stock pipes mod

congrats, they look sharp! i used the threaded rods and they rattled over time so i swapped them out. i still dig that look with no regrets. did you rivet the end caps top and bottom only? that is what i can make of it anyway. :beerchug:
Schism

Hi Schism

Thanks for the compliments. :beerchug:
With the end caps I havent finished yet. I actually got the wrong thread pitch in some stainless button head bolts. I had to bend the 3 flanges in so the chrome end cap would hide the pop rivets.
It was so hot and humid here yesterday here in TN that I was dehydrated near the end of the job. So rather then rushing and taking a chance I figured I would finish up today. Right now I have 2 screws holding the end cap on, one factory shorty and one allend cap screw that was longer.
No drilling, but its defenitly a deeper tone with no raspy sound.
I dont know know what the inner pipes are made of but mudda fukr they are hard to get through LOL!!:rofl:

Sorry for the huge pic, still learning here. hopefully this is better.

14vtpxz.jpg

Last edited:
Schism

Hi Schism

Thanks for the compliments. :beerchug:
With the end caps I havent finished yet. I actually got the wrong thread pitch in some stainless button head bolts. I had to bend the 3 flanges in so the chrome end cap would hide the pop rivets.
It was so hot and humid here yesterday here in TN that I was dehydrated near the end of the job. So rather then rushing and taking a chance I figured I would finish up today. Right now I have 2 screws holding the end cap on, one factory shorty and one allend cap screw that was longer.
No drilling, but its defenitly a deeper tone with no raspy sound.
I dont know know what the inner pipes are made of but mudda fukr they are hard to get through LOL!!:rofl:

Sorry for the huge pic, still learning here. hopefully this is better.

14vtpxz.jpg
personally, the rivets were an eyesore for me that is why i sent 3 threaded rods through the entire can from the flange exit to the mid pipe. then i used that red RVT bond crap from an auto parts store to give a tight seal for the end piece to the can. you don't want to lose pressure. i bored out (6) 1/4" or 1/2" holes around the flange under the end cap for a throatier sound. sound was awesome but i lost some low end torque. just tossin' some ideas out for ya. i dug up an old shot of them.

20090818_13.jpg

20090818_12.jpg

I want to say thanks to the detailed write up.
I am new here and this forums rocks!
I didnt drill any holes in the box as other have.
The best way I can describe the noise change on a 1 to 10
Stock Exhaust Tone= 2
Mod Exhaust Tone= 6
Performance increase= None still torque wheelies at 7K+
Deeper tone, sounds nice not obnoxious.
Total Mod Time= 4.5 hours.
155h3r7.jpg

The cans look great. Now get rid of that hideous mud flap and reflectors and you will be good to go.

A lot more then you think!

I never understood that either. Some people cover there plate/tag depending where your from. What do you when you park your bike at a store? Cover Your Plate? Do you cover your plate when your out riding? :whistle:

If someone is going to steal your bike, They will steal it! Pay the insurance company and dont worry. :thumbsup:

The cans look great. Now get rid of that hideous mud flap and reflectors and you will be good to go.

LOL! As matter of fact the reflectors came off today! :thumbsup: Finshed the end caps with stainless steel button heads and chrome flat washers. I did have to drill the holes out a lil bigger since the flanges were tapped in so the end cap covers the rivets. Came out good looks factory.

Yes, that mudflap on the back looks like something off a dump truck I agree.
I am just not sure how its going to look with the standard length swingarm. I am looking at options now, no I dont want to extend the swingarm, I kind of like the roll on torque wheelies in 1st, 2nd.

Last edited:
personally, the rivets were an eyesore for me that is why i sent 3 threaded rods through the entire can from the flange exit to the mid pipe. then i used that red RVT bond crap from an auto parts store to give a tight seal for the end piece to the can. you don't want to lose pressure. i bored out (6) 1/4" or 1/2" holes around the flange under the end cap for a throatier sound. sound was awesome but i lost some low end torque. just tossin' some ideas out for ya. i dug up an old shot of them.

