The "BUFF"

Ive built MANY bombs for that plane... It does a great job.

We deployed to the UK during Allied force, brought 13 B52s with us.

7 B1 Bombers were already there and had been bombing milosevic's armies for over a month. But the B1s break all the time...

B52s carry 45 500 pounders a load
B1s carry 84 500 pounders a load

We passed the amount of Explosives on Target that the B1s dropped in less than 3 weeks after we arrived.
If they asked for 8 planes that day, we had 8 BUFFs in the air. If they asked for 3, we had 6. If they wanted 10, we somehow managed to get 10 off the ground...

The B1s flew 4 of their 7 birds on a good day, normally it was 2. I remember several days only 1 could get off the ground.

Its a great plane, like Kevin said, its cool wathing the "elephant walk" a row of 10 or 20 bombers taxing then taking off. it is like total darkness with all the smoke!

Oh the memories!

I can't believe I missed this post, I had to resurrect it!
laugh.gif

Deployed to Hickam AFB once for a bomb comp... B1s arrived and were immediately grounded for ejection seat issues... deployed another time and they were grounded again... The BUFF was, is, and always will be the BEST Bomber in the fleet...

The B-52 is an awesome weapons platform. Older than the pilots flying her.

Here is what I used to work on.... the F-111 "Aardvark" aka "Wispering Death". Unfortunatley the Aussies are the only ones still flying them today. Our F-111s were replaced by the F15 Strike Eagle.

<!--EDIT|macbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111444719 -->

f_111_02.jpg

Deployed to Hickam AFB once for a bomb comp... B1s arrived and were immediately grounded for ejection seat issues... deployed another time and they were grounded again... The BUFF was, is, and always will be the BEST Bomber in the fleet...
I agree man. If a BUFF breaks before a mission, it just powers down the engines, taxis back, or sits at the EOR for like 20 minutes. Crew chiefs get it fixed, and it takes off a half hour behind schedule...

You know what I miss? The smell of them. You never forget what a BUFF smells like. Its very distinct and unique...

I assume you are stationed at Canon Or Holloman? I know know which is next to Rio Rancho.

What is your AFSC? AMMO troop here.

The B-52 is an awesome weapons platform.  Older than the pilots flying her.

Here is what I used to work on.... the F-111 "Aardvark" aka "Wispering Death". Unfortunatley the Aussies are the only ones still flying them today. Our F-111s were replaced by the F15 Strike Eagle.
Yeah, when I left Barksdale in 2001, the newest B52 there was a 1961 model... The oldest was made in 1957.

I love how when they fly, it looks like the nose is pointed down, but it is actually gaining altitude...

The F-111 was phased out just before I joined up, never had the pleasure. Heard some real nice stories about it tho!

I agree man. If a BUFF breaks before a mission, it just powers down the engines, taxis back, or sits at the EOR for like 20 minutes. Crew chiefs get it fixed, and it takes off a half hour behind schedule...

You know what I miss? The smell of them. You never forget what a BUFF smells like. Its very distinct and unique...

I assume you are stationed at Canon Or Holloman? I know know which is next to Rio Rancho.

I was at Cannon AFB. I remember filling out my dreamsheet for overseas assignments the first day I got to Cannon. I don't miss that place a bit. Nightshift in the winter time suuuucked!

I worked Aero Repair on B1's for eight years....no parts available for them and everything was always a red x item. TDY's were great though....always got to see the sites:;):

BUFF's could take off and land with half a wing and only two functional gear....Awesome friggin plane.:D

I agree man.  If a BUFF breaks before a mission, it just powers down the engines, taxis back, or sits at the EOR for like 20 minutes.  Crew chiefs get it fixed, and it takes off a half hour behind schedule...

You know what I miss?   The smell of them.  You never forget what a  BUFF smells like.  Its very distinct and unique...

I assume you are stationed at Canon Or Holloman?  I know know which is next to Rio Rancho.

What is your AFSC?  AMMO troop here.
I was at Cannon AFB.  I remember filling out my dreamsheet for overseas assignments the first day I got to Cannon.  I don't miss that place a bit.  Nightshift in the winter time suuuucked!
YEah I keep hearing that place is pretty bad. In the middle of nowhere?

I worked Aero Repair on B1's for eight years....no parts available for them and everything was always a red x item. TDY's were great though....always got to see the sites:;):

BUFF's could take off and land with half a wing and only two functional gear....Awesome friggin plane.:D
And they can fly with only 2 of their 8 engines, so long as one is on each side...

Thats what the word is anyway

I agree man.  If a BUFF breaks before a mission, it just powers down the engines, taxis back, or sits at the EOR for like 20 minutes.  Crew chiefs get it fixed, and it takes off a half hour behind schedule...

You know what I miss?   The smell of them.  You never forget what a  BUFF smells like.  Its very distinct and unique...

I assume you are stationed at Canon Or Holloman?  I know know which is next to Rio Rancho.

No longer active duty. Was up at Minot AFB.

And they can fly with only 2 of their 8 engines, so long as one is on each side...

Thats what the word is anyway
Saw one once fly (land) with only 4 engines running... I also have heard that it would fly on just 2 (one on each wing)...

I was at Cannon AFB. I remember filling out my dreamsheet for overseas assignments the first day I got to Cannon. I don't miss that place a bit. Nightshift in the winter time suuuucked!
YEah I keep hearing that place is pretty bad. In the middle of nowhere?
Middle of nowhere is an understatement. If God was to give the Earth an enema - he would stick the tube in Clovis, NM.

OMG. My first assignment was at Kirtland AFB and I drove out to Clovis one weekend when I was bored. What a shitehole... Don't wish that assignment on anyone. Well... maybe a couple o' people...

Ok, have any of you's been to Minot, ND..... might not smell as bad, but it's in the middle of nowhere and the weather is just awesome if you enjoy 100F summers and -70F winters.... flightline would get down to around -80F with windchill at night... But the fishing and hunting was great!!!
laugh.gif

I was at Cannon AFB.  I remember filling out my dreamsheet for overseas assignments the first day I got to Cannon.  I don't miss that place a bit.  Nightshift in the winter time suuuucked!
YEah I keep hearing that place is pretty bad.  In the middle of nowhere?
Middle of nowhere is an understatement.  If God was to give the Earth an enema - he would stick the tube in Clovis, NM.
beerchug.gif

That bad huh?

I always thought the same thing about Witchita Falls, TX.

I guess its not too bad, DFW is only 90 mins away on a Busa!

Ok, have any of you's been to Minot, ND..... might not smell as bad, but it's in the middle of nowhere and the weather is just awesome if you enjoy 100F summers and -70F winters.... flightline would get down to around -80F with windchill at night... But the fishing and hunting was great!!!
laugh.gif
Yeah all the B52 folks at barksdale said it was a great jet to work on cuz they got to go between Louisiana (the sportsmans paradise) and Minot.

Both places have great hunting and fishing!
At barksdale, they even do a drawing to hunt 10 alligators a year... Wouldn't that be cool!

Back