Tire wear

I ran my original BT56 close to 6K miles. If I had twisties around here I'd be able to make more use of the sides and get even more mileage out of them.

There are so many factors you'll never get an exact number, but I say 5K is about average. This topic has come up a million times and people have claimed more than 10K out of a stock rear and others less than 2K.

What are your roads made out of? Some of the country roads around me are made of of crushed gravel that hardens like concrete after a few weeks...imagine riding on 80 grit sand paper (these are few and far between so I can avoid them like the plague). I hear some roads in FL are made out of crushed corral which is hell on tires.

I weigh between 155 and 160. If you're 6' 6" and 300 lbs you'll eat up tires.

A dumb azz that can't align a rear tire, BALANCE the tire (duh it feels smooth), set up the suspension or ride at the proper pressure will also eat up a rear. While you can't control what your roads are made of or how much you weigh, you can control how your bike is maintained and set up.

4500 miles on pilot powers .The rear wore fast once I started commuting.
I could have squeezed another 1000 miles on them if I just kept riding the bike in the twisties .

thanks for the post bigoltool,pdbusa,wwjd,mjn. Mjn how bad were you at 3600?
My first rear was at the wearbars at about 2800 miles.  I babied it for awhile...kept it below 70 mph and carried a fix-a-flat in my tankbag.  Not gonna do that again.  I'd never run a tire to the cords...EVER.  The tire really didn't look all that bad when I took it off....until I saw just how thin it was..

From now on, when it hits the wearbars...time to replace.

This is what my current rear looked like 400 miles ago (1500 miles).  If you look close, it is very near the wearbars..the good news is I am using all of it...no wasted rubber here!

may1606011.jpg
YEP USE IT ALL THE WAY >

I always do some nasty burn outs before I change mine .
firedevil.gif

I ran my original BT56 close to 6K miles.  If I had twisties around here I'd be able to make more use of the sides and get even more mileage out of them.

There are so many factors you'll never get an exact number, but I say 5K is about average.  This topic has come up a million times and people have claimed more than 10K out of a stock rear and others less than 2K.

What are your roads made out of?  Some of the country roads around me are made of of crushed gravel that hardens like concrete after a few weeks...imagine riding on 80 grit sand paper (these are few and far between so I can avoid them like the plague).  I hear some roads in FL are made out of crushed corral which is hell on tires.

I weigh between 155 and 160.  If you're 6' 6" and 300 lbs you'll eat up tires.

A dumb azz that can't align a rear tire, BALANCE the tire (duh it feels smooth), set up the suspension or ride at the proper pressure will also eat up a rear.  While you can't control what your roads are made of or how much you weigh, you can control how your bike is maintained and set up.
Mainly on paved asphault roads with gentle curves. Some better condition than others. I know a few good twistie spots. Some concrete. I am 6'1" 185lbs. I adjust my own chain and line up alignment notches. Still first tires so i guessed mounted and balanced right. My suspension set-up should be the default. I haven't ever touched it. Maybe i should check more closely. What set up do you run Turbo-Tourch?
42 psi right?
umnik.gif

I have around 6k on my mich. pilot power. Still a little tread left in the middle but getting close to needing a new one. I do power wheelies, a few burnouts, a little drag racing, and very few twisties (hey, its oklahoma). The thing will still hook up like no other, and yes I run 37psi in it.

<!--EDIT|bigjohn141
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149483791 -->

4,500 miles on Metzler Sportec M1's front and rear. Just starting to hit the wear bars on the rear tire. The front still has about a few thousand miles left to go.

I bought the bike last June with the tires already on the bike and about 1,000 miles on them from the last owner.

No burn outs or wheelies.

My next set of tires will be from
http://www.cycletires.com/index2.html
in the form of the T3 pattern.

I rode on a set of these tires on my brother in law's GSXR 750 for 500 miles before he sold it.

I rode them hard more than a few times after 100 miles of normal riding.

thanks for the post bigoltool,pdbusa,wwjd,mjn. Mjn how bad were you at 3600?
My first rear was at the wearbars at about 2800 miles.  I babied it for awhile...kept it below 70 mph and carried a fix-a-flat in my tankbag.  Not gonna do that again.  I'd never run a tire to the cords...EVER.  The tire really didn't look all that bad when I took it off....until I saw just how thin it was..

From now on, when it hits the wearbars...time to replace.

This is what my current rear looked like 400 miles ago (1500 miles).  If you look close, it is very near the wearbars..the good news is I am using all of it...no wasted rubber here!
YEP USE IT ALL THE WAY >

I always do some nasty burn outs before I change mine .  
firedevil.gif
That is exactly what I'm gonna do tomorrow!!!

I'll take pics!!
laugh.gif

Just ordered a set of Pilot Powers from swmototires.com. 265 for a set...shipped.

I could have gotten 5000 out of the originals OEM BT 56 riding like a grandma, but then why do I have the Busa I went to M-1s and you talk about disappear but they sure are sticky for the curves

On my third set of tires on Smaug, I'm at 21,500 miles on the bike and due for tires this summer. I get new skin once a year, that works out to almost 7k per set. Mostly highway, interspersed with seat puckering twisties, balled rubber lot's of the time as well.

Continental Force MAX, good ride, great price, good mileage too

3900 miles on the stock tire and have probably 700 to 1000 miles left.  Not many twisties and a lot of commuting to work which is easy driving.  I think this has helped to extend the tire life.

Courious on the Continental Road Attack post, sounds like a lot of miles, is it a hard tire?  I am looking for miles, but I want to keep the handling characteristics.
Its a touring tire but has plenty of grip!! I've drugged my left boot on this tire. Its reasonably priced also.

Here is the original rear tire at approximatly 5500 miles...this was right after a 186 mph run...i would have kept going faster but I don't have a tre yet...haha...definitely kidding...hoping to get about the same mileage out of the shinko raven i just put on.

P1010006a.JPG

No one has anything to say about my tire...I thought I was being funny...LOL...I guess I'm not as funny as I thought...HAHA

I'm two for two on double posts tonight...thats how cool I am...HAHA

<!--EDIT|MeatyFrank
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149825658 -->

I'm at about 8000mi now on my Avons and lots of tread left. I expect 10,000mi like I got on my sons ZZR1200 who rides with me. I change them before the wear bars, but usually the front sides are what cause a change (pushing the beast too much).

Here is the original rear tire at approximatly 5500 miles...this was right after a 186 mph run...i would have kept going faster but I don't have a tre yet...haha...definitely kidding...hoping to get about the same mileage out of the shinko raven i just put on.
5500 miles?!!!!
Mine was near that at 3000.
Stock B-Axe
wow.gif

I'm at about 8000mi now on my Avons and lots of tread left. I expect 10,000mi like I got on my sons ZZR1200 who rides with me. I change them before the wear bars, but usually the front sides are what cause a change (pushing the beast too much).
I got the Avon AV46 - Hope to get many miles.

No one has anything to say about my tire...I thought I was being funny...LOL...I guess I'm not as funny as I thought...HAHA
Thanks for the post, lol. Pretty funny I hope know one lets their tires get that bad. I am going to go a little past the wear bars i think. I am at about 2650 now and i am definately flush.

I got the Avon AV46 - Hope to get many miles.
I checked maw.com about the avons av46 and they are only rated to 149mph. If i was reading it right. Good for sport touring but the rare occasion when you really get on it i would want a z rated tire.
cool.gif

I changed my stock tires yesterday for the Pilot Powers. I had 4100 miles on my Bridgestones and they probablyhad about 500 miles left on them. I went ahead and chenged them both for the Michelins. I hope they'll last out the summer.

Dan

Back