We're the As*holes

eynlai

Registered
Okay, so I'm riding home from the office today, 134 fwy to the 210 fwy, exit Rosemead South.  Coming up on usual rush hour traffic.  This chick in a older pathfinder change lanes, so I'm about to catch up and pass her on the lane she just changed from.  Then without warning (flashing) she changed back right in front of me because she decided that the lane she just changed into was too slow for her taste.  So I did a sudden slow and I honked at her, as I passed her, she's yelling at ME from behind closed windows.  

So this got me thinking... I guess were the as*holes when cagers do a double change of lanes without signaling right in front of us and nearly into us.  

We're the as*holes when cagers are talking on their phones and swerve into us.

We're the as*holes when cagers close gap on us while we're splitting lanes in CA.

We're the as*holes because we're on space-saving and fuel-saving bikes and we can move in CA when cagers can't in traffic.

We're just As*holes because we're on bikes.

I was talking to Busahaya the other day on the phone and we talked about someone asking in a reply "why don't cagers pay attention".  And my reasoning is that they don't have to because their in their cages.  I made the observation that the larger the cage (SUVs), the less attention they pay.

And if all of the population of cagers rode bikes the way they drive cages, then at least half of them would be dead or injured from their negligence, lack of attentiveness, inconsideration, and stupidity on the road.  And I would applaud that and say, 'Good riddence'.

Some of you in non-legal lane splitting states think that it's crazy for us CA riders to split lanes.  I feel that it's crazy NOT to split lanes.  I rather take my chances doing a lane split into a clearing than to get caught in a pack of traffic like a guppy in a can of sardines.  If something happens, where do I go!?!?

2 perspectives that I got from cagers:

#1. from a co-worker in AZ while I was there for business.  When I told him that it's legal to split lanes in CA, he voiced that it's wrong and that only cops should be able to do it.  When I asked 'Why?', he thought for a moment then responded with, "If we [cagers] have to sit in traffic, then bikers should have to also."

#2.  From a co-worker in CA, when I just asked why do cagers feel the need to race up to a biker when they see one passing, her response was, "Just seeing a bike, especially a race bike go by just makes you want to go fast."

Just thought I share my thoughts with you all and to remind you that even thought cagers are not perfect... compared to us...  We're the AS*HOLEs...  At least I am.

By the way X 2:  I'm about to hit 20,000 miles since I first got my busa last year in March and I'm still on my OEM front brake pads.  And I have been mainly stopping/slowing with them.  If they're not suppose to last that long I guess I'm not using my brakes much when I split lanes.

And I finally got resolution on my Hit N' Run case from 7/7/05.  Look for that in my other new post, "Hit N' Run case finally resolved".

<!--EDIT|eynlai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128655924 -->

I was talking to Busahaya the other day on the phone
while driving??  
wow.gif

< stands up > ... I am "proud" to be an .. ( ####### ) ... ty s vm .. < sits down > ..... specialy on a ... " busa "
laugh.gif

ok on the lane splitting thing, you got side swipped while normal ridding(very lucky you didnt go down) what would have happened if you were splitting lanes when the cager decided to all of a sudden change lanes? I live in Vegas and traffic gets bad here especially on weekends. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of times I just want to go right between all the cars in gridlock, but how many bikes have gone down due to lane splitting and some dumbazz cager decides to switch lanes w/o looking just beause the lane next to them is moving one car faster?

ok on the lane splitting thing, you got side swipped while normal ridding(very lucky you didnt go down) what would have happened if you were splitting lanes when the cager decided to all of a sudden change lanes? I live in Vegas and traffic gets bad here especially on weekends. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of times I just want to go right between all the cars in gridlock, but how many bikes have gone down due to lane splitting and some dumbazz cager decides to switch lanes w/o looking just beause the lane next to them is moving one car faster?
as a regular lane splitter... And BusaHaya would probably atest to that about me. I can offer pointers:

#1. Don't go too fast as to cut down on your reaction time to sudden cagers that want to change lane. So even IF it does happen that you are that unfortunate, then at that slow speed, your damage and injuries should be minimal.

#2. Constantly Scan & Anticipate. During traffic congestion, a cager that wants to change lane usually won't do it all of a sudden, the lane he/she want to change into is probably congested as much as the lane they are trying to leave, maybe moving just a little bit more. Thus they can't just wipe out into that lane. The more considerate ones would signal with their flashers, or throw a hand out the window. Even the less considerate ones without signaling will give some sort of indication like edging closer to the line to get ready to change. You would have to be prepared to either stop or pass him with a little more speed. Which to do? Well that depends: If there's a openning that you can see that that cager can potentially change into, then get ready to stop because likely he/she will go for it. If there's not a obvious openning then pass him/her.... But watch out for that narrowed gap. You may clip your mirrors, if so, then let it clip. Mirrors are a lot cheaper to replace than fairings because you lost balance due to panic and bounced like a pinball between cages.

