Thinking about making a long ride...

Unless you hit the mountains of NC you should be fine this time of year. I-85 doesn't sound like mountains to me. Early morning hours will be the cold time. Make sure you have good gloves.

Don and I did some similar traveling in Feb of this year and except for the early morning chill I was good.

I wore a Joe Rocket Alter Ego. My hands bothered me because my gloves were not for winter riding.

If you're use to a sportbike the 1200 miles won't bother you. The Busa is extremely comfy IMHO

Unless you hit the mountains of NC you should be fine this time of year. I-85 doesn't sound like mountains to me. Early morning hours will be the cold time. Make sure you have good gloves.

Don and I did some similar traveling in Feb of this year and except for the early morning chill I was good.

I wore a Joe Rocket Alter Ego. My hands bothered me because my gloves were not for winter riding.

If you're use to a sportbike the 1200 miles won't bother you. The Busa is extremely comfy IMHO

My hands are usually the worst for me too...I've worn 2 pairs of gloves w/liners before because of snow and was ok. In my early days we used to wrap our legs and upper body with newspapers lol...but gear is alot better these days. I asked some opinions on Alter ego pants and sidi On Road boots. I'm also looking at Fieldsheer's Mercury pant and Congo jacket. Or I could just pick up the Charlotte Observer and go with what I got now...lol

I feel like a pud for even hesitating at doing 1200 miles

Ape - read this: , it's a book I wrote about a lil ride across The South in the 1st week of January. 1st day was 1200 miles, the longest day was 37 hours of sitting in the saddle.

My 'gear' as jeans, long johns, and my flight jacket. A sleeping bag and some military rations for food.

Fun little story. :thumbsup:

get yourself some saddle bags so you can be prepared for the weather. Also include a tire repair kit just in case you have a blowout. Thay would really be me only main safety concern. Plan a few different routes in the event you hit bad weather. Just plan your routes with a more southern path. The mountains may be the only trouble area.

I would go for it...like others have said though, gear will be the most inportant part. Some electric heated gear would be your best option I think. If you can't do that, then make sure you layer up. I have be out in 30-40 degree weather and the longer I rode, the colder I got...kinda like it wears you down. I was fine for the first 40 miles or so, but after that, I started to slowly get cooled down. Also, make sure you plan for dealing with some rain, chances are good you will hit some along the way. Once you have your gear taken care of, then just be careful and enjoy the ride!!

After you get back though, shoot me a pm so we can hook up and do some riding!!! :thumbsup:

I'd ship it. Tell them to leave it in the crate and ship it to your local dealer. It's cheaper. Your gonna pay for setup anyways.
I'd like to think I would ride 1200miles, but in reality I know I wouldn't like it.
The main thing is be truthful in what kinda rider you are. Are you REALLY a long distance rider. 1200miles on a stock seat IS a long way, even in a car. Plus, on a bike your not used to. It would suck to be halfway home and realize it was a BIG mistake. Then possibly end up with you regretting your purchase. I wanted to give you some realistic advice, rather than the "Just do it" comments you get.

If you do ride it back, GET A GEL SEAT.

Last edited:
Ape - read this: , it's a book I wrote about a lil ride across The South in the 1st week of January. 1st day was 1200 miles, the longest day was 37 hours of sitting in the saddle.

My 'gear' as jeans, long johns, and my flight jacket. A sleeping bag and some military rations for food.

Fun little story. :thumbsup:

Impressive Pashnit...something tells me that you did that when you were a younger man...:laugh: The flight jacket, c rations, and sleeping bag, (bungied or roped to handlebars or sissybar?) tells me that you must've just got out of the service...or was it more recently on a busa? If so then....:bowdown::bowdown:

get yourself some saddle bags so you can be prepared for the weather. Also include a tire repair kit just in case you have a blowout. Thay would really be me only main safety concern. Plan a few different routes in the event you hit bad weather. Just plan your routes with a more southern path. The mountains may be the only trouble area.

I'll have a small water-proof duffle bag that'll bungie on the passenger pillion. A tank bag will be in my future after some heli-bars when I get her home...I have a plug kit already...and know to use it:laugh: I'm also an over the road trucker....changing routes as needed is my specialty!

My impression is that you are more concerned about the bike than yourself? The bike is a non issue(500 mile+ days are commonplace), except for the fact that your body will not be used to the riding position.It will take some getting used too, but what better way to get aquainted than on a long trip. The wind protection is fairly good.If you have time,have dealership install a double-bubble windscreen(puig,zero gravity,suzuki) for the trip back.You will more than likely do this in the future anyway.You aready know about the gear! So have a safe, enjoyable trip.I for one am jealous and I am sure, I am not the only one!:bowdown::beerchug:

I'll have a small water-proof duffle bag that'll bungie on the passenger pillion. A tank bag will be in my future after some heli-bars when I get her home...I have a plug kit already...and know to use it:laugh: I'm also an over the road trucker....changing routes as needed is my specialty!

