To the people who own Harley's... Is it as good as they say?

i would not mind having a hardley if they cut the prices to half!:laugh:
overpriced is the reason i will never own one.
my friend just bought a preowned hardley with all bells and whistles and it is a 2003 with 12000 miles on it and he told me he got a good deal and asked me how much you think he paid for it and i said about 9k, he looked at me and said "what"? i said how much he replied 14500.00 and he said "IT IS A HARDLEY":laugh::laugh:
You know HD prices are not so far out of line now days... find comparable "cruisers" and do some price matching..

I owned a 2000 Fatboy and it was just o.k......I now own a Yamaha Star Stratoliner, what a difference. 1854 cc (113 ci) very comfy and runs like a bat out of hell. In addition, the quality is second to none, everything on this bike is finished like a jewel. The HD looked like a farm tractor in comparison. I am always meeting HD owners and one thing I notice, if I am standing near the bike, they will not approach. The minute I leave, they are all over it, and spend a lot of time looking. It is the little boy in them that will not let them associate with someone with a better toy.........

Ron

That's right... they flooded the market and now they are a dime a dozen...

Ive noticed this as well. Used Harley prices are plummeting. I seen a 2006 Street bob for sale for 8500. And a 2001 Low rider for sale for 8900. A few years ago these bikes would have sold for 5 or 6 grand more.

The market is so flooded, I think If Harley wants to ever recapture the market like they had for a long time, they will have to come out with something that actually produces great power, great braking and great suspension!

The market is so flooded, I think If Harley wants to ever recapture the market like they had for a long time, they will have to come out with something that actually produces great power, great braking and great suspension!

Braking... thats one thing thats really bugged me about Harley. WHY does a 700+ pound bike only have ONE front disk? When I took that Street Bob around the block its braking ability or lack-there-of was the first thing I noticed. Especially on a bike that costs what it does.

My Harley is like a Lazy Boy on wheels.... AND NOTHING sounds like one! But, when I'm looking to lay some rubber down I saddle up one of the Busas. Cause lets face it as said above each has its own place and time. As to price I would disagree on "over priced", actually since Harley has over 60% of the world market on new bike sales one would assume they are priced just right. Re-sale is a lot higher but so is the initial purchase price.. When it comes to accessories NO ONE comes close! HD has got this covered by miles. I'd suffice to say that only Honda (Goldwing) comes anywhere near this mark. So, in the end to each his/her own, I was a HD basher for years and had to eat a lot of crow two years ago.. :poke:

Funny story. I rode a Jap. cruiser for awhile, and wanted to hook up with some folks with my ethnic back ground (Korean....South for sho). I found a Korean riding group, and they happend to be H.O.G. With the excitment ( I never rode with Korean riders before ) I ask them If I could join their ride. They looked me up and down, sizing me up. They asked me what I ride. I told them. Boy, you should have looked at their expression. How dare me!!! I decided to pursue this, just because I wanted to see how far I can push this issue with H.O.G. The leader of the group insists that I should be welcomed when I get my Harley, but not until then. No way. No chance. The reason? He proudly said, "Harleys are more than bikes, it's about the culture."

Now, it got me thinking. If the culture of Harley riders proudly excludes non Harley riders, what kind of close minded attitude is that? And that kind of close minded, arrogant brand specific attitude still represent biker "culture"?
I think not. shortly after, I crashed my Jap. cruiser. (all my fault) My next bike was 07 Hayabusa. While recovering from the Jap. cruiser crash, I drooled over a few bikes. And finally decided to get the Busa. Meantime, thought of owning a harley never crossed my mind. the "culture" of H.O.G. totally turn me off.

if you are traveling across the country you can find a harley shop anywhere. easily. and if your harley breaks down there is a pretty good chance the shop will have what you need in the store.

if you are traveling across the country you can find a harley shop anywhere. easily. and if your harley breaks down there is a pretty good chance the shop will have what you need in the store.

+1 Ill give you that! Try to find sportbike parts in store.

I like the crossbones HD too. It fits me. With my big frame, the forward controls are actually forward.

Yeah what Mr. Biscuit said. Not a level playinf field. I have to listen to the Harley guys I work with spout that junk all the time. But they shut up real quick when I say ok lets line them up now. I'm not running against that Bussy..( their name for the almighty Busa)...Oy vey, what cha gonna do? I have nothing against Harleys though, hey as long as you're riding and you're in the rear mirrors...ok

Funny story. I rode a Jap. cruiser for awhile, and wanted to hook up with some folks with my ethnic back ground (Korean....South for sho). I found a Korean riding group, and they happend to be H.O.G. With the excitment ( I never rode with Korean riders before ) I ask them If I could join their ride. They looked me up and down, sizing me up. They asked me what I ride. I told them. Boy, you should have looked at their expression. How dare me!!! I decided to pursue this, just because I wanted to see how far I can push this issue with H.O.G. The leader of the group insists that I should be welcomed when I get my Harley, but not until then. No way. No chance. The reason? He proudly said, "Harleys are more than bikes, it's about the culture."