#3. LET THEM KNOW YOU'RE COMING: Some bikes like to downshift and bounce their RPM with the clutch just to make a lot of engine noise just so the cagers can hear them coming. This could work if the cager isn't bumping his/her favorite tunes or have a well insolated car and it's either really hot or really cold. Another alternative (which I prefer) is ride with your highbeams on, and raise it if you have to so as to make sure it will hit the side view mirror of most cages. Of coarse, you can put aftermarket cans and use a combination of both the lights and sound.

#4. Read MINDS and LOOK AHEAD OF TIME: Sounds funny, but after that 20,000 miles in L.A., Orange County, San Diego, and Ventura since March. I truly believe that I somewhat managed to read what other people will do right before they do it and look slightly into the future. It might be a refined sensory thing for bikers. I believe I'm still trying to perfect mine. But you kind of just "feel" it. If you took the MSF coarse, remember they taught you to "look ahead"? At first, and I'm sure, they are talking distance-wise. But now, I'm think it's more applicable in a time-wise way. Even if you can see .001 second ahead, then it's to your advantage and you can react to save yourself.

#5. STEREOTYPE THE CAGES: Sad to say, but do it. It ties into #2 and #4. You know what kind of cages old people usually drive. We know about the SUVs. But make sure you watch out for the following too:

* Blinged out SUVs with shiny rims. These are usually younger, flashy, their ego is more important than your life drivers. Given the chance they will try to race you;

* Beat up cars, usually older ones. They don't care that much about their cars, and they usually don't care that much more about themselves. So why should they care about anyone else?;

* Damaged vehicles: These are rolling testimonies that whoever driving these are bad drivers, and some fall within that Beat up Car category;

* VOLVOs: Usually people buy and drive Volvos know that these are the sturdiest vehicles on the road, maybe even more so than SUVs. And they buy/drive them because they KNOW they're bad drivers and are accident prone.:

* "World's Greatest Mom" / "Soccer Mom" / "My Child is a honor..." sticker vehicles. They're usually SUVs or mini-vans. Usually loaded with kids, or driven by a angry mom that just dropped off / about to pick up a load of kids. Soccer Moms are usually one of the meanest, most malice drivers on the road, especially when stuck in traffic and they see a bike splitting lanes;

* Raced out cars. Whether it be Hondas with the fart cans for exhaust with a bunch of chinese character sticker that they don't know what it means, or your Trans AM / Mustang with the Air-Scope... These are usually testerone drivers that will race recklessly just to satisfy their ego that they "beat a bike" and can brag to their friends about it. They will swerve, cut-off, run off to the shoulder (yes, I've seen it) just to win the "race" to serve their egos.

Of coarse, that's just my 2 cents. And I was just back from Vegas with my GF in her car... I saw some bikes, and I do feel sorry for you out there.

as a regular lane splitter... And BusaHaya would probably atest to that about me.  I can offer  pointers:

#1.  Don't go too fast as to cut down on your reaction time to sudden cagers that want to change lane.  So even IF it does happen that you are that unfortunate, then at that slow speed, your damage and injuries should be minimal.

#2.  Constantly Scan & Anticipate.  During traffic congestion, a cager that wants to change lane usually won't do it all of a sudden, the lane he/she want to change into is probably congested as much as the lane they are trying to leave, maybe moving just a little bit more.  Thus they can't just wipe out into that lane.  The more considerate ones would signal with their flashers, or throw a hand out the window.  Even the less considerate ones without signaling will give some sort of indication like edging closer to the line to get ready to change.  You would have to be prepared to either stop or pass him with a little more speed.  Which to do?  Well that depends:  If there's a openning that you can see that that cager can potentially change into, then get ready to stop because likely he/she will go for it.  If there's not a obvious openning then pass him/her.... But watch out for that narrowed gap.  You may clip your mirrors, if so, then let it clip.  Mirrors are a lot cheaper to replace than fairings because you lost balance due to panic and bounced like a pinball between cages.

#3.  LET THEM KNOW YOU'RE COMING:  Some bikes like to downshift and bounce their RPM with the clutch just to make a lot of engine noise just so the cagers can hear them coming.  This could work if the cager isn't bumping his/her favorite tunes or have  a well insolated car and it's either really hot or really cold.  Another alternative (which I prefer) is ride with your highbeams on, and raise it if you have to so as to make sure it will hit the side view mirror of most cages.  Of coarse, you can put aftermarket cans and use a combination of both the lights and sound.

