Tank Bags

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
I've never really cared for the look of the tank bag but if I'm gonna start takin longer rides I can see the practically of havin some storage space, there's only so much I can fit under the hump. What brand tank bag is recommended? Are there any specific brand that I should stay away from? Just hopin to get some recommendations from those of you that are already using one, pics wouldn't hurt either. THANKS

There is only one IMO.

Bagster setup. Expensive? A little. Value? Priceless.

The tank bag expands. Really nice feature. I was out on a ride and bought some leather chaps. $40.00 I couldn't pass it up.

Just unzip the center section and the bag carried the goods.

r8

0022-1.jpg
0042.jpg

I have one made by Nelson Rigg. The quality is very good. It's magnetic so it's easy to take on and off.

The following is a un-paid endorsement.. It may not represent the views or opinions of the owners of this website or their affiliates

Yea Bagster..

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" width="800" height="533" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&RGB=0x000000&feed=http%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F1gighost%2Falbumid%2F5113923337605150625%3Fkind%3Dphoto%26alt%3Drss" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

I use a mini Cortech tankbag and like it a lot.  It expands a little but isn't too big, as I too don't much like the look of a tankbag on a Busa.  Sticks well even in triple digits, very secure and easily removed.

IMG002Small.jpg

I've seen the Bagster set up and it looks cool for a bag set-up, but I don't understand the need for the whole tank to be wrapped up and hidden. I've ridden with my magnetic bag (Rapid Transit Recon 19 - see below) for a couple years with heavy items packed in there and it's never moved an inch. Why would someone hide the paint job of their tank, especially when it's the only area of the bike that has a solid paint job to it, unlike the plastics.

"Let me wrap a bra over my tank it to protect it but so you can't see the tank"
rock.gif
If you ever get in a wreck you may as well replace it with an unpainted stainless steel tank since you won't see it anyway.
firedevil.gif

RTR_19.jpg

Gene, make sure you dont get one that is too big. I had a Joe Rocket that was too big, I couldnt tuck in very well, couldnt see the dash as well.

The Joe Rocket small Manta bag is perfect. It can hold my camera, flash light, wallet, cel phone, snacks, tooth brush & paste, 1 bottled water, extra gloves ... amazing what can fit! about $45

manta.jpg

Old one was TOO BIG.  

OH and I have a slightly damaged small manta one you can have.

feb23rd_019.jpg

I just sold my JR Manta(small) and bought a Nelson Rigg SS-110. I liked the way the manta hugged the tank, and it held ample, but I couldn't get an extra shield into it.
I didn't like the way the straps hung off sides of tank on the NR, so I had them custom cut smaller. So far so good. No pics., sorry.

I've seen the Bagster set up and it looks cool for a bag set-up, but I don't understand the need for the whole tank to be wrapped up and hidden. I've ridden with my magnetic bag (Rapid Transit Recon 19 - see below) for a couple years with heavy items packed in there and it's never moved an inch. Why would someone hide the paint job of their tank, especially when it's the only area of the bike that has a solid paint job to it, unlike the plastics.

"Let me wrap a bra over my tank it to protect it but so you can't see the tank"
rock.gif
If you ever get in a wreck you may as well replace it with an unpainted stainless steel tank since you won't see it anyway.
firedevil.gif
I second this one, had mine over a year now and literally "don't leave home without it"! Just TOO spoiled with having a can of Plexus, clean cotton cloths to clean visor at each stop, EXTRA visor (taking zero room because it lines the inside of the bag), tire pressure gauge (big mother), two bottles of spring water, extra shirt (depending on season), ball cap (to protect my dome when the helmet is off), pair of rubber gloves, small emergency flashlight (LED, steady beam, flashing, or SOS morse code).

THEN I decide if I need to take anything extra, because there is still room for stuff in there! Digital camera, or camcorder, or jacket liner, etc.

Oh, and you CAN tuck because of the tapered shape-as a matter of fact, I've heard of guys putting soft stuff on top and laying on it for long rides to reduce wind drag and relax the lower back...
smile.gif

I own the complete set of Cortechs and I love em.
My bike is so bagged I could pack a weeks worth of clothes.  Saddle, rear seat, tank bags.
I also found if you scotchguard them, you don't even need the rain guards.

The comparatively cheaper than most and wear and tear are exceptional.
Very rider friendly.

Both styles here.... I promise your tank will get scratched without a Bagster! IF that pretty paint is important to you then my I suggest a tail bag. Otherwise, your not going to be a happy camper. I've had several different tank bags over the years and I agree, They aren't going to move (empty or loaded). Now, every time you stop to fill up with fuel you will be forced to remove the tank bag and thats when the carnage starts. You can protect the top with clear 3m or the likes, but get caught out while its raining and it'll come off almost every time. So, you have a couple of hard decisions to make...

1. Scratched paint?
2. Pretty cover?

lurk.gif

Both styles here.... I promise your tank will get scratched without a Bagster! IF that pretty paint is important to you then my I suggest a tail bag. Otherwise, your not going to be a happy camper. I've had several different tank bags over the years and I agree, They aren't going to move (empty or loaded). Now, every time you stop to fill up with fuel you will be forced to remove the tank bag and thats when the carnage starts. You can protect the top with clear 3m or the likes, but get caught out while its raining and it'll come off almost every time. So, you have a couple of hard decisions to make...

1. Scratched paint?
2. Pretty cover?      

lurk.gif
No scratches here and I use it on three different bikes. Its all in how you place it and remove it. Also, don't set it down on anything metal as the magnets pick up everything. Also, don't pull it off the tank when refueling (lift) it off. If I have to set it down somewhere I set it on its top. 21,000 on the Busa and thousands on my other bikes and no scratches.

1. Scratched paint?
2. Pretty cover?      

lurk.gif
No scratches here and I use it on three different bikes.  Its all in how you place it and remove it.  Also, don't set it down on anything metal as the magnets pick up everything.  Also, don't pull it off the tank when refueling (lift) it off.  If I have to set it down somewhere I set it on its top.  21,000 on the Busa and thousands on my other bikes and no scratches.
I found out the hard way what working in a machine shop can do to your tank, via the magnetic tank bag.
banghead.gif

1. Scratched paint?
2. Pretty cover?      

lurk.gif
No scratches here and I use it on three different bikes.  Its all in how you place it and remove it.  Also, don't set it down on anything metal as the magnets pick up everything.  Also, don't pull it off the tank when refueling (lift) it off.  If I have to set it down somewhere I set it on its top.  21,000 on the Busa and thousands on my other bikes and no scratches.
I found out the hard way what working in a machine shop can do to your tank, via the magnetic tank bag.  
banghead.gif
I'll bet that's true! You also learn very quickly that in a welding shop, NEVER pick up anything knocked on the floor...before you know its cool enough to pick up.

Both styles here.... I promise your tank will get scratched without a Bagster!
That's kinda my point. I agree your tank and plastics WILL ultimately develop small scratches and/or swirlmarks...c'mon people afterall it's a bullet train of a motorcyle. So what's the point of hiding the tank under an ugly bra if you're never even going to see it?! And please don't tell me the bra looks better than the painted tank.
dunno.gif

Back