Bike color scheme looks great!:thumbsup:
Yeah I used the high temp copper silicone to seal the end cap and then used 6 huge ass rivets to hold the end cap on. I read where some have drilled 1/2 in holes through the inner to get a louder sound. I didnt really care for that raspy loud sound. The shorter mufflers with no holes sounds like a turbo bike sound, deep and quiet with no rasp, just deep. I didnt lose any low mid or high end. Still pulls the same, by the seat, no dyno or ET to compare any difference.

LOL! As matter of fact the reflectors came off today! :thumbsup: Finshed the end caps with stainless steel button heads and chrome flat washers. I did have to drill the holes out a lil bigger since the flanges were tapped in so the end cap covers the rivets. Came out good looks factory.

Yes, that mudflap on the back looks like something off a dump truck I agree.
I am just not sure how its going to look with the standard length swingarm. I am looking at options now, no I dont want to extend the swingarm, I kind of like the roll on torque wheelies in 1st, 2nd.

I had stock shorties too, they're now different slipons. Here's a shot of them with just the tag and no mudflap. My Dad made me some ss brackets, but Blanca Busa has a DIY thread where he used his rear reflector brackets as tag mounts. It does a great job and alot of members have used it.:beerchug:

SDC10962.jpg

SDC10961.jpg

I had stock shorties too, they're now different slipons. Here's a shot of them with just the tag and no mudflap. My Dad made me some ss brackets, but Blanca Busa has a DIY thread where he used his rear reflector brackets as tag mounts. It does a great job and alot of members have used it.:beerchug:

Looks good.:thumbsup: What kind of seat is that? Do you have any pictures from the back? Also do you have a link for the thread on the mudflap removal?
Thanks

Looks good.:thumbsup: What kind of seat is that? Do you have any pictures from the back? Also do you have a link for the thread on the mudflap removal?
Thanks

It's a Corbin seat. These aren't very good pictures either, but all I have. I'll see if I can find a link for Blanca's tag bracket thread too. If not I'll pm him to post it here for you.

SDC10479.jpg

009.jpg

SDC10480.jpg

Stock pipes just do not look good...IMO:whistle:

I agree I loved the 09 body and the white but the stock cans were such an eye sore to me, They were so long. Glad I found the write up on here and all the help and advice from those that contributed to the can cut mod. I love the sound deep sound and not loud.
Yes, the first one is a PITA I guess the hardest part of the whole thing was cutting the inner pipe GD what is that chit made of. LOL 2nd one was a breeeze to do.

Did this mod to my 08, love it! Took about 2 hours to do both mufflers. Has anyone used any type of RTV to seal the external chrome end cap, to hide the huge gap/rivet heads that you can see from a certain angle?

Did this mod to my 08, love it! Took about 2 hours to do both mufflers. Has anyone used any type of RTV to seal the external chrome end cap, to hide the huge gap/rivet heads that you can see from a certain angle?

when i did mine a few years ago i used RTV bond and it was tough to make it unoticeable. it is a red bond and i did the best i could to seal the end cap without making it too obvious. all in all, it sealed the cut end cap piece well and it was only obvious if you got down eye level.

hmmmm. hmmmm. do i have the skill/ tools to do this. maybe well find out, i have 3 more months of winter to find out. 3 more months until i can ride my new to me 08 busa for the first time.

I WILL say that I appreciate this mod and your ballz to actually do it. Its a great starter for an exhaust system. But later on, how many of you would trade up to a couple of aftermarket cans or a full system?

Honestly though, the look great and again, great job on the mod!!! :thumbsup::beerchug:

The weight loss on the gen2 is noticeable when flicking the bike side to side through curves, and you get a little sound(maybe, maybe 1 or 2 hp that you'll never feel).
I cut my stock mufflers down before adding aftermarket bolt-on mufflers, and later a full system.
Cutting the stock mufflers is definataly worth doing.

Back