To Bore Or Not To Bore?

busa_boy_69

Registered
Okay guys first off don't lynch me for asking this because I know every year there are rumors of a new Busa but this is a legit question. I need advice.

Cosmetically my 15 is done other than the swingarm which Im getting in the next few weeks. However this winter my plan was to bore it out. Bore the heads, new cams, new pistons, rods springs.....the works. Was gonna make it 1441ccs. Heres my dilemma.

I dont wanna sink 4 grand into doing this and then next year a new crazy gen 3 comes out. Id rather soup up the new motor. However i been riding these things for 15 years now. Id like a little more power. I feel Suzuki is getting ready to make a move. The gen 1 ran from 99 to 07 which is 8 years. Its a little over 8 years now since the gen 2 debuted. My gut tells me something is coming.

Basically Im asking if you guys were in my shoes what would YOU do?

BB69

Had thought about the same things myself and if I were to do something now would just go with a ported head and cams(which a top builder recommended and said really wakes up the Gen II's without the sometimes issues of running hot,running dual batteries because of starting issues when hot,etc.).Could always go up to 1441 later if you thought you needed more,though the stock rods should still be fine.

If I thought Suz was going to do a Gen-3 I'd expect a 1441 with less cam and head than you would build, so your Gen-2 1441 would be ahead of a Gen-3 already. If you bought a Gen-3 (lots more $$) would you be ready to spend thousands of dollars to improve it slightly with better cams, springs, and head to be as good as a built Gen-2? Probably not for the little gain, and I don't feel like there would be a streetable (durable, long life, high reliability) 1550 cc upgrade ready to go for a Gen-3 right away. So the dilemma would really be do you even want to buy a Gen-3 then try to figure out what to do with it? Maybe they will come out with something killer and I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised.

First year anything can be good, or bad.
Never know what gremlins crawl in at the factory. And if they do, it takes at least a year to get rid of them.
It's also going to take the aftermarket time to catch up. There aren't going to be alot of options for aftermarket parts in the first year.
Other than say, Yoshimura. As they, or someone like them, are going to be the only ones with any access to the new bike before the public gets it.
R&D takes time to make a quality product.
Something like a lever can be pretty universal (usually, but not always). Where as an exhaust not only has to fit, but flow better than stock. Then tooling, and all the steps in manufacturing.
If the new Busa came out tomorrow, rest assured the top tuners will tear into it, but even they need time to figure out a new engine's strengths, weakness's, ect.
A safe bet is that if there is a 2018 gen3, it'll be roughly another year before we can really buy whatever we want for it.

The good news is if your planning on doing it this winter, we will know if the 18 will be a gen 3 and have the stats by then.

.....maybe....we hope
Remember, this is Suzuki we're talking about.

That was my point. If they are going to do it, "IF". We will know by this winter. Not holding my breath, and don't think I would buy one the first year anyway.

That was my point. If they are going to do it, "IF". We will know by this winter. Not holding my breath, and don't think I would buy one the first year anyway.

This winter technically goes to March 2019...so yeah, lol

If I thought Suz was going to do a Gen-3 I'd expect a 1441 with less cam and head than you would build, so your Gen-2 1441 would be ahead of a Gen-3 already. If you bought a Gen-3 (lots more $$) would you be ready to spend thousands of dollars to improve it slightly with better cams, springs, and head to be as good as a built Gen-2? Probably not for the little gain, and I don't feel like there would be a streetable (durable, long life, high reliability) 1550 cc upgrade ready to go for a Gen-3 right away. So the dilemma would really be do you even want to buy a Gen-3 then try to figure out what to do with it? Maybe they will come out with something killer and I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised.

I totally agree with what you are saying. My big dilemma is I dont think the gen 3 is going to be naturally aspirated. With all the fuss going on with the H2 and lots of rumors swirling around it being turbocharged or supercharged THAT makes me consider doing it to the new motor. God its so hard to decide. Lol

First year anything can be good, or bad.
Never know what gremlins crawl in at the factory. And if they do, it takes at least a year to get rid of them.
It's also going to take the aftermarket time to catch up. There aren't going to be alot of options for aftermarket parts in the first year.
Other than say, Yoshimura. As they, or someone like them, are going to be the only ones with any access to the new bike before the public gets it.
R&D takes time to make a quality product.
Something like a lever can be pretty universal (usually, but not always). Where as an exhaust not only has to fit, but flow better than stock. Then tooling, and all the steps in manufacturing.
If the new Busa came out tomorrow, rest assured the top tuners will tear into it, but even they need time to figure out a new engine's strengths, weakness's, ect.
A safe bet is that if there is a 2018 gen3, it'll be roughly another year before we can really buy whatever we want for it.

I had considered this to. Usually the first year of any redesign or new in general takes some smoothing out.

I'm taking bets on what color the 2018 gen2 graphics will be now!
Who wants in?
Notice I didn't say bold or new. It's early, and that's kinda optomistic.

I will say some type of copper color. 99 was copper and grey, 08 was all copper, and Im banking the gen 3 will debut that way as tribute. Remember I said this. Lol

I totally agree with what you are saying. My big dilemma is I dont think the gen 3 is going to be naturally aspirated. With all the fuss going on with the H2 and lots of rumors swirling around it being turbocharged or supercharged THAT makes me consider doing it to the new motor. God its so hard to decide. Lol

I think the H2 is in a class if it's own. And maybe they make a forced induction option. But at what price?? You can buy a new busa get a RCC ultra for less than the price of a H2.

They will have to up the game eventually and be faster than the zx14 and BMW. My guess is it won't be 18.

I have doubts that the gen3 will be sc or turbo'd. Too mainstream a product line to jeopardize with making it hard and/or impossible to insure.

Plus, it would too good to be true, lol.

I think the H2 is in a class if it's own. And maybe they make a forced induction option. But at what price?? You can buy a new busa get a RCC ultra for less than the price of a H2.

They will have to up the game eventually and be faster than the zx14 and BMW. My guess is it won't be 18.

I agree. Im not saying I think it will be 18. It is just a hard call to make because you never know. I know Suzuki has something stirring though. I feel it. Lol. They know if you wana make money selling our type of bikes you have to be the best. Guys that ride what we do want every bit of performance they can get their hands on. Im sure Suzuki realizes....

"If you aint first....your last" lol

I agree. Im not saying I think it will be 18. It is just a hard call to make because you never know. I know Suzuki has something stirring though. I feel it. Lol. They know if you wana make money selling our type of bikes you have to be the best. Guys that ride what we do want every bit of performance they can get their hands on. Im sure Suzuki realizes....

"If you aint first....your last" lol

IMG_6686.JPG

Back