Stock Pipe Modifications?

it helps with the sound i cut off 1.5" and 9 .5" holes. sounded good.
super.gif

if you take the can off you can put 2, 1 1/2 hole saw cuts in to the baffel from the rear of the can so you do not have to mess with the rivets, and it will sound sweet that what I did

i already cut 9 1/2" holes in my pipe ends.. and cut the tip off.. it sounds sweet.. i put the chrome cap back on.. but im loving the way it was sounding with out the CHROME CAPS...

I drilled mine last weekend. I took the end covers off and used a 2 3/8" hole saw over the end of the dinky exhaust pipe sticking out. If you take the mufflers off and look into the ends, it is very mis-leading. It looks like an inlet pipe and an outlet pipe inside. This is only half true. The muffler is actually 3 chambers. I used the same hole-saw on the baffle on the inlet side. Now it has a straight through shot. It made it louder, but not too loud. (I have to go to work at 6 AM, and no neighbors have complained yet!)

I drilled 12 holes on each sides, 4 between each of the mounting screw.

Once done I cut the tub flush with the baffle so it doesn't look retarded and sticks out. I used a dremel tool with cutting wheel to but from the inside of the tube out. It goes without any problems if you take your time.

I then coated everything with high temp paint, added chicken wire to cover the holes (just for look, you could skip this) and put everything back together with lockite.

With 12 holes and the tube removed it makes quite a bit more sound. Nothing out of control but it's louder than my 600 Katana with Yoshi pipes. About as loud as my buddy's 919 with Yoshi slip-on.

Time spent: 1.5 hour taking my time.
IMG_0905.JPG

I have my stock cans drilled; not as ambitious as you guys. I think my husband only drilled 4 in each, but we've got a spare set of stock cans to play with, so I'll try the 9 holes next time around...

I've been running my modded stock cans for nearly 4 years, NO ISSUES...yep, free mod for those of us that can't go spend $ on 4:1 or blingy slip ons and a dyno
cool.gif

If you don't drill the front baffle plate (at the mid pipe) you will only need a regular drill bit. The front baffle is recessed about 8-10", I forget just how deep but with just 4 bolts, you can see for yourself. You're gonna love the sound. Very healthy!

thanks, i dont feel like busting out the saw atm, just want to hear the sound with the holes drilled for now about to put end caps back on then fire her up, will post what i think in a short

Nice..... sounds good and looks just like it did before, actually sounds like I have a beast of a bike a lil bit now. Was glad to run into yet another freebie/cheap mod here on boards, you guys are awsome, someone should do a sticky full of just cheap/ easy mods. Or atleast a post with a linky to all the pages for em. And possitivly no remapping required? This will in no way harm the internals?

(071300r @ Sep. 06 2007,10:47) if you take the can off you can put 2,  1 1/2  hole saw cuts in to the baffel from the rear of the can so you do not have to mess with the rivets, and it will sound sweet that what I did
Drilling the inlet sounds very good I was more than happy when I did mine.I did not like the sound of the drilled rear so I had to weld the holes back up.

Back