for Twist of the Wrist. I requested the book and they sent me a DVD instead. At the time I was a little bummed because if I had wanted the DVD I would have requested the DVD. But I figured oh well, maybe the DVD will be good..

The DVD does not play worth a crap in my DVD player. It freezes both Video and Audio sometimes, other times just the Video freezes but the Audio continues.

The small portions of the video I had been able to view, I felt were minimally insightful. On the DVD they seem to hammer a point into oblivion, almost to the extent that it seemed like they were doing it for no other reason other than to just increase the length of the video.

It was so bad I was almost embarrassed to watch it with my kids there.

I have no other problems with any other DVD's I buy them and I rent them all the time. This is the only one I have a had a problem with.

So instead of having a hopefully useful book, I have (what I consider) a worthless DVD sitting in my cabinet that I feel has not been worth my time to try and send back and get replaced.

Just my two cents.

banner_Ron.jpg

II is better than I and is really useful in comparison -- he sort of got his message together with the second one. I think the DVD is kind of dated, and I agree that he sort of beats a point to death.

I like Lee Parks' High-Performance Street Riding Techniques book because he has some very down to earth, well-illustrated drills and pictorials on cornering, braking, etc. Very little hyperbole.

The remainder of the technique books -- (More) Proficient Motorcycling, the MSF books, etc. are all about staying alive in traffic -- very little about pushing your skills. Peter Eagan's Leanings is a fun read, though.

Yeah ... in my continuing quest for knowledge and understanding I'm adding (more) proficient motorcycling to my library which already includes TOT and Total Control. Thanks for the info and reviews.

DJ

i got the vhs of totw1 and the book version of 2. the video is of from the 80's.. still had helpful info..

another good one is SPORTRIDING TECHNIQUES

I think SPORT RIDING TECHNIQUES is better then "Twist of the Wrist II". It is better for the real world examples, but they are both worthwhile owning.

The video might be better if they add some music from those pRon movies of the 70's.
biggrin.gif

Good Afternoon

Ive read both, they are very good.....survival reaction.... it'll get you every time.... I highly recommend both.... have fun on the twisties:p

Go check it out from your local library, it's free!
smile.gif
Also great for building confidence and learning technique. IMO

I have both of them and I think they are both very good (second better then the first), but I think they focus too much on track, not so much "real world" riding. I found 'Sport Riding Techniques' by Nick Ienatsch to be the best I have read so far.

Back