stock pipes mod

Thanks JesseJ, the only thing I did different was riveted the end cap to the muffler before I put it in the outer shell. :beerchug:

Just finished my mod. Second attempt looks alot better and sounds awesome!!!! I didn't like seeing the rivets and careless scratches so I cut another 1/2" off and used a roll of high temp epoxy putty to fix the end back in the canister. I didn't notice much sound difference the first time, so I drilled three 1/2" holes in the baffle wall in each canister. That made a very nice difference. Rollin on the throttle sounds sweet. The stainless end cap fits very loose, as the diameter of the canister is smaller 10" in. To hide any scratches and hide the bead of epoxy, I tapped each end screw with a hammer and a piece of wood with the cap installed . This made the cap move foward about a 1/4" more, covering the epoxy bead better. If you do use rivets, don't drill in the middle edge of the canister!! There are welds on the end cap on all three sides in the middle. Broke some drill bits and made extra holes trying to get the rivets in. That was another reason I took another 1/2" off and used epoxy. Be carefull with the hack saw!! It is sooooo easy to slip and screw up the finish on the canister. Some of the end cap screws would not come out, so I had to grind the heads off. The screw was frozen in the nut. Ground the nut off the back of the tang and put a new nut and screw in the hole. Tightened it after getting it centered and dabbed some JB weld on the tang and nut. Backed the screws out after the JB dried, and the nuts stayed secured in place for cap installation. Took awhile to do, but was worth it. Runs awesome!! No problems with fuel mixture or mapping. Runs just as strong if not stronger. Sure does sound faster....... Good luck

Last edited:
Deeper and louder, but not obnoxious. I haven't found anyone that didn't like the sound yet.
thanks patrick for the detailed walk through and convincing me to gut the can. they sound phenomenal! you were dead on with the sound. great write up by j.jones and jimpy (rivetless cans), this was the better alternative for me cause' i liked the cleaner look. the 1st can took me forever but the 2nd one was a snap. here is a link for anyone interested in the "jimpy mod". :thumbsup: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/105789-short-std-cans.html

thanks patrick for the detailed walk through and convincing me to gut the can. they sound phenomenal! you were dead on with the sound. great write up by j.jones and jimpy (rivetless cans), this was the better alternative for me cause' i liked the cleaner look. the 1st can took me forever but the 2nd one was a snap. here is a link for anyone interested in the "jimpy mod". :thumbsup: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/105789-short-std-cans.html

Glad to hear everything worked out, but now we need pictures!

yeah, i figured you would say that, so here ya go. :whistle: the first 2 shots are blurry cause' i think the batt. was dying.

20090523_39.jpg

20090523_41.jpg

20090523_01.jpg

if done right they are a little louder than stock, but much deeper. I dont find mine to be annoying at all while riding like some of the aftermarket ones. I put a couple of videos on youtube that will give you an idea of the sound.

- 2008 hayabusa stock exhaust mod[/url]

- 2008 hayabusa stock exhaust mod[/url]

there are a couple of my clips (not the best), but if you search Youtube some of the other guys have put some videos with better equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to say thanks to the detailed write up.
I am new here and this forums rocks!
I didnt drill any holes in the box as other have.
The best way I can describe the noise change on a 1 to 10
Stock Exhaust Tone= 2
Mod Exhaust Tone= 6
Performance increase= None still torque wheelies at 7K+
Deeper tone, sounds nice not obnoxious.
Total Mod Time= 4.5 hours.
155h3r7.jpg

congrats, they look sharp! i used the threaded rods and they rattled over time so i swapped them out. i still dig that look with no regrets. did you rivet the end caps top and bottom only? that is what i can make of it anyway. :beerchug:

Back