Tough NC LEO's

Should people run? No, they shouldn't. But no matter the crime, be it speeding or mass murder with a Sherman tank, a police officer has absolutely no right to "punish" the suspect. Our laws don't work that way. Our justice system is just that, a system, and the police officers have a roll in that system, that roll just doesn't include anything past the point of apprehending the bad guy and reporting on what happened. Judges, lawyers, and jury's are responsible for deciding punishment.

All stories accounted for, I have another...

I am a technician in a manufacturing environment. We have many expensive machines that are designed to produce good parts and never break down. This is not always the case...occasionally, we may have an equipment failure...this is of course, unacceptable. I typically work the problem as fast as possible to correct the issue. Although I have thought it may help if I jump in a golf cart and tried a "pit-manuever" of the machine with a severe beatdown using a five pound sledge...it's not neccesary to correct the issue.

Can't say that agree with the tones above that say "if you run, expect to have a Captain Insano piled driver initiated on your azz". If you break the law, I agree you should naturally expect to pay a fine, points, etc - depending on the infraction...but I can't agree that LEO's should tackle you off the bike and dog-pile you. Several cases above show the LEO got the wrong guy...!

The LEO's job is to enforce laws...understood. That is of course dependant on the fact that people will have to break laws for them to have work. Hence, no need to be a d*ck for doing your job. I do mine without attitude, destruction, violence, etc...and do quite well. Working calmy is working smartly.

As for "not making enough for what they do"...that was their choice. A 4 second search will reveal LEO paygrades...nobody went out and recruited them with false promises of richs. These guys were offered a job for amount $XX,XXX to enforce laws. They agreed to take the job and do what was asked in exchange for the pay offered.

I work on equipment...I knew what I would be paid to work on equipment when I took the job. If I later decide that I deserve more money for doing the exact same job I agreed to do for an agreed rate, and that I can be a destructive employee, with an unneccessary attitude and have people feel sorry for "the service I do for so little money" ??? No one lied to these guys to get them on-board. They knew what the pay was about...if it's not enough a month in the job...it proves what their true motivation was to begin with. That it may be fun to harrass people and break the laws you are suppose to enforce...but you gave up financial security for your "power". I'm not a "hero" because I can fix equipment...in-turn, I don't see these guys as "hero's" for risking whatever. If I run, I can crash and die...true. If they take a job as a LEO, their job could also take their life. It's a decision they make...and I don't see how they're a hero for that decision. You do a job...you get paid...hurting and taking advantage of people...they throw in for free.

The most speeding I do on my Busa...tailing cops on my way to work and home from work. They have a station midway between home and work for me and I CONSTANTLY get passed by cops flying into work...late. I usually kick down a gear and fall in behind them. We've hit triple digits on the way, who-knows how many times...of course they change lanes with no signals, no sirens, no lights... If we were doing the exact same speed, only with me in front, I deserve to be tackled off my bike?

I'm cool with lying in the bed you make...but who police's the police???

I can't imagine that LEO's would not have GPS tracking on their car... If my $89 Garmin can throw up the speed limit for the exact section of road my car is occupying, I'm sure it would easily be possible to track the LEO's "for their safety". They break the speed limit - unjustified = ticket like the rest of us. If we all knew they were subjected to the same laws as the rest of us...I would gladly stop for them every time. The fact that I may/will get tickets, bodily injury, property damage for doing exactly what they do anytime it's conveinent...makes it tough to see them as "Defenders of the Law", that I should respect.

We have an operator at work, her husband is a State Trooper...we usually get stories about once a month from her that her ON-DUTY husband, goes to their house, picks her up...then runs 130mph down the interstate to bring her to the plant...because "she likes it when he drives fast". My taxes pay for that gas, those tires, wear and tear on that cruiser...and he has to pull people over for doing half the crap he's pulling so that the system can pay him for his hard, dangerous work...

Last edited:
Tough job being a cop. I have a lot of respect for them. Dealing with the ppl you do on a daily basis is hard. Thank God we have ppl willing to put their life on the line for what little pay they get.....
Its like poker....you remember the bad hands but not the good ones. Kinda like remembering the cop who flys by you but not the other 50 times they haven't.
I wish sometimes that those who complain about the roughness of cops could put a badge on and 'try' to do the job for a year in a high crime area like LA or DC........

Last edited:
i have had several run ins with Nc state city and county officers, and it all depends on the man behind the badge how they act. i have seen real no nonsense jerks and cops that said ill be in court and drop the ticket for you.... now if i ever have to talk to a leo and they are acting like a jerk i try and just think maybe his boss is being a d**k or wifey issues or kids being pain and that i am just part of the job to him not just a rock in his shoe.......

I wish sometimes that those who complain about the roughness of cops could put a badge on and 'try' to do the job for a year in a high crime area like LA or DC........

A wife beater could say the same thing. "you try living with my wife for a year and see what you think"... Does that mean he should have the right to give her a "tune up" because he feels like it?

If a guy shoots his neighbor, I doubt highly that a judge would let him walk just because he was having a bad day that day.

You can turn anything around.
All I was trying to point out is that when they pull someone over they have no idea what is in store for them. Does he have a sawed of shotgun pointed at me behind that tinted glass? Is there a pistol pointed at me? Is this the day some punk will end my life? No idea....
Ever get into a fight? Got the adrenaline flowing after the fight right?
Just finished a high speed persuit.....got the guy pulled over.... he runs....you start a foot chase, finally tackle him......he resists.........now what.....hit him and leave a bruise and you very well could have set your self up for a police brutality suit....you have no idea what the guy might have on him either....a gun,a kinfe.......
Just saying the stress with the job can be brutal.......If someone runs and the cop is a little rough with him, I can over look that.
We have become such a soft society today. Think the cops of yesteryear wore kid gloves.......
Is it right....no... but a lot of things aren't right.

You can turn anything around.
All I was trying to point out is that when they pull someone over they have no idea what is in store for them. Does he have a sawed of shotgun pointed at me behind that tinted glass? Is there a pistol pointed at me? Is this the day some punk will end my life? No idea....
Ever get into a fight? Got the adrenaline flowing after the fight right?
Just finished a high speed persuit.....got the guy pulled over.... he runs....you start a foot chase, finally tackle him......he resists.........now what.....hit him and leave a bruise and you very well could have set your self up for a police brutality suit....you have no idea what the guy might have on him either....a gun,a kinfe.......
Just saying the stress with the job can be brutal.......If someone runs and the cop is a little rough with him, I can over look that.
We have become such a soft society today. Think the cops of yesteryear wore kid gloves.......
Is it right....no... but a lot of things aren't right.

Considering the context of this particular discussion, I doubt very seriously if the biker getting tackled off the bike had an arsenal of shotguns. If they don't like the job, or can't handle it... They can quit and do something else, it's still a free country at this point.

The problem with overlooking things is that there must be a line, where is that line? What are we willing to overlook? That line must be clear, and it is, they aren't allowed to do the things you suggest. If they do, they can be charged. Their roll in the justice system is well defined, and it doesn't include roughing people up. After the list of offenses is presented to the judge, then the appropriate punishment is disbursed. If you think officers should be able to exercise their loss of personal control more freely, write your congressman and try to get the laws amended to include that power. Until then, right or wrong, it is illegal for them to conduct themselves in such a way.

Back