Tire Pressure Monitor

here are a couple pics

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

Thanks for the info.... I too got a small nail in the rear and did not notice. The next day i checked the TP 11 psi... could have gotten ugly in a sharp curve.

Uncle Steve - thanks for pics - how is it attached - velcro, stickum, ziptie, etc - if velcro, did you glue it to the bar?? ordered one based on your comments - should get it by end of next week - your mounting location looks perfect -

I had tire flys on my bike and from traveling at high rate of speeds with them on both my valve stems cracked to the point where they lost air. ended up having a totally flat front tire.

Uncle Steve - thanks for pics - how is it attached - velcro, stickum, ziptie, etc - if velcro, did you glue it to the bar?? ordered one based on your comments - should get it by end of next week - your mounting location looks perfect -

Velcro, small piece about an inch by an inch, cut it in half to allow the battery door to be removed.
They claim 6 month life on the AAA in the remote. 2 years in the sensors.

I am going to remove them from the busa and install them on the trailer tires for the trip to the bash. If it works, more piece of mind. Not only will I be able to monitor the trailer tires, if a bearing overheats the temp in the tire should go up.
Momentary pressing the lower button displays temp.
I am not very optimistic about this. I doubt the sensor will transmit all the way to the cab.

the monitor worked on the trailer tires. We were able to monitor the trailer tires (pressure and temp) from inside the pickup. Not a bad thing. :thumbsup:

Steve let me run the set off the trailer on the busa at bash... I am sold... a few things I found very cool... knowing how long it takes a tire to get up to temp

BT003RS @ 31 never warmed up with ambient temps in the mid 50's unless you start beating on them pretty hard.

Also a worn out tire tends to take longer to warm up and cools off a lot faster than a new tire.. Best of all, when the bike feels a bit strange? you can rule out a flat tire instantly...

Going on my list of mods for sure...

I tested this on the trip to the Stampede, (3700miles). Headed out one morning and rear tire indicated 18psi. Luckily we were in Casper WY and there was a dealer with a new tire for the busa.
These are well worth the price and they have them on sale. They also will give you tire temperature at the push of a button. The peace of mind they provide far exceeds the price. Just look down and see your tires have the right amount of air pressure.
Install could not be any easier, install the batteries and screw them on the valve stem. Power up the remote.
One thing I found during the install and did not see it in the manual.
After installing each of the sensors, I had to unscrew them a few turns and then tighten them back down for the remote to pick them up. After this the remote reads them each time you power it up.
The sensors contain a button battery, good for 2 years max. AAA battery life estimated at 6 months.

TireGard Wireless Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitor System

I have a couple of concerns and a question.

Question: so, unlike SmarTire (which I have), the sensors always transmit regardless of whether the bike is moving or not, right? Not really an issue, just curious. Replacing a battery once in 1 - 2 years is not a problem.

Concern 1: the sensor weighs 43 g (around 1.5 Oz). At 180 mph, this will turn into a couple of pounds if not more - a lot of weight on the valve stem. This potentially can break/bend the valve stem at the most critical speed.

Concern 2: In order to operate, the sensor keeps the valve core pressed so the air escapes from the tire. The sensor itself keeps the air tight seal at the outside thread of the valve. The outside valve thread is designed to keep the valve cap on and not to provide a tight air seal. My concern is that in time the seal between the thread and the sensor won't stay ari tight and the tire may start slowly losing air.

You probably researched all of that. Any thoughts?

Question: so, unlike SmarTire (which I have), the sensors always transmit regardless of whether the bike is moving or not, right? Not really an issue, just curious. Replacing a battery once in 1 - 2 years is not a problem.

Concern 1: the sensor weighs 43 g (around 1.5 Oz). At 180 mph, this will turn into a couple of pounds if not more - a lot of weight on the valve stem. This potentially can break/bend the valve stem at the most critical speed.

IF you are running speeds like this, you should not even have rubber valve stems in the tires to start with (I think some LSR regs prohibit rubber valve stems?) But you I think have a point.. We in fact discussed this.. however we both have "metal" valve stems that screw into the rim with a backer.. I would also suggest if running like this, to balance tire with sensor in place..

