Suzuki Pulling out of AMA?

I would really like to hear what some of the old guard have to say about it? The Kenny Roberts', Eddie Lawson's and Kevin Schwantz's of the world.
Freddie Spencer, I think during the Barber rounds, said on-air that the new DMG structure is a good idea and he's totally excited about it. He said it should improve the racing and since DMG is NASCAR-oriented, then it should do the same for roadracing.

I found this as a suprise. I wasn't sure if Fast Freddie really thought it a good idea or if he was just saying that to "save face" on SPEED just to keep his job. It prolly would sound wrong if he just went on a tirade of DMG slander and bashed the new class structure for next year. I dunno.

I wasn't sure if Fast Freddie really thought it a good idea or if he was just saying that to "save face" on SPEED just to keep his job. It prolly would sound wrong if he just went on a tirade of DMG slander and bashed the new class structure for next year. I dunno.
I think you nailed it on the head. Freddie is not going to say anything unprofessional on the air that would undermine the new series. Mladin gets big props from me for speaking his mind in plain sight because frankly he really has nothing to lose at this point.

Theres another twist to this story unfolding today. The AMA announced that they would race at Mid Ohio rain or shine and when the riders commitee went to look at the "safety improvements" they couldn't find any. Mladin (and un-named others)is already saying he will not race ot Mid O if it rains! DMG has said nothing thus far. I can only imagine this will escalate in the coming months. At least it gives me something to do on my lunch hour!
laugh.gif

I'm all for the riders striking if it rains!

The majority of US tracks are know to be substandard when it comes to runoff.

Thanks for posting the link .

Quote:

When asked at Elkhart about the status of the AMA's rider committee on track safety, former Superbike champion Mat Mladin said succinctly that it didn't exist and won't exist in a "dictatorship".

To me at least , he does not seem to be posturing for a TV job .

Quote:

There's a multitude of strong personalities involved in this situation, including the factory riders, Michelle Truman Gajoch, owner and promoter of the Mid-Ohio event, and the Daytona Motorsports Group. Collectively and individually these are people who don't take kindly to lines drawn in the sand.

The riders aside , are the track owners and DMG in position to really do anything about it if the riders don't budge ? Is there any legal contracts to account for ?

It would seem to be a golden opportunity for DMG make a few points and step up and support the riders decision. If the place is dangerous in the wet and none of the officials do squat about it then what kind of message does that send through the paddock? Mid O and Road Atlanta are two that come to mind when I think of tracks in need of major safety improvements. Heres a more in depth review of the situation from RRworld.

The plot thickens...

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
There has been a unanimous decision by all factory riders, after inspection of Mid-Ohio Raceway during the test on June 11th, that no factory rider will in fact participate in a wet race during the scheduled Superbike event at Mid-Ohio on August 2nd and 3rd. The reason for this announcement is to inform the fans, who are under the current impression that they will in fact see a wet race by all Superbike riders, that this is not the decision of the factory riders who tested at Mid-Ohio due entirely to safety concerns.[/quote]

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jun/080611h9a.htm

Unbelievable!!
argue.gif

F#@K DMG!!
guns.gif

DMG has now clearly made the case that they are willing to put riders at risk so other people besides the riders can make money!

EVERYONE knows that some US tracks are dangerous. And now DMG wants to tell everyone that Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, Infineon and VIR are all safe in the rain
guns.gif

The only thing that has changed with these 4 tracks is DMG. That's it...

guns.gif

DMG also said that there is no Rider's Safety Council.

Its obvious to me DMG wants the manufacturers and top riders out.

If you read his whole schpeel he basically states that they'll do whatever they have to do to put on the show they are contracted to put on! They could give a crap about rider safety or that the show is worth watching.
guns.gif

As I suspected Roger Edmundson comes out and calls all the guys who are saying they wont race in the rain pussies. That ought to be productive.
poke.gif

A little backlash.
article/email from some AFM racers who race frequently at Infineon:

AFM racer's response to DMG comments about rain race/track "non" safety

Again,Edmondson comes off sounding like the jack a$$ that he is. He really should do a little research about club racers before he makes a stupid remark like that. May his racing series die a tortorous death.
whistling.gif

It's beginning to sound
argue.gif
 like the IRL and Indy Series split  
boxing.gif
. Which destroyed BOTH in my opinion
2cents.gif
 ! They're just not worth looking at or following anymore
sad.gif

I wasn't kidding when I said it was akin to the old Wild West shows Buffalo Bill put on! Just a bastardized version of what real racing ought to look like.

This is just too good to pass up!!!
laugh.gif

Classic example of Karma!

"With scenes of sliding cars and tow trucks on screen, television commentators explained how slippery and "treacherous" the course was when wet, and how easy it was to crash.

Among the drivers backed into the gravel traps was J.C. France, son of DMG principal Jim France."
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Burn in he11
firedevil.gif
Roger Edmundson!

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

This just gets better and better. Now the Manufacturers are talking about starting there own Superbike series!

This reminds me of the Teresa Earnhart VS Dale Junior deal last year. Tony stewart commmented to the question "What is Dale Earnhart incorporated
without Dale Junior" Tony's reply? A Museum! What is the AMA series without the support of the manufacturers? A club race!

Back