Stock Pipe Modifications?

LB ROLLER

Registered
i keep hearing about people modding there stock cans to sound louder. how do people go about doing this? or can i get a link? getting a full exhaust in about 2 months but want stock to sound just a bit louder for themean time....

It's simple:
Take a dremel with a cutting wheel and carefully grind the spot welds off of the six screws (3 on each) on the rear of the mufflers. Once the welds are off you can just unscrew the screws and remove the back cover off of the mufflers.
Now, with a 1/4 drill bit drill 9 holes in each muffler keeping the holes as close to the edge of the muffler as possible so that when you put the end cap back on you won't see the holes.
When done, use high temp loctite to secure the end plates back on with the stock screws.

Making the holes any bigger or any more of them will not increase the sound (I have tried and this was just as loud).

Doing this keeps the mufflers looking stock but they are twice as loud (but still nowhere near as loud as any aftermarket muffler).

I done this with mine, only made a slight increase on sound. If you are getting the new exhaust I wouldn't waste time doing it.

I used a 1/2" drill bit and drilled the nine holes in the end baffles and five holes each in the front baffle plates (will need a long bit) and left the beauty cover off and painted the ends after masking, with 1500 degree paint. Looks good and sounds GREAT!

If you are not going to buy a FULL exhaust I would not waste the money on slip-ons at all. This past weekend at Johnny Cheese's Dyno a fairly new 2007 Hayabusa with drilled stock cans made more power across the board and more torque than any others with just slip ons. Brett was putting down 155.5 rwhp with no mods other than drilling the stock cans to six half-inch holes and re-installing the caps.

cool cool so all i have to do is drill six holes under the chrome cover on the tip of the cans? i removed the bolts already and just wondering if i just drill holes around the plate thats covered by the chrome one?

(LB ROLLER @ Sep. 04 2007,04:flamethrowing:) cool cool so all i have to do is drill six holes under the chrome cover on the tip of the cans? i removed the bolts already and just wondering if i just drill holes around the plate thats covered by the chrome one?
NO, NINE holes on the end baffle.

Yep, three holes each between the rivet posts for the beauty cover. I didn't want any restriction in sound so I left the beauty cover off, replaced the screws and painted the end plate. Very nice growl! I posted a pic somewhere but can't seem to find it.

did 6 holes on each can with a 1/4" drill bit.. i have got say WOW this thing sounds F'n NICE... might go with the full 1/2" makes car alarms chirp on almost...lol

Found a pic

IMG002__Small_.JPG

(CBXRider @ Sep. 04 2007,04:12) I used a 1/2" drill bit and drilled the nine holes in the end baffles and five holes each in the front baffle plates (will need a long bit) and left the beauty cover off and painted the ends after masking, with 1500 degree paint.  Looks good and sounds GREAT!
Sheesh...
laugh.gif

Back