The Wow Factor... A Sierra Nevada Pashnit Ride

Stop it right now Tim! Lookin forward to our 4 day in the spring.....Doyle

now im gonna have to do a ride at ice house this weekend
bowdown.gif
nice pics
beerchug.gif

We were on the northern stretch of 49 by the little Hoover dam (Bullards Bar) about 10 days ago. As we throttled up out of a long right hander we scared the expletive deleted out of a very large black bear wandering across the road. I think we are all still shaking our heads over that one.
Norcal continues to tickle me 12 shades of pink every time I turn the key. Thanks for the reminder Tim
bowdown.gif

Cosmo, fun area along Bullards Bar Dam (Marysville Rd)! Don't see bear too often. Quick hint is on the west side of the dam (few turns away) is a paved road headed north. Don't think there was even a road sign for it, possilby. That's Oregon Hill Rd which is paved goat trail up to Challenge and the venerable La Porte Rd. Up and over the pass to Quincy, connect back to Graeagle via Hwy 89. Than loop back on Gold Lake Hwy to Hwy 49 Yuba Pass into Downieville. Great loop!

Same Hwy 49 as pics above, but 200 miles north of above pics, this one shot outside Downieville
Img_0876-Hwy49.jpg

Another quicky fun ride in that area is Pleasant Valley Rd to Bridgeport Covered Bridge. The northern half is really goaty, but southern half great fun with no traffic!

Img_0773-800.jpg

Cosmo, fun area along Bullards Bar Dam (Marysville Rd)! Don't see bear too often.[/Quote]
The Moonlight fire in the Greenville area (65,000+ acres) drove a lot of animals out of the forest. This fellow was out in the middle of the day...in the middle of the road. Looked a little thin for this time of year IMO.
The Gray Eagle lake (sp?) highway you mentioned is the closest thing we have to the Isle of Mann road course here in the colonies. Incredible sweepers with good visibility and perfect pavement. Although I've never personally done it, I hear you can redline 4'th gear with the knee down for quite a distance......repeatedly.

pashnit i would just like to say that you are 1 hell of a photographer.in my opinion they are the best photos i have seen in a long while.i have set a landscape 1 as a wallpaper hope you dont mind but they are trully amazing
beerchug.gif

good work and please keep us posted on your tours as it is just a dream to see this.
super.gif

Beautiful photos. I have been trying to talk my wife in to learing to ride so we could take a vacation in that area and ride some of that beautiful country. Thanks for the picts.
beerchug.gif
bowdown.gif

Again, Wow!

I'm just bummed you didn't take (and post) more!

Simply beautiful!

(probusa @ Sep. 26 2007,10:17) pashnit i would just like to say that you are 1 hell of a photographer.in my opinion they are the best photos i have seen in a long while.i have set a landscape 1 as a wallpaper hope you dont mind but they are trully amazing
beerchug.gif

good work and please keep us posted on your tours as it is just a dream to see this.
super.gif
Thanks pro- that's a helluva compliment. I've had photos published in Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Sportbike, etc. over the years which is pretty cool. Photography is really just a hobby for me, just always take a camera along when out riding. I have no formal training in taking pics & never read any 'how-to' books. Really just learned by doing, and taking tens of thousands of shots of bike+road over the years.

Was recently asked if I would share 'pashnit secrets' about my style of photography so I whipped up some rough text awhile back. Really ought to develop this into a webpage someday, but have a looksy, might get some helpful hints out of it if you like to shoot motorcycle photograpy. The camera I have is a Canon Pro1. About '04 vintage ($500 then), and no longer made. You can still find them, and last guy I knew that got one picked one up for about $312.

---------

Pashnit Photo 'Secrets'

I know very little about cameras. The last two cameras I've bought, I found somebodies photos that looked good, asked them what they had, and bought their camera. My previous 4 SLR cameras were 2nd hand freebies all given to me. Wore every one of them out. Incidently, I've shot about 20,000 photos with this camera and it's just about worn out too.

I always shoot on 'auto'. Might surprise you to learn that I know very little about camera terminology & nomenclature.

I never use a flash. 99% of the time I'll use natural light, even when shutter speed gets down to 1/8 of a second. Find a wall to lean against, and use the natural light to your advantage.

I don't use filters such as UV or tint, that sort of thing. I even bought the kit for this camera, but have never used it. Keep thinking I should try it though.

I love the flip out screen & will probably not get a camera without one. This allows shots with camera held high above head, around corners or down low.

The Pro1 camera (on auto) actually produces photos that are somewhat bland in the color. Or at least to me. I doubt this is indicitive to this camera, others pics when posted look the same too if there's no post-production.

One lil sidebar thingy is I'm colorblind so I never mess with colors on the camera settings (or in post-production), as I'm never sure exactly what I'm looking at. Last time I was tested by the military, they rated me at 90% across the spectrum. The nifty green lawn you have looks red to me. Traffic lights aren't green, they're white. So I go when the traffic light turns white.

I'm huge on using the zoom. This camera has a 200mm lens so I've often mentioned in threads zooming the camera all the way (don't use the digital) than start walking backwards (taking pic of your bike for example) until your bike (and some background) fits in the frame.

I'm big on cropping. Take the shot with the highest setting your camera has (these are usually 4M & 3200 pixels wide) so you have lots of square area to work with later on.

Frame the shot. A simple technique, use a tree on the left side, a building, a mountain side, something.

I'm huge on triangulation, or using triangle shapes in the shot in turn create create layers.

About 'layers' in the shot. Object in foreground, the middle, background in the back. Easy example is shooting ridgelines as they layer away from the viewer. Forest Rd 1 is famous for this.

Scenery shots are boring. Anyone can take a picture of a mountain or lake. Something needs to be happening in the shot to make it interesting to the viewer.

I always follow the rule of thirds, or whatever it's called. Think of the shot divided into thirds. While that's in reference to composition, also consider the next rule...

I always try to introduce a 'leading line' into the photo. This is a line that goes diagonally across the photo. Easy example is road that goes into the distance. Using a fence that stretches off is another example.

If you shoot into the sun with roads, the roads will glow. Shoot roads away from the sun, and the road blends into the shot.

Triagulate the sun into the camera lens. Another way to say this is bounce the rays of the sun (off your bike for example) in a tiangle shape into your camera lens.

A photo should tell a story.

You need to have three things going on it a shot. Scenery + bike + person = story. Curvy road + scene + bike = emotion. Again, picture of mountain. One thing going on = boring. If you can create emotion with a shot, you've got the viewer.

I'm huge on 'composition'. This is everything to me with photographing stuff. I'd also call it 'placement of objects'.

I read somewhere that the eye/brain when it looks at a photo, will follow an 'backward J' pattern when it looks at the photo. So I try to use that rule alot when setting up the composition of the shot. How they come up with that stuff, I've no idea.

Thanks for the additional info on the little dragon Pashnit. There is a guy here with me that has driven those roads in his tuner car and he hasn't stopped reminiscing about his drive.

and thanks for the camera and photo taking info.....that was going to be my next question.

Please make these photo journals a more frequent addition to the site! Look forward to participating in one of your rides one day....soon as I can get back out west.
beerchug.gif

WOW!!!
AMAZING!!!

The landscape, the roads... everything is magnificient and you have great skills... thank you for sharing the photos and the tips...

Back