#4.  Read MINDS and LOOK AHEAD OF TIME:  Sounds funny, but after that 20,000 miles in L.A., Orange County, San Diego, and Ventura since March.  I truly believe that I somewhat managed to read what other people will do right before they do it and look slightly into the future.  It might be a refined sensory thing for bikers.  I believe I'm still trying to perfect mine.  But you kind of just "feel" it.  If you took the MSF coarse, remember they taught you to "look ahead"?  At first, and I'm sure, they are talking distance-wise.  But now, I'm think it's more applicable in a time-wise way.  Even if you can see .001 second ahead, then it's to your advantage and you can react to save yourself.

#5.  STEREOTYPE THE CAGES:  Sad to say, but do it.  It ties into #2 and #4.  You know what kind of cages old people usually drive.  We know about the SUVs.  But make sure you watch out for the following too:  

*  Blinged out SUVs with shiny rims.  These are usually younger, flashy, their ego is more important than your life drivers.  Given the chance they will try to race you;  

*  Beat up cars, usually older ones.  They don't care that much about their cars, and they usually don't care that much more about themselves.  So why should they care about anyone else?;  

*  Damaged vehicles:  These are rolling testimonies that whoever driving these are bad drivers, and some fall within that Beat up Car category;  

*  VOLVOs:  Usually people buy and drive Volvos know that these are the sturdiest vehicles on the road, maybe even more so than SUVs.  And they buy/drive them because they KNOW they're bad drivers and are accident prone.:  

*  "World's Greatest Mom" / "Soccer Mom" / "My Child is a honor..." sticker vehicles.  They're usually SUVs or mini-vans.  Usually loaded with kids, or driven by a angry mom that just dropped off / about to pick up a load of kids.  Soccer Moms are usually one of the meanest, most malice drivers on the road, especially when stuck in traffic and they see a bike splitting lanes;  

*  Raced out cars.  Whether it be Hondas with the fart cans for exhaust with a bunch of chinese character sticker that they don't know what it means, or your Trans AM / Mustang with the Air-Scope... These are usually testerone drivers that will race recklessly just to satisfy their ego that they "beat a bike" and can brag to their friends about it.  They will swerve, cut-off, run off to the shoulder (yes, I've seen it) just to win the "race" to serve their egos.

Of coarse, that's just my 2 cents.   And I was just back from Vegas with my GF in her car... I saw some bikes, and I do feel sorry for you out there.
Completely agree. Trouble is, when you're on a bike, you only have one thing to think about - riding the bike.

Cagers have loads of things to distract themselves with.

Also,I think the fact we appear in their mirrors a lot sooner than they would expect they don't react well. Cagers are all still muppets though and must pay more attention to their surroundings.
smile.gif

I drive big trucks for the power company with flashing lights and reflective tape and paint all over them. I get cut off by little honda's and toyota's all day. Sometimes if you don't lock up the breaks you would run right thru them. If they don't care about that, do you think they are going to give your bike a break?

There was a good article in last (this?) month's Cycle World about getting blasted from behind and how lane-splitting, permitted in CA, probably saves lives. Having a bike for the last 3-1/2 years (and a Hayabusa since Saturday!) has made me a more attentive and focused driver.

I agree with Eynlai. Being another Socal rider and victim of cager negligence, you have to split lanes to avoid being rear ended and sandwiched into the car in front of you. You have to be smarter and more attentive that everyone around you. It's a game of survival no matter what you ride here in SoCal. When you lane split, you cant be stupid about it either and ride faster than the 10-15mph flow of traffic. I know many squids who split while riding 70-80 mph between traffic thats traveling 50mph already. Some of them do wheelies. I hate it b/c this is the type of people that will make us lose our splitting priveliages.

I drive big trucks for the power company with flashing lights and reflective tape and paint all over them. I get cut off by little honda's and toyota's all day. Sometimes if you don't lock up the breaks you would run right thru them. If they don't care about that, do you think they are going to give your bike a break?
Exactly the last bullet listing of stereotyping cages on my list.

There was a good article in last (this?) month's Cycle World about getting blasted from behind and how lane-splitting, permitted in CA, probably saves lives.  Having a bike for the last 3-1/2 years (and a Hayabusa since Saturday!) has made me a more attentive and focused driver.
Havn't seen the article yet. But it might be a good article to present to the Federal Highway Safety Commission if such a petition is drawn up. Maybe Cycle World would step in to give a expert opinion to the FHSC?

I ride in LA everyday-
When I see the little Mercedes SUV is a race away from it because between the cell phone, the coffee and the makeup application it's pretty much an axccident waiting to happen.

Back