Thinking about making a long ride...

I'd ship it. Tell them to leave it in the crate and ship it to your local dealer. It's cheaper. Your gonna pay for setup anyways.
I'd like to think I would ride 1200miles, but in reality I know I wouldn't like it.
The main thing is be truthful in what kinda rider you are. Are you REALLY a long distance rider. 1200miles on a stock seat IS a long way, even in a car. Plus, on a bike your not used to. It would suck to be halfway home and realize it was a BIG mistake. Then possibly end up with you regretting your purchase. I wanted to give you some realistic advice, rather than the "Just do it" comments you get.

If you do ride it back, GET A GEL SEAT.

I have a stock seat and fortunately I like it just fine.. I take 600+ mile daily rides when I get a few days off and have never had a problem with the seat. I did do the Buell Peg Mod and really like that, but that is all I've done to it besides cosmetic stuff. He said he takes long rides on a regular basis so I don't know why this would be an issue, and if it is, just ride fewer miles and take an extra day.. JMO.. :beerchug:

I'm about ready to go ahead and buy a new '08 from a dealer in NC. I had planned to do this months ago, but as with many of my plans, things just didn't work out. I want to fly in, then ride back to TX and probably wouldn't think twice about it if I were to do it on my HD electraglide, but....this is ALOT different.

1200 miles on an unfamiliar sportbike in the winter probably sounds pretty dumb, even to me, and I really want this bike! The price is too good to pass up and if I book in advance, my fare will be around $100. Trailers or pickups aren't an option right now, but a pickup might be a possibility in the future.

Guess what I'd like to know is this: would anybody else consider doing a ride like this under similar circumstances? Cross country rides are no big deal to me, but this would be a first...on a hayabusa. Thanks.

I'm from Ontario Canada and I did a sweet trip a year and a half ago, as far south as 2 hours from Mexico City. ...not sure if I can ever beat that trip. Course unless I go further south lol
Check out the trip if you like, see link
Third Wheel Trailers - When play becomes the long haul, we are right behind you.

Personally, i would LOVE to do something like that. I think you'll be fine, and more importantly it will be an experience that you'll never forget. :beerchug:

:thumbsup: Buy it and have them store it for a couple of weeks until Bash...then ride it home. Who knows...you might find someone that lives between there and Texas that is at the Bash and can trailer it part of the way home :thumbsup:

Back