Track Day and "NO" chicken strips

Michelin Pilot R's Great tires Sticky
wink.gif

Man, Jim... Looks like TONS of fun! Glad you didn't highside it when it slid out on ya.
wink.gif
Makes me really want to try the track someday.
beerchug.gif

Sorry Nitrous
sad.gif
 The thread sort of died before the pics were posted.  Here's a few.
wink.gif

Left hander going under the bridge and over the hill. Tricky corner.

The Carousel. No passing on the outside for us beginners.
mad.gif
tounge.gif

This is one of my favorites. I did managed to touch my knee through this turn once, but at 100 mph it's a little scary when it first happens. Fun as hell though.
cool.gif

I've got to order the CD with all of the pics, since that was the last track day the Busa will see. Here's the link.

man I LOVED that corner under that bridge but I never got around how it was wet under there. I was always backing off a bit under it
sad.gif
Have you planned any more NESBA track days at other nearby tracks yet?

I haven't planned any yet...I'm waiting until I get the track bike, and then I'll be going more often.
cool.gif

I think the key to the turn under the bridge is to be steady with the gas until you're out of it. I was getting some serious lean under there. The key is setting up early and then just carry the speed through and accellerate once you're back in the sun. Or...I just got really lucky
tounge.gif

I'm jsut not comfrotable leaning on ANY slippery surface!
smile.gif
You should try more tracks on the busa, the turns ARE a lot of fun, and if you practice with the 500 lbs pig, a 300 pounder will be SO easy!
biggrin.gif
RA had some great speed but I prefer the twister tracks for fun factor
smile.gif
BHF is near you isnt it?
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

Blackhawk, Putnam, Autobahn, and Road America all are within a few hours of me, so I'll have some choices available.

I'm looking at this bike also...maybe instead of the ZX-6R...it costs a bit more, but a lot better setup for the track, and it has all the factory wiring harness still there. Plus a clean title.

putnam10_18_03ba.jpg

Here she is in action. At least I know the "bike" can handle it...I'm not sure about the rider (me)...
laugh.gif

dsc_1599a.JPG

One day when I grow a set I'll try it!! WOW that looks like fun! Just can't bear the thought of my Busa ending up like the Kaw
wow.gif
I'm so jealous right now my eyes turned green!
biggrin.gif

Don't be jealous. Just make it a point to do a track day when "you're" ready. You can go at your own pace as long as your not stopping to sightsee. Take it easy your first few times out until you learn the track, then you can start pushing a bit harder. It's a LONG day...plenty of time to learn.
cool.gif

Were you riding in the track day, or just spectating? I was between the paddock area and the bathrooms near the top of the hill.

Where are you located in Wisconsin?
cool.gif

Glad that Ronnie is not hurt...

...but really hurts to see a goodbike all broken
sad.gif

I went to my second track day on Monday.  Back to Road America again.  I swear that track was designed with the Busa in mind.

I started out lined up in the back of the B-group (beginner) but after the first session, I realized that I wasn't that slow any more, so I started lining up towards the front of the slow lane.  There's one lane for the faster people, and one lane for the slower people, but both lanes are for the beginner group.

During the 3rd session, I went out with a Control Rider (Coach) for some one-on-one help.  I actually went out with the rest of the "fast" riders ahead of me and behind me.  The CR and I were our own group.  I followed his lines, and every lap he quicked the pace.  Believe it or not...Not one person passed us during the whole session, and we even managed to lap a few of the slower riders.  It was some of the best help I ever could have received.  This is one top notch organization known as NESBA.
cool.gif

After my one on one session, I felt much more confident and started lining up in the fast lane.  I went to the track with my wife's cousin Ronnie and his friend Jeff.  They were both riding brand new Kawasaki ZX-6R's that they were setting up as "track only" bikes.  They were also trying to get bumped up to the Intermediate level.  In the next to last session, I lined up behind them and two other riders right up in the front of the fast lane.  We were the first group out and by some miracle, I was able to stay within sight of them for the whole session and when the session was over, I was only about 5 seconds behind them.  All four of them got bumped up to Intermediate, so I felt pretty dam good about my riding abilities after that.  Not to mention I was having to throw the Busa around in order to keep up with them through all the turns.  For the last session of the day, I lined up as the number one person in the B-group, and only got passed by three other guys.  Overall it was one helluva day for me and the Busa.

I actually scrapped my toe slider a few times, and managed to "touch" my knee slider in two of the turns.  Scared me at first, but then I was screaming for joy inside my helmet.  Hope no-one actually heard me.
laugh.gif

Now for the crash story...NOT me...my cousin Ronnie and a Road America first ever event.

Ronnie had gotten bumped up to Intermediate level and got to do his last session with the faster group.  He was doing well, and while going around the Carousel" (looong RH sweeper) at about 110 mph, draggin a knee, he said that all of the sudden he realized that he was sliding along the track without his bike.  When he went into the gravel, he started doing summersaults (not by choice).  He flipped about 3-4 times before "he" came to rest.  He was fine, and then stood up looking around.  His bike, the brand new ZX-6R, was nowhere to be found.  As he and the corner worker looked around, they followed the trail of broken piece over to the tire wall and then they saw it.  The bike had slid through the gravel, a good 60 feet at least, hit the tire wall, and then flipped up and OVER the fence.  The guys said that they had NEVER had a bike on that side of the fence in the history of Road America.  When I came back to the pits after my session, I couldn't believe that I was looking at the same bike.  He and the bike were being carried back to the pits as our group had gone out.  Pictures to follow.

Sorry about being long winded, but it was just too awesome of a day not to share it with all of you.

Here's the pics:  
cool.gif

stkr00 got his official NESBA number...130
Good story Bro.
I can only hope my track session will be as awesome as yours.
I have a long wait, until mar 06 but I looking forward to it. I will post pics after after my session.

cool.gif

Someone was doing some searching
laugh.gif

Track days are a blast. As long as you leave your ego at home and just try to have fun, you'll be fine. It will humble you when you see the way the Advanced guys/gals ride.

Maybe I'll see you at the track. Which area are you in?
cool.gif

Back