Now, it got me thinking. If the culture of Harley riders proudly excludes non Harley riders, what kind of close minded attitude is that? And that kind of close minded, arrogant brand specific attitude still represent biker "culture"?
I think not. shortly after, I crashed my Jap. cruiser. (all my fault) My next bike was 07 Hayabusa. While recovering from the Jap. cruiser crash, I drooled over a few bikes. And finally decided to get the Busa. Meantime, thought of owning a harley never crossed my mind. the "culture" of H.O.G. totally turn me off.

Glad you found the Hayabusa Owners Group(HOG). We dont discriminate, poke good fun, but never discriminate.

post-12-75011-random_013.jpg

Last edited:
I have owned three Harleys over the years. I enjoyed them when I owned them. But, I have never loved a bike like I love my K8 Busa and I have never enjoyed riding as much as I enjoy it now. I just can't wait for my next ride.

I own a 2003 Road King. It has 45,000 miles on it, and has been mostly a good bike. The wife loves it, and we ride on that together. She has no interest in the Hayabusa, or the Goldwing I ride back and forth to work (120 miles a day). It's my first Harley, and most likely the last. The Buse is for a strictly different kind of riding, and no Harley will ever scratch that itch................:thumbsup:

Harley.jpg

Harley builds the worst friggen V-Twin PERIOD. :banghead:

M109...kicks it's arse
Victory...kicks it's arse
Star...kicks it's arse
Kawi...kicks it's arse
etc. you get the idea...and these aren't just little kicks...they kick the harleys by A LOT.

Not to mention, the under powered under engineered harley is the most expensive.

Take my word for it...I do the demos at the Daytona speedway twice a year, every year for days at a time. I ride them all and a lot.

Ride a harley and then ride the above listed BEFORE YOU BUY.

Buy a Harley...your paying for the image...whoop de do.
The image I see of a harley rider is...well, never mind...don't want offend
but lets just say it's not very complimentary.
I want something that moves me when I twist my wrist.
A v-twin with some ballz should pull a stump out of the ground.

Here's an example...I was in line at the harley demo ride and this one guy was raving how he the screaming eagle (which the whole "performance" screaming eagle thing is just to funny to begin with :lol:) electra touring something or other and how he paid $35,000 for it and it has just about every accessory that was in the hog catalog standard..."why, it even has a hydraulic clutch"...
And I'm thinking "WOW :bowdown:...a hydraulic clutch...my 1983 $3,000 Honda Magna had a hydraulic clutch and that 25 years ago...wtf

Drag those underpowered overpriced pieces of chrome out of the stone age.
and at least pretend to try to keep up with the rest of the pack

o.k. I'm done (rant off)

One last thought....why do you think the harley are all parked...out side bars, wing houses, etc...because they aren't that great to RIDE. :whistle:

Pretty hefty price tag for nothing more than "The Look". That's all they've got. Like it has been said check out their advertising. They really sell the "image". Same thing if you go to a dealership, they stroke the hell out of your ego. It's so you'll throw out your common sense and make the manly choice. Alot of female sales people at HD and they will work you like a 30 dollar Ho'.

I think the most telling thing is the huge number of bikes for sale that barely have any miles on them. Check the for sales it's incredible. They do hold their value though.

I like the look, sound and all that but don't like the ride and they are way over priced. For the money a Victory is a far better deal. I've read the HD forums and even the Faithful bash the new ones with the six speed tranny. 1st is too high, problems with 5th gear clunking/surges and they overheat.

Not for me for many reasons. I've never been one to conform to others logic of what is nice and what isn't. I will ride what I WANT to ride, not what someone else thinks I would be happy with.

If someone was to give me one I would take it, but if I was going to spend that kind of money there are many other bikes I would rather have.

I don't mind having a Rocker in the garage. I don't really care about brands, and I will always wear a full face even on a Harley.lol.

I don't mind having a Rocker in the garage. I don't really care about brands, and I will always wear a full face even on a Harley.lol.

I thought a rocker was susposed to be on the front porch or perhaps in front of the TV? I kid I kid!

So how do you like it? Got pics?

Back