Thinking of re-locating to the SW: want: good p

Might take a look around southern Utah....St George area? Not much cold...not much precip.....]

Hell, sounds a lot like south central washington!

I could have ridden every day for the last few weeks here. No problem.

Its not all about the roads and weather. You have to be able to make a good living and have a nice place to live. As for the weather...all year round riding sounds good enough to me. Vegas is only hot from June to August. Even on Christmas day its about 60...and it only rains about every 4 weeks for a day or two, and then another 4 weeks of dry.

Move to a city that is on the move. Unless you have a lot of money and are ready to kick back, you need to go where the jobs are.

St. George? There is nothing in St. George. Utah has some nice roads to ride on, but you dont want to LIVE there.

Arizona is a beautiful state, and has a lot of nice cities to live in.

<!--EDIT|HayaVegas
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129661482 -->

So Cal is the way to go not too hot not too cold. Twisties are everywhere. Vegas too HOT.

I lived in Vegas from 00 - 03 and loved the city. BUT, the riding blew in my opinion. Really only four areas close by to get your lean on and the LEOs were WAY too common (and overly aggressive) for me. The squids pulling standups on I-15 in traffic ruined it for the rest of us IMO... Also, because it rarely rains, the roads were slick as $hit. But like I said before, I LOVED Vegas for the other things it offered. If you get bored in that town, you have issues... Also, it's very much a "service" economy so your mechanical skills should help you find a decent job.

My $.02

Forgot to mention: If you are into straight-line, high-speed blasts rather than curves, GO TO VEGAS! Wide open desert roads for miles and miles...

Minnesota~~~U know why:p
biggrin.gif

im not sure how old you are but, if u are older or retired.. flagstaff would b a decent place to live *as well as sedona or prescott* great weather, plenty of outside things to do. but from a younger persons point of view*im 24*.. all they r.. are hippie towns (not joking). they r nice to go up to for the weekend (for skiing/snow boarding in the winter) but besides that, unless im just riding thru .. i wouldnt go there. just to damn hippyish
laugh.gif
maybe thats just the young whipper snapper in me.
tounge.gif
my parents like going to flag alot (my parents are 53/64), im just not a fan of it.

Come to Phoenix.  Yes it can get hot in the summer and if someone tells you it's a dry heat put a bullet in their head.  Hot is hot.  Anyway  I ride to work everyday that I can and have put 7500 miles on my bike since April.  There are some pretty good twisy roads close to town.  Flagstaff is not high desert.  It is pine forest and pinion juniper.  Lots of elk and deer to run into at night.  It is beautiful country though.  7500 ft elevation and low 90's in the summer.  It does get down into the teens in the winter with moderate snow.  It is a college town as NAU is there.  I don't think it would be easy to find enough work to sustain yourself there thats why I mention Phoenix.  I just made a ride up to Flagstaff a couple of weeks ago and made it there in a little over 1 1/2 hours including stops for gas.  Its about average 150 miles from Phoenix depending upon where you live in Phoenix since it's pretty spread out.  I can send you short clips of a ride that I took WWJD(when he rode his busa here from Iowa) on that shows some pretty good twisty road within 1 hour or so of town.  We spent about 7 hours and 300 miles that day and he enjoyed it.  Just ask him about the twisty roads and deep canyons.  There is a lot of beautiful country here to see and experience.  There are many lakes nearby also.  And yes a quad can come in handy if you like to go play in the desert.  If I knew how to post those short vid clips I would but I can at least email them to you.  Do a search for WWJD's Iowa to Arizona thread and check it out.  He has some good pics(a few of me on my 05 blue and silver) and good info about the trip.  If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

<!--EDIT|djorgensen3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130084601 -->

Welp I dont know...Vegas sounds so awesome but the lack of twisties and slippery roads would probably get to me after awhile.

Phoenix or outside of that area sounds like the only realistic place for me but I am not so sure I could handle the place all year long.

I am not from the Pacific NW either..I grew up in Dallas TX so I know what muggy heat is all about. Ive been to Vegas and I enjoy the dry heat.

Southern CA sounds really good too but I dont care for CA politics, and some of the other crap that comes along with living in a popular place like that.

I am thinking I might be happy just moving south a little ways....perhaps Oregon somewhere. Ive actually done a little job searching and Oregon looks to have some nice opportunitys.

Hell I might even be happy just moving south to the Tacoma area...jobs are plentiful in my field.

We will see.

Central Oregon is growing like crazy. Great weather...LOTs of great roads. Could be a good choice.

Even the other side, the Willamette valley area, doesn't have as much precip as you do up there..beautiful country too.

Central Oregon is growing like crazy.  Great weather...LOTs of great roads.  Could be a good choice.

Even the other side, the Willamette valley area, doesn't have as much precip as you do up there..beautiful country too.
Yeah there are some nice options.

I looked @ jobs in your area Mark...its just not happening much plus you have some straights near you that would put me in prison or under ground.

Yea...Know what you mean:D You ought to try and hook up with a franchise dealer....dough is better, most pay for your training...could be a good gig if you found a good dealer.

Funny you mentioned Dallas, Texas. I went to high school there. I hated Texas. Anyway the only problem I have with the Phoenix area is the dang bluehairs, and I don't mean to insult all of you premature grayhairs as I am one of them. I have to drive through Sun City to and from just about anywhere and they(bluehairs) just don't drive worth a ####! You should come down here and check it out. Riding weather all year long. If you don't mind driving through a furnace every summer, it's not bad.

Funny you mentioned Dallas, Texas.  I went to high school there.  I hated Texas.  Anyway the only problem I have with the Phoenix area is the dang bluehairs, and I don't mean to insult all of you premature grayhairs as I am one of them.  I have to drive through Sun City to and from just about anywhere and they(bluehairs) just don't drive worth a ####!  You should come down here and check it out.  Riding weather all year long.  If you don't mind driving through a furnace every summer, it's not bad.
Hey DJ, where you on the North 101 riding west around 4:30 PM Saturday? If it was I passed you on the otherside going East. I live off Carefree Hwy and I-17...If that was you PM me so we can hook up an ride.

Anyway, Phoenix is awesome! Year round riding and many, many, many, twisties in the foothills all around here. There's a couple of really nice lakes centrally located if your into water sports. And one of the top three job economies in the United States today and there's no sign of slowing. Houses are appreciating at a rate of 40% per year in most areas..thanks to pissed off CA peeps trying to get a nicer house for half the price.

Well, good luck to ya whatever you decide!!

Dan

Come to Phoenix.
do u take the 101 north to the I-10 east in the mornings (like ur going to the downtown area).. and is ur bike a blue/silver? im always going I-10west - 101 south in the mornings (leaving downtown, going to el mirage) and i always see a busa around 75th ave. i hear u on riding all the time, ive had my busa since may and have just over 82xx miles on her.

<!--EDIT|AZIROC
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130103614 -->

Hey Bro I think I accidentally hi-jacked your thread. Sorry I have since begun PM-ing these gentlemen. But still MOVE HERE!!!!

Back