timing retarder question

RJB

Registered
does the timing retarder retard timing in first second and third then in six gear also how does the tre afect in the drag strip
i know that this improves topend but we have a argument concerning 1/4 mile drag racing

TRE is timing retard eliminator.

It removes the built in timing retard in first second and third as well as removing the speed limiter in sixth gear by making the engine computer think the bike is in fifth gear all the time.

There is evidence to suggest it hurts quarter mile time because the bike thinks it's in fifth gear and is set-up differently. It is usually said to be a .1-.2 loss.

It causes the bike to run rich, there is not enough air at low speeds to match the amount of fuel the 5th gear map supplies.

Mr. Brown? That's the same thing I was thinking when I read r-james-b's post? Good point about the rich air thing!

You lost me on the 5th gear? I usually cruise in 5th at low speed. Should I use another gear? Would a map be in another gear or something? My bike is stock with the tre.

thanks for your answer.

I installed the GIPro w/atre. It soothed out the bumps in the off-idle response and did make the bike feel a little "richer". Smoother, but "richer".

it's this simple folks...Retarding "The Timing": is an "ignition issue" that affects gears 1st-4th...adapting a TRE of any make/model that tricks the ecu into using a 5th gear "Ignition Map" is NOT a bad thing provided one realizes that the 5th gear fuel map gets locked in as well...and provided you get your bike dyno mapped and tuned afterwards?...there should be no issues..as even though the dyno rolls are typically done in 4th gear?...with the ecu tricked into 5th gear?...the bike is still sitting perfectly still...as in...there is no ram air affect during custom dyno tuning/mapping....which if anything?...would render your busa a tad lean up top..and only a tad..as the stock snorkle/intakes are so small that the ram air affect is of little consequence until speeds of 150-160+mph are achieved.

Schnitz Racing sells larger replacement snorkles but the smaller stock snorkles is part of what causes and keeps the busa's low end might by creating a strong vacuum signal at low speeds (retaining negitive airbox pressure) and doesn't go "Positive Airbox Pressure" (for the ram air affect) until the speedo needle is way up the scale...and drag racers who are the least bit serious about what they do WILL custom tune the fuel mapping to a proper ignition map...and not the stock ecu's retarded one.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(2busa @ Oct. 15 2006,02:25) Mr. Brown? That's the same thing I was thinking when I read r-james-b's post? Good point about the rich air thing!

You lost me on the 5th gear? I usually cruise in 5th at low speed. Should I use another gear? Would a map be in another gear or something?  My bike is stock with the tre.

thanks for your answer.
You aren't hurting anything by cruising around in 5th. We are talking about getting the most power you can out of a given motor. In order to maximize power the air/fuel ratio must be as close to perfect as possible. Too much of one or the other and you lose performance. It's safer to stay rich, which is what the TRE does, but you will not extract all the power there is that way. Too lean and you will have big problems.
Hope that helped.......

(Mr Brown @ Oct. 15 2006,20:55)
(2busa @ Oct. 15 2006,02:25) Mr. Brown? That's the same thing I was thinking when I read r-james-b's post? Good point about the rich air thing!

You lost me on the 5th gear? I usually cruise in 5th at low speed. Should I use another gear? Would a map be in another gear or something?  My bike is stock with the tre.

thanks for your answer.
You aren't hurting anything by cruising around in 5th. We are talking about getting the most power you can out of a given motor. In order to maximize power the air/fuel ratio must be as close to perfect as possible. Too much of one or the other and you lose performance. It's safer to stay rich, which is what the TRE does, but you will not extract all the power there is that way. Too lean and you will have big problems.
Hope that helped.......
have you ever tuned a Busa?
your statement needs to be rewritten

(Johnnycheese @ Oct. 16 2006,05:55)
(Mr Brown @ Oct. 15 2006,20:55)

thanks for your answer.
Hope that helped.......
have you ever tuned a Busa?
your statement needs to be rewritten
No I have never tuned a Busa, but does it differ from other internal combustion engines in some way? I know you have a lot of Busa tuning experience Johnny, but what was the point of your post? In what way does mine need re-written? If you aren't gonna correct me, why bother to comment on what you think is wrong? Just to attempt to demonstrate your superior Busa knowledge? Whatever guy.