Concern 2: In order to operate, the sensor keeps the valve core pressed so the air escapes from the tire. The sensor itself keeps the air tight seal at the outside thread of the valve. The outside valve thread is designed to keep the valve cap on and not to provide a tight air seal. My concern is that in time the seal between the thread and the sensor won't stay ari tight and the tire may start slowly losing air.

Yes entirely possible, but I think the odds of a flat tire are greater.. AND if it does start to leak?

it will tell you :)

You probably researched all of that. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Truwrecks what type of TP monitor system do you have installed on your bike?
I am thinking about getting one, but am wondering if this one will put too much stress on the valve stem? The Manual says the sensors only weigh 10gms. Don't know if this will cause any problems with the stem?

Rumble

I was going to agree about watching the stress on the stem...You really do need to if you are going to run any speed over (let's just say) about 160mph.

These things are a great idea for normal riding and cruising or anything within the normal legal riding speeds you would find on your local highway...but be sure to take them off when you want to go fast~!~

With newer valve stems you might not see much of an issue, but the normal everyday rider does not think about telling the shop to include valve stems every time the tire is changed...and even though the shop should ask or at least see any weakness, they don't always...

After a few changes the valve stems can be weak or possibly even cracked or dry rotted. By then, the extra weight will bend them over and there goes your air.

Not downtalking the system...again I think it's a great idea, just keep this in mind if you run them~!!~

IF you are running speeds like this, you should not even have rubber valve stems in the tires to start with (I think some LSR regs prohibit rubber valve stems?) But you I think have a point..

You are exactly right, and I myself have metal valve stems on all sets of wheels...I was thinking more about the normal rider that may periodically see some speed that doesn't always think about his valve stems being an issue...

This rider may change sets of tires 3 times a year and not think about valve stems until much later when they start to crack, weaken, or dry rot

(((I've seen it happen more than once))) NSATT ------------------------------------------------- New Stems All The Time~!~

Last edited:
You are exactly right, and I myself have metal valve stems on all sets of wheels...I was thinking more about the normal rider that may periodically see some speed that doesn't always think about his valve stems being an issue...

This rider may change sets of tires 3 times a year and not think about valve stems until much later when they start to crack, weaken, or dry rot

(((I've seen it happen more than once))) NSATT ------------------------------------------------- New Stems All The Time~!~
if spending $170+ on tire pressure monitor... should spend the little bit extra at the next tire change and install metal valve stems.. I think the benefits of the tire monitor systems far outweigh any down sides.. (probably why all cars are required to have them now days)

if spending $170+ on tire pressure monitor... should spend the little bit extra at the next tire change and install metal valve stems.. I think the benefits of the tire monitor systems far outweigh any down sides.. (probably why all cars are required to have them now days)

I would definitely agree...Just thought I would put the .02 out there as a thought to keep in the back of the lid~!~

Metal valve stems should solve this issue...but it's something riders should be aware of. Metal stems never even crossed my mind until I started LSR a while back. Did VIR road course in Danville on rubber stems, most people did...Always dragged on rubber stems...grew up on rubber stems.

Guess metal stems were invented sometime while I was getting old~!~ :laugh:

It's just not something people usually think about until some one says "hey you", why are you running rubber---or until a rule book brings it to your attention

But, take Bogus's advice...by metal, it's the way to go~!!~

I would definitely agree...Just thought I would put the .02 out there as a thought to keep in the back of the lid~!~

Metal valve stems should solve this issue...but it's something riders should be aware of. Metal stems never even crossed my mind until I started LSR a while back. Did VIR road course in Danville on rubber stems, most people did...Always dragged on rubber stems...grew up on rubber stems.

Guess metal stems were invented sometime while I was getting old~!~ :laugh:

It's just not something people usually think about until some one says "hey you", why are you running rubber---or until a rule book brings it to your attention

But, take Bogus's advice...by metal, it's the way to go~!!~
did you just call me old?? :poke::poke: :rofl:

OK. Never thought of that. Where do I get a metal valve stems, and what kind would you recommend? I looked at chaparral-racing.com. They have 10 mm diameter, and 14 - 16 mm, so which one? So, if I install the metal one, I don't have to change it ever, right?

LINK TO chaparral valve stem

I do an occasional high speed run way into triples..

Yeah, and what's "LSR"?

Last edited:
Mmm... OK. Don't see myself doing LSR. Still waiting on specific metal valve recommendations.

Back