Toluene

scrappy

Registered
Any one ever use Toluene to increase the octane levels in the fuel?

I am trying to find 93+ octane fuel in Phoenix and all the gas stations in this f*ing place sell 91 or lower.

I could go to the local $h!t hole bike shops and get 5 gallons of 110 race fuel for $100 but F that. I know Phoenix International Raceway sells high octane fuels there (i think its leaded also), but agin F that, its too much of a drive for me to get 10 gallons at a time...

If any one has used toluene for octane boosting, how well did it work and did any of your seals or gaskets get ruined? I know this stuff is corrosive to plastics and rubber materials so im leery of putting it my tank..

I have not but that does not mean that others haven't used it...I don't think that it is a good idea though...one other small point is that if you do get race fuel such as VP or other brands if it sits around for awhile it can take in water / evaporate some of the original fuel..so if you go to buy it at a shop that has cans that look old you might want to pass on it.

Not knowing what your engine combo is, fuel choice is somewhat of a learning curve or rely on help from people that have a combo similar to what you have. I have a turbo and I put in way to much race fuel (c23) it would have been good in a car with a nos kit, but in my bike the result looked like it was huffing oil out the dump pipes...it was unburned fuel and a relief when it cleared up after flushing the fuel system.

There are some additives that people use and another option is ask guys racing bikes at the track if you can get some fuel from them...enough for the day or hook up with them to get a 5 gal for yourself.

I've used it many years ago (dang close to 30 years ago now) It is the most common additive in octane booster you buy. However, you would have to mix it around 10%-15 to raise the gasoline from 91 to 93 octane. What it does to the A/F ratio at the level, I don't know.

You should be able to located unleaded racing fuel in your area. Something like Sunoco 260 GT +. Mix it 50-50 with your pump gas and you should be able to avoid any tuning issues.

I know we have race gas around here, its just extremely expensive.. I am either gonna have to get an octane booster or a second job.:laugh:

I am installing a stage 4 turbo Kit from HRC. The owners manual calls for 93+ Octane. I want to prevent detonation so running a higher octane might be necessary. Since all the pumps around here sell 91 or lower, i need to do a mix of either race fuel/ pump gass or an off the shelf octane booster or another product, such as toluene.

p.s gen 1 busa...

just the parts that come with the kit. like upgraded fuel rail, the turbo size, the exhaust setup, other odds and ends.

Hey mega
It's just their way of justifying the over priced parts for no large gains in performance
For those that don't like what I just said sorry but that's the truth
There is really only stage 1,2 then race setups and additional parts but not truly stages

I was in the same boat as all we have over here(SoCal)is crappy 91.Was going to go the Toluene route but seemed to be fairly expensive also so ended up buying a couple of 5 gal. cans of Sunoco 100 unleaded(with taxes ended up being about $10 per gal.)and a couple of 5 gal. quik fill jugs.Just to play it safe(already melted some pistons once with 91)i've been mixing it 50/50 with 91 for a 95.5 octane rating.Next time around i may cut it back a little since 95.5 for general street ridin' is probably a little overkill.

How long does a container of race fuel last? Once open doesn't it have a shelf life?

Pinky, thx. That is kinda what I thought but was not really sure.

However, it would be cool to say I have a stage IV bike.

How long does a container of race fuel last? Once open doesn't it have a shelf life?

Pinky, thx. That is kinda what I thought but was not really sure.

However, it would be cool to say I have a stage IV bike.

It depends on what race fuel you are talking about. And also how it is stored.

Hey mega
It's just their way of justifying the over priced parts for no large gains in performance
For those that don't like what I just said sorry but that's the truth
There is really only stage 1,2 then race setups and additional parts but not truly stages

I bet you're right Pinky, i asked HRC what the difference was and they couldn't give me a good answer either. I saw what parts i wanted to try out and see if it met my performance needs, so it could say Stage 1 or Stage 85, i really don't care as long as i have what i think will suit my needs. Plus their kits were more in my price range than RCC (which would have been my first choice... the ultra kit!)

Back