Track Day and "NO" chicken strips

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
I went to my second track day on Monday. Back to Road America again. I swear that track was designed with the Busa in mind.

I started out lined up in the back of the B-group (beginner) but after the first session, I realized that I wasn't that slow any more, so I started lining up towards the front of the slow lane. There's one lane for the faster people, and one lane for the slower people, but both lanes are for the beginner group.

During the 3rd session, I went out with a Control Rider (Coach) for some one-on-one help. I actually went out with the rest of the "fast" riders ahead of me and behind me. The CR and I were our own group. I followed his lines, and every lap he quicked the pace. Believe it or not...Not one person passed us during the whole session, and we even managed to lap a few of the slower riders. It was some of the best help I ever could have received. This is one top notch organization known as NESBA.
cool.gif

After my one on one session, I felt much more confident and started lining up in the fast lane. I went to the track with my wife's cousin Ronnie and his friend Jeff. They were both riding brand new Kawasaki ZX-6R's that they were setting up as "track only" bikes. They were also trying to get bumped up to the Intermediate level. In the next to last session, I lined up behind them and two other riders right up in the front of the fast lane. We were the first group out and by some miracle, I was able to stay within sight of them for the whole session and when the session was over, I was only about 5 seconds behind them. All four of them got bumped up to Intermediate, so I felt pretty dam good about my riding abilities after that. Not to mention I was having to throw the Busa around in order to keep up with them through all the turns. For the last session of the day, I lined up as the number one person in the B-group, and only got passed by three other guys. Overall it was one helluva day for me and the Busa.

I actually scrapped my toe slider a few times, and managed to "touch" my knee slider in two of the turns. Scared me at first, but then I was screaming for joy inside my helmet. Hope no-one actually heard me.
laugh.gif

Now for the crash story...NOT me...my cousin Ronnie and a Road America first ever event.

Ronnie had gotten bumped up to Intermediate level and got to do his last session with the faster group. He was doing well, and while going around the Carousel" (looong RH sweeper) at about 110 mph, draggin a knee, he said that all of the sudden he realized that he was sliding along the track without his bike. When he went into the gravel, he started doing summersaults (not by choice). He flipped about 3-4 times before "he" came to rest. He was fine, and then stood up looking around. His bike, the brand new ZX-6R, was nowhere to be found. As he and the corner worker looked around, they followed the trail of broken piece over to the tire wall and then they saw it. The bike had slid through the gravel, a good 60 feet at least, hit the tire wall, and then flipped up and OVER the fence. The guys said that they had NEVER had a bike on that side of the fence in the history of Road America. When I came back to the pits after my session, I couldn't believe that I was looking at the same bike. He and the bike were being carried back to the pits as our group had gone out. Pictures to follow.

Sorry about being long winded, but it was just too awesome of a day not to share it with all of you.

Here's the pics:
cool.gif

stkr00 got his official NESBA number...130

Road_America_5_30_05_009.jpg

cool.gif

Here's the pair of ZX-6R's...all shiney and new...For now anyway.

I gotta say though...that red (Orange) os a nice color in the sun. Ronnie on the Left, and Jeff on the Right.

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117635973 -->

Road_America_5_30_05_004.jpg

Here's my new chicken strips on my new BT56. Well, actually it's a pic of my non-existent chicken strips.
beerchug.gif

Right side:

Road_America_5_30_05_017sm.jpg

Now the left side. Road America is a mostly Right hand track, so getting the left side took some work.

Road_America_5_30_05_025sm.jpg

After...........
wow.gif
(sorry for the blurry pic...I had just gotten off my bike)

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117636313 -->

Road_America_5_30_05_014.jpg

More detail...

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117636500 -->

Road_America_5_30_05_013.jpg

Checking for ANY salvageable parts........not many.

Road_America_5_30_05_012.jpg

FUNNY, the slider in the pics above looks to be in mint condition.
rock.gif

Ronnie showing off his new "I" sticker that is now ripped in half during the crash. He took it pretty well and was only bummed out that he couldn't sell his factory plastics now to help pay for the race plastics.

Road_America_5_30_05_015.jpg

BTW.....

I did find out what it feels like when the BT56's break loose. I was coming out of the last turn setting up to pass some lapped riders and when I went to "roll" on the throttle, I guess I "rolled" too dam much. The back end fishtailed out to the left while I was still leaned over, and somehow I managed to roll off the throttle just enough to let it grip without causing a high-side. I was so friggin lucky. Once I realized I was still upright and okay, I nailed it and continued the pass I intended in the first place.

When I got back to the pits, I had to pull the seat out of my ass. There was some serious pucker factor during that fishtail.
wow.gif

Oh yeah...I'm done with the pictures for now. I'll post the Pro Photographer's link up in a new thread when they get them uploaded to the website. They may even have some of Ronnie's crash.

Here's a video of what it looks like riding Road America. It is a 4.2 mile road course with 3 straight that allow for WFO.
biggrin.gif

Make sure you right click on the video and view it Full Screen

Road America Video

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117637467 -->

Man, that looks like a lot of fun! Congrats on making it through, + glad your friend is in one piece!

This is to WWJD:

Thanks for getting me hooked on the track. It's more fun than I've had in a long dam time.
beerchug.gif

...and on the other thing...I haven't forgotten, and YES we will get it to you soon. I know what you said, but we're still gonna do it. With everything that's been going on, it's been hectic here.

Wish you could have joined us Greg. It would have been a blast.
cool.gif

Back