The bike comes with the rear hump...just have the dealer ship it home for you :thumbsup:

I wouldn't have a second thought about it, I WOULD DO IT in a Flash :cheerleader:. Infact, I have a trip planned for early next year to go to NC, the Outer Banks area, down to Charleston and back in about 10 total days (real easy including required NC Family Stops). And that's from North Centeral Oklahoma. JUST DO IT :thumbsup:. Ya know, you can ALWAYS STOP and rest for a while if you need to :beerchug:

Your 1200 miler is a "SNAP" for a 2 dayer, and a "LAZY TROLL" if you use 3:easy:

I would go for it...like others have said though, gear will be the most inportant part. Some electric heated gear would be your best option I think. If you can't do that, then make sure you layer up. I have be out in 30-40 degree weather and the longer I rode, the colder I got...kinda like it wears you down. I was fine for the first 40 miles or so, but after that, I started to slowly get cooled down. Also, make sure you plan for dealing with some rain, chances are good you will hit some along the way. Once you have your gear taken care of, then just be careful and enjoy the ride!!

After you get back though, shoot me a pm so we can hook up and do some riding!!! :thumbsup:

Your ride looks great! No doubt heated gear would be the solution to at least keeping my core warm, but as I said earlier in a previous post, it's always been my hands that take the biggest hit. With the exception of a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket, the rest of my gear consists of cruiser type leathers including chaps! Don't worry...I ain't ridin' a busa with chaps! So..I'm shopping for overpants, and a different jacket.

Will be honored to get together with you and do some riding after i get back!

My impression is that you are more concerned about the bike than yourself? The bike is a non issue(500 mile+ days are commonplace), except for the fact that your body will not be used to the riding position.It will take some getting used too, but what better way to get aquainted than on a long trip. The wind protection is fairly good.If you have time,have dealership install a double-bubble windscreen(puig,zero gravity,suzuki) for the trip back.You will more than likely do this in the future anyway.You aready know about the gear! So have a safe, enjoyable trip.I for one am jealous and I am sure, I am not the only one!:bowdown::beerchug:

I'm thinking like you are on the windscreen..double bubble for sure. I'll talk to the dealer a week befor I leave here in case he has to order a puig in..thx.

Also wanted to say, move your body around so as not to be in the same position all the time-pressure points! I cut down my stock foam(seat) same day I bought it and installed a gel pad a few months after,did it myself. The gel pad doubled the seat time comfort:cheerleader: for me.

I'd ship it. Tell them to leave it in the crate and ship it to your local dealer. It's cheaper. Your gonna pay for setup anyways.
I'd like to think I would ride 1200miles, but in reality I know I wouldn't like it.
The main thing is be truthful in what kinda rider you are. Are you REALLY a long distance rider. 1200miles on a stock seat IS a long way, even in a car. Plus, on a bike your not used to. It would suck to be halfway home and realize it was a BIG mistake. Then possibly end up with you regretting your purchase. I wanted to give you some realistic advice, rather than the "Just do it" comments you get.

If you do ride it back, GET A GEL SEAT.

The '08's that are left are already assembled...at least to my knowledge. Having it shipped wasn't something I've really thought about tho.. I know what you mean about a long ride, regardless about what type of bike it is. There's being in shape and then there's being in RIDING shape. I'm ready for it...!

Also wanted to say, move your body around so as not to be in the same position all the time-pressure points! I cut down my stock foam(seat) same day I bought it and installed a gel pad a few months after,did it myself. The gel pad doubled the seat time comfort:cheerleader: for me.

I have a big gel pad that I use on long rides on my Harley...it won't take up much room in the duffle on the flight and may work in a pinch on the stock seat...I know it helps alot on the Harley..

Just keep in mind that if you are wearing gear it will scratch your new bike before you get it home. Any distance on a bike will need a tank cover or at least painters tape in the rub areas. Buy some S100 for when you get it to the garage.. oh .. heated gear wires up quick too. bring some it's winter time, but it can be done!!!!! :thumbsup:

The '08's that are left are already assembled...at least to my knowledge. Having it shipped wasn't something I've really thought about tho.. I know what you mean about a long ride, regardless about what type of bike it is. There's being in shape and then there's being in RIDING shape. I'm ready for it...!

Well, if your up for it, then do it. It's an experience.

It's like when I helped a good friend of mine move from Denver back to the DC area in a moving van. Did I want to drive that? No way, but the experience was worth it. I got to see Texas. Stopped in Vega, Tx.

Last edited:
Back