Tires... lack of options... cruiser tires?

Slowstang305

Registered
Alright guys....

So I have the Roaring Toyz 240/40/18 conversion in the rear and it seems like the supply chain has really hit the market and tires in this size are nonexistent. I have been running the Pirelli Diablos but they are out of stock everywhere. I called all things chrome and they put Avon Cobra's on their bikes which are V rated as well (149mph max) and considered Cruiser tires.

I do not race this bike and mainly cruise the highways so I don't NEED tires that can go 190MPH but in my mind W rated tires are probably built better. I guess where I'm at now I'm pretty much stuck on having to run cruiser tires which may work out pretty good for me since I'd rather put miles on it then carve canyons (I'm in FL).

Looks like my options are these....

1. Run Shinko 005 Advance Front Tires (120/70/ZR-17)
Run Shinko 005 Advance Rear Tires (240/40/VR-18)

2. Run Michelin Pilot Power CT2 Front Tires (120/70/ZR-17)
Run Michelin Commander II Rear Tires (240/40/18) (V RATED)

What would your choice be? Any other options in this obscure rear size you see available anywhere. In the perfect world Id love to put my Pirelli Diablo's back on but stock is 0 everywhere!

#0ption1 *

200.gif

On heavy sport/sport touring bikes I'm still a fan of a sport tire in front, and a sport touring rear.
That not only tends to even out front and rear wear times/miles, but the sport front is stickier.
The little contact patch of front tire is the majority of all your control.
Sport touring tires have a firmer carcus, and are a little less grippy, especially in cooler temperatures.
Just something to consider, it also gives you much more front tire options.
Sorry, I can't help you with the rear.
I know supply issues are everywhere, but I think the fat sportbike tire market has dwindled so much in recent years, that several manufacturers aren't making as many, if at all anymore.
If you find the tire you want, it may be a good idea to get another to put away, tires have a 5-6 shelf life.

Used to run Metz tyres on my 109. I know they do a 240 in the size you’re chasing. Maybe an option?

Alright guys....

So I have the Roaring Toyz 240/40/18 conversion in the rear and it seems like the supply chain has really hit the market and tires in this size are nonexistent. I have been running the Pirelli Diablos but they are out of stock everywhere. I called all things chrome and they put Avon Cobra's on their bikes which are V rated as well (149mph max) and considered Cruiser tires.

I do not race this bike and mainly cruise the highways so I don't NEED tires that can go 190MPH but in my mind W rated tires are probably built better. I guess where I'm at now I'm pretty much stuck on having to run cruiser tires which may work out pretty good for me since I'd rather put miles on it then carve canyons (I'm in FL).

Looks like my options are these....

1. Run Shinko 005 Advance Front Tires (120/70/ZR-17)
Run Shinko 005 Advance Rear Tires (240/40/VR-18)

2. Run Michelin Pilot Power CT2 Front Tires (120/70/ZR-17)
Run Michelin Commander II Rear Tires (240/40/18) (V RATED)

What would your choice be? Any other options in this obscure rear size you see available anywhere. In the perfect world Id love to put my Pirelli Diablo's back on but stock is 0 everywhere!
So out of what you've listed I would have to say the michelin tires even tho I'm not a big fan of michelin they do make some good tires. @ottafish beat me too it but I was gonna say I've seen some good reviews and talked to a few peeps that have ran the 240 metzler and they liked it

Thank you all for the responses. I'm sure I'm over thinking this but I've been playing with this in my head all day long. I think I'm going to do the Michelin combination and call it a day. A lot of bad reviews on Shinko with them causing vibration and being out of rounds. That kind of stuff scares me! It is astonishing about the number of videos that the Shinkos have about them. I know they are somehow related to Yokohama and Ive had very bad experience with those tires on previous cars as well. I will keep you guys updated when they come in and how they handle on the rocket.

Not that you want these tires but I have the dunlops on fat girl. They were what the dealer put back in when I bought it. I’m certain there are better tires out there but I have no issues running 65 in the rain and feeling comfortable. That said, on the Busa I had the pilot road 3 I believe. They were confidence inspiring in all weather conditions and great when I plowed into turns.

Back