So with the TRE, I am under the impression that a Power Commander would eliminate all of the "mis-tune" caused by the TRE. Am I correct?

(JET-A @ Oct. 16 2006,08:18) So with the TRE, I am under the impression that a Power Commander would eliminate all of the "mis-tune" caused by the TRE.  Am I correct?
That's what I would like to know? But I don't think you really need one....Unless you live at the salt flats or something.. If you want one I guess you could always leave it in your tool kit "just in case"like me.....
super.gif

i`ve had my smart tre off for 200miles around town rideing miles and i perfer to have it. will be re installing it again.
no i have never tuned a busa but i know how it feals to me.

I have an Ivan's TRE on mjy '06 and find the idle and low end seem to be much smoother with it on. I did not install it to get the added performance, just to make it run a little better. For that, it seems to work fine.

I would still like to know if a PCIII will make much of a difference with the TRE. I think it would, but that is only based on the very limited theory I understand.

Just wondering if anyone has done this, and what the results were.

well?....as i hear it?...here's sumpt'in ya can't do with a late model busa without a TRE of some sort....

DYNOTOPSPEED.jpg

biggrin.gif

why did they run it in 6th gear? I thought they should be in 4th? My dealer did mine in 4th,,,,and it read 149.59hp, 93.45 torque with just yoshi slip ons,,,,,

Had another done for free at hooters bike night, they did a 6th gear run 153.6 max speed 194.4 no torque
with the addition of pcIII and k&n air filter & tre...

(JET-A @ Oct. 16 2006,11:18) So with the TRE, I am under the impression that a Power Commander would eliminate all of the "mis-tune" caused by the TRE.  Am I correct?
Yes but you would have to have someone tune the bike via the power commander. Simply buying one and slapping it on your bike wouldn't do anything.

(2busa @ Oct. 21 2006,01:34)
(Johnnycheese @ Oct. 18 2006,15:46) for the  umteen time you do not need a TRE period.

wow 6 years and the same question.
Why not?
a) it is not a cure for every Busa
b) it does not get rid of any timing retard because there is no retard
c) there are better ways to fix the stummble
d) there is a better way to exceed the limiter

(tinbender0 @ Oct. 18 2006,22:06) why did they run it in 6th gear? I thought they should be in 4th? My dealer did mine in 4th,,,,and it read 149.59hp, 93.45 torque with just yoshi slip ons,,,,,

Had another done for free at hooters bike night, they did a 6th gear run 153.6 max speed 194.4 no torque
with the addition of pcIII and k&n air filter & tre...
There's a good question for the J.C. .
Why did they run it in 6th gear? I hear all the time on this forum the bikes should be run in 4th but had a Pro AMA,NHRA Pro stock motorcycle drag racer and tuner tell me they should be run in 6th for max power.
This guy has competed on the AMA Prostar Racing Circuit in several categories including the Pro-Modified, Pro-Street, Street Bike Shootout and Formula Super Bike classes. He has set and reset the Outlaw Pro-Street Bike record 4 times, lowering the elapsed time to 7.47 seconds and in 2000, raised the mile per hour to 190mph for the Pro-Street class. I had to ask him when he did my bike why he didnt run it in 4th and he said power runs must be run in 6th gear. I explained to him
that I heard it should be run in 4th. He then told me again. So J.C. can you explain why 4th and not 6th or the other way around? My only guess is that if a bike is mapped out for max power in 6th (99 & 00 busa's?) then then thats where they should be run for max power. That is just my guess john. Please don't beat me up. Oh and John, Thanks for your knowledge bro. You know your craft.

Back